[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Latest on McCown v. Cutler?

wpayers

McCown has been an excellent QB plug-in. Anyone heard any news on Cutler's status? CHI has a great ROS schedule and I may ride it. I own McCown but not Cutler. My guess is Cutler will be back next week but have no basis. Will put in WW claim for Cutler but do not want to carry both.

If you're planning to ride the CHI QB through the playoffs (which is a good bet when they're almost a lock for 1 or 2 TDs with those receivers), then you're playing with fire to not find a way to hold both. That situation has become clear as mud.

But I'll let you know if I see any news, because I'd prefer to not use up the extra roster spot either.

Per Rotoworld:

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports Jay Cutler's (ankle) practice on Thursday will determine whether he starts in Week 14 versus Dallas.

"His practice on Thursday will determine whether Cutler will play," Mort stated. "If he's ready to play, he will go." Coach Marc Trestman has made similar statements. The Bears aren't yet sure about the health of Cutler's high ankle sprain, and won't have a good feel for his recovery until they get out onto the practice field on Thursday.

The Bears play the Cowboys on Monday Night Football in Week 14, so they will not hold a Wednesday practice.

Edited by Wolverines Fan

Per Rotoworld:

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports Jay Cutler's (ankle) practice on Thursday will determine whether he starts in Week 14 versus Dallas.

"His practice on Thursday will determine whether Cutler will play," Mort stated. "If he's ready to play, he will go." Coach Marc Trestman has made similar statements. The Bears aren't yet sure about the health of Cutler's high ankle sprain, and won't have a good feel for his recovery until they get out onto the practice field on Thursday.

The Bears play the Cowboys on Monday Night Football in Week 14, so they will not hold a Wednesday practice.

Thanks. That's about what I expected. Kaepernick vs SEA is my other option which is not the best. Will attempt to grab Cutler off WW and wait. I win this week and I am in the final four playoff. Tough decision...do not want to burn a bench spot on another QB.

I may be in the minority, but this Bears fan would actually prefer McCown over Cutler moving forward. Cutler's a free agent in 2014 and I am hoping they let Cutler walk. He takes too many chances and just doesn't wow anyone in big games. McCown is no spring chicken but I'd rather the Bears go with him, draft a young QB and see what happens in 2-3 years.

I may be in the minority, but this Bears fan would actually prefer McCown over Cutler moving forward. Cutler's a free agent in 2014 and I am hoping they let Cutler walk. He takes too many chances and just doesn't wow anyone in big games. McCown is no spring chicken but I'd rather the Bears go with him, draft a young QB and see what happens in 2-3 years.

Bears fan and homer here, absolutely agree.

Also think the Bears (and Cutler) would be foolish to play Cutler anymore this year. With this defense, it is a lost year.

The list of defensive free agents in 2014 is pretty impressive. Briggs is on that list but even if he stays, there will be some options for Da Bears. Donald Butler, Karlos Dansby and Brian Orakpo just to name a few LBs. Jared Allen, Lamarr Houston, Michael Johnson and Justin Tuck on the DL side.

I'd rather spend the money on some defensive band-aids rather than pay Mr. Pouty Face.

I couldn't disagree more with wanting to let Cutler walk and then keep McCown as the starter. There is zero chance of that happening anyways as it would simply be a bad business move for the Bears. One thing we should have all learned by now is that it does not take years to rebuild a team in the NFL. Teams have been going from worst to first in their division for years now. The Bears defense is capable of being fixed in one off season. Will they be dominant like they used to be? Probably not, but if they can just be middle of the road this team is capable of winning and winning immediately. Now the question as to who is the better option for them at QB to me this is an easy choice, but I do understand why it would also be easy to think the opposite way. There is zero question as to who is the more talented individual, as I'm sure most people are tired of hearing how gifted Cutler is. Cutler will get the franchise tag this off season and be given the chance to prove himself worthy of a long-term commitment. Still not sure after 2014, well you can franchise tag him again in 2015. The Bears know they can win with Cutler. Since 2010 the Bears are 30-13 with him as starter and and 3-10 in games he doesn't start or doesn't finish the first half due to injury. McCown has been a nice story, but he's not the answer going forward. Not sure Cutler is either, but he still might be. You can always draft a QB and let him sit and develop under Cutler the next two years while the Bears continue to try and win now with Cutler. It is the best of both worlds.

