[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Browns apparently to cut ties with Manziel

colkurtz

Yeah, I think Jerrah's sons are gonna have to lock him in a closet again to prevent this from happening. Jerrah & Johnny is a match made in heaven.

Jerrah, if nothing else, is an entertainer and a smart businessman. He's not going to sign him to some huge contract with upfront money. It'll be incentive-laden and will force Johnny Vegas to earn his keep. It's a win-win for the Boys. Local boy comes home, watches Romo for a year or two and then takes the NFL by storm.

:brow: I have RG3 in one dynasty, Manziel in another. This is good (and hardly surprising) news.

I dont want either but if it has to be one..Let it be RG111 ( I really wanted to say let it be lowenbrau for some reason)

• Like 1

Who knows ... but that rumor is grabbing hold in sports media

I'm not sure we'll ever know, but there's plenty of evidence that he's a flake. Some will dispute it, most of them are Manziel lovers who don't think he could do wrong. Even some of those posting comments locally who've defended him have said this dressing up in Vegas was pretty crazy manure.

Jerrah, if nothing else, is an entertainer and a smart businessman. He's not going to sign him to some huge contract with upfront money. It'll be incentive-laden and will force Johnny Vegas to earn his keep. It's a win-win for the Boys. Local boy comes home, watches Romo for a year or two and then takes the NFL by storm.

They'd have to sign Johnny as a free agent (Browns cut/release) or rework his contract to get those terms in there.

Take the NFL by storm, :rofl:

• 4 weeks later...

Another incident with the now ex girlfriend.

Way to impress the new Browns coaches Johnny.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/9271/johnny-manziel

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/30/police-searched-for-manziel-with-helicopter/

Edited by Wolverines Fan

Another incident with the now ex girlfriend.

Way to impress the new Browns coaches Johnny.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/9271/johnny-manziel

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/01/30/police-searched-for-manziel-with-helicopter/

that report sounds more like the ex had the issues, sending the cops to look for him

Manziel's contract

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/johnny-manziel/

Am I missing something, is this different than a normal signing bonus, payment spread out over several years, or is that just for showing annual figures? (The Cash Earnings tab on sportrac show $4.3M signing bonus was paid in full in 2014.

This relates to his guaranteed money, and posts I've been reading saying the Browns would still have to pay him if he were cut.

The way I see it he got his $4.3M signing bonus, so how do they get almost $8M gauranteed ??

ETA: Apparently I forgot that rookie NFL contracts are in fact guaranteed, so he gets his 2016 & 2017 salaries (1.17 & 1.3M, another 2.5M total) if cut. So the $4.3M signing bonus plus about $3.7M in salaries (2014-17) = $8M

Edited by stevegrab

Looks like the team is going to send him packing in March once the salary cap bumps up.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14697600/cleveland-browns-moving-johnny-manziel-latest-incident-source-says?ex_cid=espnapi_public

Interesting I hadn't thought about them not being able to cut him because of the cap hit and being over it. Didn't realize it worked that way, I know there's a hit against the cap, but didn't realize it was immediate and if you went over with it that's a problem.

There was also this statement from the Browns today

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/article-5/Statement-from-Cleveland-Browns-EVP-of-Football-Operations-Sashi-Brown-on-Johnny-Manziel/df6a9b4e-48e3-4095-9f77-3ed4f0c23e60

marinovich 2.0

It'd be one thing if he had been lights out in his limited action, but that wasn't the case. I guess he thought he could have it all, party all night, play the next day, I'm not an addict, it's cool, I feel alive......but no. You're just a drunk with some skills, but not enough skills to get away with it all in the 2016 NFL, "Money."

Is it an illness? It certainly is a tough thing to give up completely; I know. In my 20's, I partied all night and a lot of the things I did would have and should have got me fired, but I was at work every day at 6:00 AM the next day. How? I think deep down I was ashamed, and that made me determined to show up and redeem myself at some level. It's nothing special and millions do it daily. Maybe Manziel just doesn't feel that shame as he's never felt it wrong. But when it bleeds over too much, it's over, and you're done. I think eventually bodies and minds break down, and some realize it's not worth the hassle to party all night and deal with the next day. That came to me at about 30. Kids certainly helped hammer it home.

He's young enough to dig himself out of the hole, but are his skills enough for anyone to help him dig himself out? Maybe Jerrah, but Jerrah wants to win more than anything else. And I just haven't ever seen anything that would indicate Manziel could replicate those college, backyard type skills to the Pro game. Mike Evans was 50% of Manziel's success in college. I'm sure that's a tough thing to comprehend for him. Hitting rock bottom with no suitors will confirm that fact. Then what?

I wonder who, and I know there are some, can party that hard and still maintain? I think I recall reading where Aldon Smith blew a ridiculous amount, got arrested (?) and still showed up for practice the next day. There are some that I bet never even make the news.

Edited by WildTurkey
  • Like 1

marinovich 2.0

It'd be one thing if he had been lights out in his limited action, but that wasn't the case. I guess he thought he could have it all, party all night, play the next day, I'm not an addict, it's cool, I feel alive......but no. You're just a drunk with some skills, but not enough skills to get away with it all in the 2016 NFL, "Money."

