[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Who will shine for the Home Front in 05

PantherDave

Green Bay:

Offense-There isn't one player, but one position. They need someone to step up big time at both G's to attempt to fill in for Rivera and Wahle.

Defense-Once again this isn't directed at 1-player but the DL, notably Cleditus Hunt and Kabeer-Gbaja Biamala need to step up big time. Especially Hunt, he needs to prove he is worth all that money and play to his potential.

This is an obvious point but without putting pressure on any QB they will be able to find an open WR even if you have Deion Sanders as all 3-CB's if they have 7-seconds to sit in the pocket.

Philadelphia Eagles

Offense: TE L.J. Smith - Smith no longer has ex-pro bowl TE Chad Lewis taking receptions away from him and is poised for a breakout season. He is one of the more athletic TEs in the game and will have his best year as a pro.

Defense: DE Jerome McDougle - The Eagle's moved up to get him in the 1st round of the 2003 draft. He has been a dissapointment thus far. Coming into camp healthy and staying in Philly to take part in the Eagle's offseason conditioning program shows his commitment. He knows he has opportunity this year to be the starting DE opposite Jevon Kearse now that Derrick Burgess is gone. If he stays healthy, expect 10+ sacks from McDougle this season.

871982[/snapback]

Don't forget Greg Lewis!

For the Jets, I think Justin McCareins could shine (assuming Pennington is 100% recovered from the shoulder injury).

I think last year McCareins was a bit off, adjusting to the new team, new offense etc. If you look at what he did his last season in Tennessee - he had 47 catches for 813 yards (17.3 average) and 7 TDs in 10 starts. Last year, just 56 catches, 770 yards (13.8 average) and 4 TDs in 16 starts. Now he's reunited with his old OC from the Titans, who I figure will use him in much the same way as he did in Tennessee. Especially since McCareins will be familiar with the offense.

I think Coles will probably get more catches than McCareins, but I still think Justin will have more balls thrown his way this coming season than he had last year. And, based on what he did with the Titans, I think Heimerdinger will use McCareins more as a deep threat than Hackett did last year when he was primarily a posession receiver.

So, long story short, I could see McCareins getting somewhere around 60-65 catches, 1,000-1,100 yards, and 8-10 TDs. The Huddle has him as a Tier 4 reciever and I see in the four mock drafts on the homepage, he went in Round 12 in one and was undrafted in the other three. HUGH oversite by the mock drafters. He'll be a steal in the mid-to-late rounds of your draft.

Bears: Since they spent the #4 overall pick on him, I expect Cedric Benson to get a ton of carries and about 1,300 yds rushing.  He will be aided by a healthy Grossman and a solid receiving option in Muhammad.

Colts: After serving his suspension for off-the-field stupidity, I see a healthy Mike Doss being big in both coverage and run support.

872017[/snapback]

I think the post asked to give your feelings about YOUR team. Why do you have 2 listed ? :D:D:D

For the Jets, I think Justin McCareins could shine (assuming Pennington is 100% recovered from the shoulder injury).

I think last year McCareins was a bit off, adjusting to the new team, new offense etc.  If you look at what he did his last season in Tennessee - he had 47 catches for 813 yards (17.3 average) and 7 TDs in 10 starts.  Last year, just 56 catches, 770 yards (13.8 average) and 4 TDs in 16 starts.  Now he's reunited with his old OC from the Titans, who I figure will use him in much the same way as he did in Tennessee.  Especially since McCareins will be familiar with the offense.

I think Coles will probably get more catches than McCareins, but I still think Justin will have more balls thrown his way this coming season than he had last year.  And, based on what he did with the Titans, I think Heimerdinger will use McCareins more as a deep threat than Hackett did last year when he was primarily a posession receiver.

So, long story short, I could see McCareins getting somewhere around 60-65 catches, 1,000-1,100 yards, and 8-10 TDs.  The Huddle has him as a Tier 4 reciever and I see in the four mock drafts on the homepage, he went in Round 12 in one and was undrafted in the other three.  HUGH oversite by the mock drafters.  He'll be a steal in the mid-to-late rounds of your draft.

873255[/snapback]

I tend to agree, but I think that's why he's such a steal - because people are overlooking him. I look for him to post 7 TD's and close to 1000 yards. I think the Jets have a great shot at significantly bettering their passing game this year, if as you said, Pennington is healthy.

