[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Manning done for the year?

SpeedRacer

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

previously it was a "nerve regeneration" issue...today he has cervical FUSION...fusion has nothing to do with regeneration of nerves, at least not that I am aware of...it is simply the fusing of two vertebrae where the offending disc is removed and usually a bone graft or some sort is put in its place...also from everything I have read and been told about FUSION is that complete fusion takes between 9-12 months for the most part.

I think the idea is that the disc is causing the residual nerve problems, so you remove the disc to allow the nerves to heal and then stabilize the spine with fusion.

He's done for the year for sure, assuming this is in fact the surgery he underwent today.

what do you figure Collins' line looks like after this week's game?

18-32 200 1TD 1int 1 fumble

oh yeah ,and a couple of sacks of course.

Edited by rattsass

I think the idea is that the disc is causing the residual nerve problems, so you remove the disc to allow the nerves to heal and then stabilize the spine with fusion.

He's done for the year for sure, assuming this is in fact the surgery he underwent today.

i wasn't exactly clear in what I meant...they made it sound as if the problems that caused the nerve problems had been taken care of and we just had to wait for the nerve to heal...but that doesn't exactly seem like the truth now that he has gone thru single level anterior fusion (what the colts press release stated)...I just had two level fusion done two months ago, low back not cervical, I will be completely surprised if we see him on the field this year. He might start to feel much better in 6-8 weeks but the fusion will still need much more time to take...i can't see how subjecting it to NFL hits would be a good thing....and fwiw, I own manning in 2 leagues

Based on what you know, do you think that it takes less force from a hit to paralyze him than with a healthy disc?

If so, then yeah, I can see him going on IR cuz there's no point in substantially increasing the risk of paralysis versus playing healthy.

I can't speak to what hit will or wont paralyze him...all I can say is that from how I understand fusion surgery(again, what I just had) is that it is basically a two part surgery...part 1 they use screws or whatever to marry the two vertebrae together...part 2 is the FUSION part...the fusion is the bone growth that secures part 1 of the surgery...best thing I can recommend is to google it and look it up....here is an animated link of a a fusion surgery like I had, except I had 2 levels done. http://www.spine-health.com/video/posterio...sion-plif-video

previously it was a "nerve regeneration" issue...today he has cervical FUSION...fusion has nothing to do with regeneration of nerves, at least not that I am aware of...it is simply the fusing of two vertebrae where the offending disc is removed and usually a bone graft or some sort is put in its place...also from everything I have read and been told about FUSION is that complete fusion takes between 9-12 months for the most part.

This is right from what I know as well. Also with a fusion, there is a decrease in mobility of the joints - again, from what I understand. I have a bum ankle and fusion is one option I was recommended - this was about 15 years ago. I remember the Dr. saying that if I wanted to continue playing basketball I should not get the fusion and deal with the pain.

I am NOT a doctor, FWIW.

Wow, I love how people forget how well Collins did when he was hitting on all cylinders. He had 2 rotten seasons, yes, but I don't lay all of that at his feet. The teams he was with were HORRIFIC and offered no support. There is a reason the Cults went after him...

Wayne/Clark and Garcon will be fine. I'd only be concerned for Collie owners.

That's all fine and dandy if Collins would have been a Colt for more than two weeks. He was retired at this point a month ago.

That's all fine and dandy if Collins would have been a Colt for more than two weeks. He was retired at this point a month ago.

I think that's the biggest issue. Not Collins talent. Granted, I think there is enough skilled people in the skilled positions that Collins should be able to wing it. If he goes 2-2 in his first 4 games, he was a success, IMHO.

This is right from what I know as well. Also with a fusion, there is a decrease in mobility of the joints - again, from what I understand. I have a bum ankle and fusion is one option I was recommended - this was about 15 years ago. I remember the Dr. saying that if I wanted to continue playing basketball I should not get the fusion and deal with the pain.

I am NOT a doctor, FWIW.

Did you stay at a Holiday Inn though?

In another life I used to sell medical devices for spinal fusions and I can tell you from my experience I would be extremely surprised if manning came back this year. The main problem being that if the fusion breaks he is a world of hurt for a long time, maybe even his career, best to let the healing process go on as long as possible the first time and get that right.

In another life I used to sell medical devices for spinal fusions and I can tell you from my experience I would be extremely surprised if manning came back this year. The main problem being that if the fusion breaks he is a world of hurt for a long time, maybe even his career, best to let the healing process go on as long as possible the first time and get that right.

Bone Growth Stimulators? Just got done wearing mine...can't believe that thing cost over $5k

I am NOT a doctor, FWIW.

Correct but the % is different depending on where the fusion is done...I don't know about the neck area...I had L4/L5 & S1 all fused and I was told to expect a loss of between 5-15% ....I had my surgery on 7/11/11 and as of now i can barely touch the top of my knee cap...some days I can touch the mid point and others just short of the top...I am not a doctor either but i can't see how he can take an NFL hit this year, just can't see it.