Is it an illness? It certainly is a tough thing to give up completely; I know. In my 20's, I partied all night and a lot of the things I did would have and should have got me fired, but I was at work every day at 6:00 AM the next day. How? I think deep down I was ashamed, and that made me determined to show up and redeem myself at some level. It's nothing special and millions do it daily. Maybe Manziel just doesn't feel that shame as he's never felt it wrong. But when it bleeds over too much, it's over, and you're done. I think eventually bodies and minds break down, and some realize it's not worth the hassle to party all night and deal with the next day. That came to me at about 30. Kids certainly helped hammer it home.

He's young enough to dig himself out of the hole, but are his skills enough for anyone to help him dig himself out? Maybe Jerrah, but Jerrah wants to win more than anything else. And I just haven't ever seen anything that would indicate Manziel could replicate those college, backyard type skills to the Pro game. Mike Evans was 50% of Manziel's success in college. I'm sure that's a tough thing to comprehend for him. Hitting rock bottom with no suitors will confirm that fact. Then what?

I wonder who, and I know there are some, can party that hard and still maintain? I think I recall reading where Aldon Smith blew a ridiculous amount, got arrested (?) and still showed up for practice the next day. There are some that I bet never even make the news.

Sorry but this is a absolutely terrible comparison. Do you know anything about Marinovich's story? I'm guessing no.

Sorry but this is a absolutely terrible comparison. Do you know anything about Marinovich's story? I'm guessing no.

I know nothing about Marinovich's story but gave WildTurkey a like because of the content, not that comparison. That was the crux of his post.

Well I know Marinovich (and I promise this is not from consulting wikipedia before writing this, although I may go back later and check my memory) had a lot of pressure from an ex-NFL pro father to become the prototype athlete/QB. I remember him being so-so to better than average at USC, gettng busted for coke. He was drafted by the Raiders, then was either kicked out for drugs or just out of a job due to performance coupled with substance abuse issues. He was arrested off and on after leaving the league, and I believe is now a skateboarder/artist. I also want to say I read recently he got clean and now may even tutor QB's. How'd I do?

From what I know of Manziel, he comes from a well to do family in Texas. I have no idea if they pressured him into football as was Marinovich. To me that seems like the main difference between the two. You really don't see any similarities in their (potential) career paths?

Edited by WildTurkey

Well I know Marinovich (and I promise this is not from consulting wikipedia before writing this, although I may go back later and check my memory) had a lot of pressure from an ex-NFL pro father to become the prototype athlete/QB. I remember him being so-so to better than average at USC, gettng busted for coke. He was drafted by the Raiders, then was either kicked out for drugs or just out of a job due to performance coupled with substance abuse issues. He was arrested off and on after leaving the league, and I believe is now a skateboarder/artist. I also want to say I read recently he got clean and now may even tutor QB's. How'd I do?

From what I know of Manziel, he comes from a well to do family in Texas. I have no idea if they pressured him into football as was Marinovich. To me that seems like the main difference between the two. You really don't see any similarities in their (potential) career paths?

You are for the most part spot on with Marinovich. His dad was completely psycho, treating Todd not as a person but a machine from even before his was a teenager.

The bolded is why you simply can't compare the two.

So what if Manziel comes from a well-off family and likes to party? Just because he acts like a do0sh doesn't him put him on a career path like Marinovich's.

Maybe he'll piss it all away but the "how" and "why" were what caused me to say they are two completely different animals. Marinovich wasn't necessarily a do0sh that liked to party. He was a troubled kid that turned into a troubled young adult brought on by an overbearing (and crazy) father, expectations, etc. Some could argue his path was fairly predestined given the circumstances. Manziel's is completely different. Unless we want to label him an alcoholic, in which case perhaps there may be some blurry similarities.

Just my opinion.

Darin3,

Here as some facts that I thought were widely kown about Manziel

• had a drinking problem in High School - parents bought him a car for staying away from acohol (footnote 1)
  • spent 10 weeks in a rehab facility - which most understood specialized in drug and alcohol addiction (footnote 2)

1 http://thebiglead.com/2013/07/30/remember-this-about-johnny-manziel-his-dad-bought-him-a-new-car-for-staying-away-from-alcohol-in-high-school/

2 http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2427440-johnny-manziel-discharged-from-rehab-facility-latest-details-and-comments

I didn't follow college sports much, and read about #1 when Manziel was drafted, seemed like a well known thing. #2 of course was last offseason and rehab was well known, I even recall seeing the facility identified at one time and it being one speciailizing in drugs and alcohol.

Put those 2 together and it seems very likely he has a drinking problem, or an alcoholic. That is why there has been concern that he continues to drink.

Who knows maybe rehab wasn't real but a ploy to appease the Browns. Maybe it was for immaturity and general chivesieness not for alcohol or drugs. Maybe he isn't really addicted. I don't know for sure, but there's enough there to tell me he's got issues with alcohol. Its not some "poor young guy who likes to party" being picked on my some morally superior group (trust me Browns fans drink like fish).

His girlfriend said he threatened to kill both of them.

IMO Johnny is not only done, but he was never really ready/able to play. He has issues he's had since High School when his parents supposedly bought him a car to reward him for stopping drinking for some period of time.

He's a nonfactor to me with no reason to expect him to have a future.

• Like 1