[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Rankings, Player write-ups and projections are up

DMD

I thought Dominik Hixon was a little low. Is the thinking that the rookie is going to come in and take away some plays? I thought that Hixon has always done a very nice job filling in for Plax and always scored pretty well during his fill ins?

It is still too early to say really. I do expect Hakeem Nicks to push him though and at least get some playing time during the season. Training camp hopefully will clarify the situation but the Giants are going to be all new with WRs this year and that could prompt some changes or opportunities along the way.

It is still too early to say really. I do expect Hakeem Nicks to push him though and at least get some playing time during the season. Training camp hopefully will clarify the situation but the Giants are going to be all new with WRs this year and that could prompt some changes or opportunities along the way.

You got a spot cleared out for Favre yet? Top 12? Top 15?

Chambers was hurt for most of 2008 - only 33 catches and missed two games, played hurt in others. Jackson had a career year with 1098 yards and seven scores but a healthy Chambers - and LT - will eat into that. I projected 42 catches for 725 and five scores which would still be his second best year.

Chambers hasn't gone for 1000 or gone for more than 5 touchdowns since 05 and has always been somewhat overrated. I don't believe he's going to cut much into anything as he's clearly at best, the no.4 target on the field at any given time.

Philip Rivers also emerged last year by throwing for 700 yards more than his previous best and also bested his TD output by 12. I think we've begun to see a shift in the chargers offensive attack. Rivers has arrived and is a legit elite quarterback.

Vincent Jackson has also upped his receptions and yardage each year he's been in the league from 27-453 in his second season, 41-623 in year three and last year with 59-1098. I have to believe that Rivers arrival last season, and Jackson being his go to guy last year established a lot of confidence in the duo. Gates and Tomlinson will continue to get the attention of opposing defenses, and I think it's all the better for Jackson.

BTW, DMD, are you going to have Fantasy University this year?

Chambers hasn't gone for 1000 or gone for more than 5 touchdowns since 05 and has always been somewhat overrated. I don't believe he's going to cut much into anything as he's clearly at best, the no.4 target on the field at any given time.

Philip Rivers also emerged last year by throwing for 700 yards more than his previous best and also bested his TD output by 12. I think we've begun to see a shift in the chargers offensive attack. Rivers has arrived and is a legit elite quarterback.

Vincent Jackson has also upped his receptions and yardage each year he's been in the league from 27-453 in his second season, 41-623 in year three and last year with 59-1098. I have to believe that Rivers arrival last season, and Jackson being his go to guy last year established a lot of confidence in the duo. Gates and Tomlinson will continue to get the attention of opposing defenses, and I think it's all the better for Jackson.

BTW, DMD, are you going to have Fantasy University this year?

To be fair, Chambers had 970 yards on 66 catches in 2007 in the year he switched teams. And 2006 in Miami was a meltdown year for the entre team - not Chambers fault. I am no big fan of Chambers but his numbers from last year reflected he was not healthy. His only other year with SD was when he had 970 yards and his 4 scores all came in SD in the final 10 games when he was there.

No Fantasy U. but we'll do other things to spark discussions.

Another thing DMD

The Steelers are all pretty low. I would like if they all sucked this year and had no offensive fire power, but even their running game looks weak according to the rankings. Ben is in the lower half of the rankings which is possible, but they always run the ball well and Parker is one of the last starting backs ranked, with his back up coming in at 56. I could see Parker being ranked so low if Mendenhall was going to get a lot of work, but even his ranking indicates that you dont expect much from him either. The WRs are hit or miss, but looking at where they are ranked in addition to every other Steeler skill player it looks like they are not going to have an offense at all.

Another thing DMD

The Steelers are all pretty low. I would like if they all sucked this year and had no offensive fire power, but even their running game looks weak according to the rankings. Ben is in the lower half of the rankings which is possible, but they always run the ball well and Parker is one of the last starting backs ranked, with his back up coming in at 56. I could see Parker being ranked so low if Mendenhall was going to get a lot of work, but even his ranking indicates that you dont expect much from him either. The WRs are hit or miss, but looking at where they are ranked in addition to every other Steeler skill player it looks like they are not going to have an offense at all.

You are just now coming to the realization that DMD hates the Steelers ? :wacko: He is an extremely bitter Cowboys fan. :D

Edited by Menudo

I thought Dominik Hixon was a little low. Is the thinking that the rookie is going to come in and take away some plays? I thought that Hixon has always done a very nice job filling in for Plax and always scored pretty well during his fill ins?

Hixon is penciled in as a starter only because he ended there last year. IMO, the Giants would much prefer to utilize his talents on special teams and have Nicks be the Z (featured) receiver. My feeling is that he will be there unless he falls on his face in training camp, which is not likely. Nicks is possibly the most talented WR on the team and they used a 1st round pick on him so it makes sense to stick him in there from day 1.

Keep an eye on Manningham and Sinorice Moss as they made some noise in mini-camp. The ideal scenario would be for one of these guys to break through and earn a starting spot on the other side of Nicks so that Smith can play his natural position which is the slot. Note that is just my opinion and Smith is most likely going to start the year as the #2 WR unless someone really wows them in camp. But, given that Moss and Manningham are making strides and the WR position is in flux right now, I would expect a lot of substitution over the course of the season until they hit on something that works.

Also, note that they drafted Beckum to be an H-back and they still have Boss (6 TDs last year). Add Barden to the mix (6'6"), a guy I know they would love to be a TD threat, just line him up in the red zone and tell Eli to throw it high. And don't forget Tyree, they also like using him late in games for obvious reasons. He was hurt all last year but will be competing for a job. What this all means is a lot of balls spread around to different targets and no single vertical threat identified. Everyone is hoping Nicks and/or the other guys will be able to spread the field but who knows.

Bottom line is that it would be impossible to come up with any kind of reliable ranking/forecast for ANY Giants WR right now, and no guarantees that the preseason will make the picture much clearer. From a fantasy perspective, excluding Smith, anyone you draft is either a rookie or a career backup/special teams player.

These were great help last night in my draft. It was my first draft with The Huddle "draft kit". well worth the membership, everything else is a major plus!!

Keep up the GREAT work Huddle!!!

:wacko:

Link to the draft? Curious to see how it all played out.

I figured those three would be an issue to some based on drafts so far.

1. DeAngelo Williams - Fell because of what went on around him. He only had 22-121 catches last year and I project him 20-140. He lost out in rushing because of I like Stewart to eat into his carries and more importantly his schedule goes from the easiest to the hardest in the NFL this year.

2. Turner - a function of never being a receiver - only had six catches last year. His schedule is a little harder and there is the Gonzo factor there as well.

3. Thomas - I already have projected him for a career year. We need a better idea of what Bush is going to be like I guess though I have him projected fairly low. Thomas did have 31 catches last year but that was mostly with Bush out.

Agree on these.

Generally top RBs are more up in the air than ever this year IMO. Peterson, Forte and Turner are the only "locks" to give high production (and Turner less so in PPRs). If I don't get one of those 3 I'll probably lay back and get cheapest of the 2d tier RBs - maybe go platoon strat.

I just don't know that he sees the ball that much with Cutler there. :wacko: He sure won't see as many receptions, would be my guess.

No but he (Forte) will still see the ball plenty to say the least. Cutler is good, but he's no Manning or Brady and Forte is arguably their best WR as well. I like him as much as Peterson in PPRs if not a bit more.

GB summer. Long days, warm weather, and FF talk heats up. :D

Edited by BeeR