[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

2 months salary?!?

Azazello1313

Perch is right too. If you can find a good broker or Gemologist, you'll get a better cost and better product than a chain jeweler. Get to know a good designer and they will work with you on making a unique piece rather than an off the shelf one.

They'll usually help you with getting a quality stone that way too. Your gal will be wearing one of their designs, which is great advertising for them and they will go out of their way to help.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do whatever you are comfortable with. If she loves you, the diamond (as long as it's not a total piece of crap in accordance to what your salary level is) won't matter that much. And if it does, you got bigger problems...

Edited by TDFFFreak

someone just told me there's a "general rule of thumb" when it comes to purchasing an engagement ring.  the cost should be equal to about two months of your salary. 

i'm sorry, that is just stupid.  that's more like a rule for buying a new car or some shucks.  furthermore, i don't believe it IS a rule of thumb, i believe it's what a bunch of moran jewelers WISH was the rule of thumb. 

or maybe i'm wrong.  :D  any huddlers fork out that much dough for an engagement ring?

1269698[/snapback]

yeah that whole 2-month salary thing is the biggest freaking scam EVER!!!!! The wholel diamond business is a friggin' scam. DIAMONDS AREN'T RARE, PEOPLE!!!!! The diamond companies jsut make you think they are. .

Shell out the dough for a ruby, emerald, or sapphire. They're prettier anyway.

anyway, she did say yes a couple weeks ago when i popped the question (despite the paltry half-carat stone), so there'll be a mrs. zello here before too long.  :D

1269953[/snapback]

Congratulations. Try to get out of all wedding planning activities except cake tasting and reception dinner food sampling.

I got my wife's engagement ring from a diamond broker, not a jeweler.  It makes a big difference in the cost.  The rock I got her cost me about $3,000 9 years ago.  It will apraise at around $8,000.

The actual wedding band only cost me about $1,500 as did her annaversary band.

Luckily I have a buddy that is a diamond broker, that sales to all the local jewelers.

1269813[/snapback]

This is great advice. I did the same.

My wife and i were together for a while and we both knew we were getting married. Instead of buying her an expensive engagement ring, we both decided to use that money towards a house.

We exchanged nice gold bands at our wedding, then two years later i bought her a 1.75ct natural sapphire with diamonds in a platinum setting.

1269818[/snapback]

yeah that whole 2-month salary thing is the biggest freaking scam EVER!!!!!  The wholel diamond business is a friggin' scam.  DIAMONDS AREN'T RARE, PEOPLE!!!!!  The diamond companies jsut make you think they are. .

Shell out the dough for a ruby, emerald, or sapphire.  They're prettier anyway.

1269912[/snapback]

See.....this would be my preference as well. I like diamonds as accent stones....but I prefer Tsavorite garnet to just about anything else. It's what an Emerald WANTS to be. :DJust gorgeous.

Whilst I do not want to wish ill upon anyone (I am speaking in the abstract), every time you think about buying jewlery, imagine that she will be wearing the piece that you are looking at when the divorce comes along.

I still get sick when I think about how much $$ I spent on jewelry for the ex.

Whilst I do not want to wish ill upon anyone (I am speaking in the abstract), every time you think about buying jewlery, imagine that she will be wearing the piece that you are looking at when the divorce comes along.

I still get sick when I think about how much $$ I spent on jewelry for the ex.

1269990[/snapback]

That's when you tell her that you'd like to upgrade her ring then switch out the real diamonds with fake ones...then serve her the divorce papers. :D

anyway, she did say yes a couple weeks ago when i popped the question (despite the paltry half-carat stone), so there'll be a mrs. zello here before too long.  :D

1269953[/snapback]

Congrats. Now get ready for the awsomeness of married life... :D

No, really, good luck!

Edited by The Holy Roller

That's when you tell her that you'd like to upgrade her ring then switch out the real diamonds with fake ones...then serve her the divorce papers. :D

1270001[/snapback]

Where were you 2 years ago? :D

1269953[/snapback]

Well congrats, even though you are a denver fan and I usually don't socialize with those kind :D

1269953[/snapback]

She must be an amazingly patient woman. :D

Congratulations! :D

2 months pay is BS, unless your established (income wise) w/ good assets. I just went thru this my Godson, who's Mom and soon to be fiance pick out a $6K ring. Keyriest, he just starting working FT this year as a teacher! :D

FWIW....I bought Mrs. RR's ring and spent about 3 weeks income (take home). It's a .5 carat, I don't know quality for beans. It's pretty, she loves it. That was 36 years ago! :D The ring cost ~$375!!! :D

Edited by rocknrobn26

There is no rule of thumb.  spend what you want and can afford.

1269709[/snapback]

Ding! you are correct sir.

I've seen people spend X amount on rings and totally break themselves.

IMHO, i went to a lot of places but settled on bluenile.com They are a direct importer of diamonds therefore they are aroudn 40% cheaper than anywhere else.

I got my ball and chain's ring from there and they ended up giving me a better diamond than I ordered. (Instead of a VVS1 i received a IF)

Then i ordered a pair of diamond studded earrings from there and the same thing happened to me.

BUT spend what you are comfortable with. For $1200 you can get a .50 carrot, SVV1, G stone that would be beautiful and look great.

1269953[/snapback]

Hey, alright! :D

One of life's most precious moments is when you find a woman who agrees to put up with your crap for the rest of her life.

Don't screw it up. :D