For the Steelers, I think it has to be Duce Staley. He came to Pittsburgh to be an every down back and the injuries really cut his production. I think he can still be a good player but if he doesn't get it done this year he may be finished. Ricardo Colclough has had one year to assimilate the defensive schemes. He needs to be a shut down corner on the defensive side of the ball. The Steelers have been able to hide the weakness in the secondary pretty well, but it is only a matter of time before they get blown up (see vs Oakland 2003) if they don't soon find someone back there who can close down a #1 receiver or take away the playmaking of possession WRs in nickel and dime matchups.

871914[/snapback]

Pretty good choices for the Men of Steel, but I would go with:

Offense - Antwaan Randle-El

El has been terrific in the #3 role for quite sometime and has earned (or at least will after camp is over IMO) the #2 spot. He will do a fantastic job. All of this talk about his lack of size is junk in my opinion. In the games Plex missed, El did just fine. He doesn't have the height like Plex, but he has great speed and playmaking ability. He can take a 10 yard slant 80 yards to the house, and they were never going to get that from Plex. I think in both NFL and Fantasy terms, Antwaan Randle-El is going to have a very solid season. Besides the obvious performers, Faneca, Roethlisberger, and Ward, look for Max Starks to be solid on the O-Line, and Heath Miller to have a strong rookie-year impact.

Defense - Clark Haggans

You could see it starting to happen for Haggans last year. I expect him to improve to another level this year and have a very solid 2005. Farrior and Polamalu will prove that 2004 was no fluke. Troy will end up being an every-year Pro Bowl player. Ricardo Coughlough must step it up as you said. Townsend is solid, but we need a shut-down guy and Coughlough showed me that he has potential to be just that.

:D

Steelers :D

:D

You might be right on both choices. If Gibson can pick it up quickly he might be a very nice surprise. He has the tools. That would make a receiving corps of Ward, Wilson, El, Gibson and Mays. Not bad.

:D  Chessmaster = Megan Fox Newbie

872754[/snapback]

Man, you guys are picking on Chess Master like a poison oak scab.

From my Niners, I expect Frank Gore to make an immediate impact. If not via on field production, than as a motivator for Barlow to check his attitude at the door and play like his job depened on it.

It must be a slow day.....

Kevin Barlow! Yes you heard me right he will "shine" for the 49ers. He will accumulate a whopping 875 yds and 4 TDs and will be the best player on the 9ers.....Oh my gawd will they suck this year.

Baltimore

Most of these are obvious.

Kyle Boller

You all know why. This is the put up or shutup year for Boller and his sack sucker Billick. With Mason, Heap, Moore, Clayton and Hymes, he has 5 proven targets (proven for their starting positions.) Also, Jamal Lewis and that great D will not force him to win every game like a Peyton Manning will.

Jamal Lewis

We don't need a return to 2000+ yards, just a healthy RB that can run off a long TD at any time while being able to pound out 4.5 yards a carry when needed.

Ed Reed

Stud. Needs to stay stud. Ray Lewis has a few years left, and Reed in the heir to Lewis in terms of leading this D. He'll get a huge new contract after this year.

HEAP

Stud when healthy. Stay healthy.

Ray Lewis

Stud when healthy. Stay healthy. Hurt RBs.

Baltimore

Most of these are obvious.

Kyle Boller

You all know why.  This is the put up or shutup year for Boller and his sack sucker Billick.  With Mason, Heap, Moore, Clayton and Hymes, he has 5 proven targets (proven for their starting positions.)  Also, Jamal Lewis and that great D will not force him to win every game like a Peyton Manning will.

Jamal Lewis

We don't need a return to 2000+ yards, just a healthy RB that can run off a long TD at any time while being able to pound out 4.5 yards a carry when needed.

Ed Reed

Stud.  Needs to stay stud.  Ray Lewis has a few years left, and  Reed in the heir to Lewis in terms of leading this D.  He'll get a huge new contract after this year.

HEAP

Stud when healthy.  Stay healthy.

Ray Lewis

Stud when healthy.  Stay healthy.  Hurt RBs.

874562[/snapback]

The Steelers ran over the once feared Ravens defense like George Costanza knocking over the kids, old ladies, and clowns to get out of the burning apartment in their last game last year. They had one long drive that was nothing but runs up the middle, like 13 plays, 80 yards and ending in a TD. That defense is on the downslide. You'll see.

You might be right on both choices. If Gibson can pick it up quickly he might be a very nice surprise. He has the tools. That would make a receiving corps of Ward, Wilson, El, Gibson and Mays. Not bad.

873879[/snapback]

Agreed, I like Gibson's potential. I do hope that Lee Mays finally is shown the door this year. Zamir Cobb was an undrafted free agent out of Temple last year that they really like. He was injured after having a good camp last year, and I think you will see him oust Mays from the corps. I hope so, as you can tell, I'm not a Lee Mays fan.