No clarity yet...here's the latest. In light of the way McCown is playing I'm baffled as to why the Bears would push or rush Cutler.

http://www.rotoworld...3608/jay-cutler

While making the playoffs this year is unlikely, there is still a chance and with the defense being so bad they may feel they can't score enough points with McCown to win out. They have put up some big yardage numbers under McCown, but don't put many points on the board and are horrible in the red zone with him (he's excellent between the 20's, but his red zone numbers are atrocious).

29 points per game with Cutler

22 points per game with McCown

Of course the playoff scenario is a reach, as too many things have to go their way. So my guess is Emery and Trestman want to see Cutler play a few more games this year before making a decision on him this off season. They know McCown isn't going to be the long term answer but they obviously still think Cutler may be.

Edited by sausagekingchi

cutler is out for week 14, mccown will start. they're eyeing up week 15 for cutler but who knows if he even plays then.

I couldn't disagree more with wanting to let Cutler walk and then keep McCown as the starter. There is zero chance of that happening anyways as it would simply be a bad business move for the Bears. One thing we should have all learned by now is that it does not take years to rebuild a team in the NFL. Teams have been going from worst to first in their division for years now. The Bears defense is capable of being fixed in one off season. Will they be dominant like they used to be? Probably not, but if they can just be middle of the road this team is capable of winning and winning immediately. Now the question as to who is the better option for them at QB to me this is an easy choice, but I do understand why it would also be easy to think the opposite way. There is zero question as to who is the more talented individual, as I'm sure most people are tired of hearing how gifted Cutler is. Cutler will get the franchise tag this off season and be given the chance to prove himself worthy of a long-term commitment. Still not sure after 2014, well you can franchise tag him again in 2015. The Bears know they can win with Cutler. Since 2010 the Bears are 30-13 with him as starter and and 3-10 in games he doesn't start or doesn't finish the first half due to injury. McCown has been a nice story, but he's not the answer going forward. Not sure Cutler is either, but he still might be. You can always draft a QB and let him sit and develop under Cutler the next two years while the Bears continue to try and win now with Cutler. It is the best of both worlds.

So much for that. Bears' GM says they don't want to tag Cutler, but would rather sign him to a longer deal. Cutler's gonna ask for too much, so they may just let him walk and elect to upgrade the defense with the savings.

Trestman has a history of making average QBs work well in his system (as evidenced by McCown already excelling), so why not just stick with McCown, draft a QB with some promise this off-season, and go after some bigger-named defensive FAs?

Here's the report from Roto

Swapped Cutler for McCown off the WW when the news broke. I bet he'll pull some pork by half time. I had complete confidence in McCown but far less in the Poutster. I will overthink the decision of Cutler vs. Kaep for the next 72 hours straight.

Edited by wpayers

Here's the report from Roto

Swapped Cutler for McCown off the WW when the news broke. I bet he'll pull some pork by half time. I had complete confidence in McCown but far less in the Poutster. I will overthink the decision of Cutler vs. Kaep for the next 72 hours straight.

I hear ya. I have Case Keenum with a solid matchup but I think his ceiling is much lower than what Cutler is capable of, tougher defense or not.

In your situation I would most certainly play Kaepernick. No question.

I actually think that this is what most people are expecting to happen and that anything else is making a mistake. I can't see Cutler walking away from the Bears though. I think that the announcement that it's going to be Cutler this weekend is the correct one that the coach made. Although I think people will wonder what else McCown has to do to keep the job. It's the reverse of what happened in Green Bay, imo. The younger Rodgers takes over for the aging vet, Favre. Doing the opposite only sends the Bears back into the deep end.

Full disclosure, I have McCown on a fantasy team where I also have Cutler and Luck. I was hoping to start McCown but now have to decide between Cutler or Luck.

Edited by MikesVikes