[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Huddle Fist Fight #6

NSab

Who wins?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Twiley
    • JJ

He's got me in size but I think I might have him in strength. 

I'm assuming Blitz's Karate? vs. my Muay Thai / Brazilian JJ background.  I'd want the fight to go to the ground and NHB.  I like Muay Thai vs. just about any other standup but I think I'd have the advantage on the ground where his size my hurt him.  Standup, a little more reach would help him.

My background:

Former NW Full Contact Muay Thai WW & MW Champ (17-0-1 record)

Cage Combat 2 MW Champ

Cage Combat 3 LHW Runner-up

Trained under Dave Bird, Marcelo Alonso, and briefly Matt Hume.

5-3 NHB record (2 losses to 1 person :D)

1272339[/snapback]

My style is Youn Wha Ru ... which is a mixed martial art, although it has a strong Tae Kwan Do base. Our Grand Master, Man Hee Han, is from Korea. He started training under Son Bop Sa at the age of 6 (left home to travel with Master Son). He trained with him 6 years and then returned home where he started his training with Byung In Yun and Sae Chong Wang. He went on to serve as the Special Tactics Instructor for the Korean Intelligence Agency. He also served as a hand to hand combat instructor and close combat instructor for the 2nd Army Infantry Division. He has advanced belts in Tae Kwan Do, Hwarang-do, Kendo, Hapkido and Judo.

So our style, while strong in kicks, does not neglect the hands (like traditional Tae Kwon Do). In addition we work on throws and falls (I will have to to 40 self defense techniques on my next test, which will include 20 throws and falls). We do very little ground work, but have done some. No doubt if we went to the ground you'd have the advantage with your JJ training.

I seriously doubt you have me on strength though (not boasting). I have to work very hard to control my power so as not to hurt my fellow students (which sometimes happens anyway) and, while I don't very often get hit can take a hit well. I often feel that I don't get to use one of my main assets when I spar ... that is my power.

I only started training 10 years ago and I don't have the competition back ground you have, although I have competed in several local association tournaments and have done fairly well.

With your Muay Tai I'd certainly have to adjust to the leg kicks and knee strikes.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No offense to Blitz, but I'm thinking the more traditionally trained martial artists are at a disadvantage with the mixed martial artists of today. Unless they have extensive work in other styles and are in tournaments that have more contact than the "jumping with my back first with a backfist to your head and score a point" type action...it could get ugly. There is a video out there of BJ Penn in a judo tournament and he is just tossing a black belt around like he was nothing.

No offense to Blitz, but I'm thinking the more traditionally trained martial artists are at a disadvantage with the mixed martial artists of today. Unless they have extensive work in other styles and are in tournaments that have more contact than the "jumping with my back first with a backfist to your head and score a point" type action...it could get ugly.  There is a video out there of BJ Penn in a judo tournament and he is just tossing a black belt around like he was nothing.

1272439[/snapback]

Simply having a black belt doesn't mean you can fight, especially today with so many belt factory schools. I am often amazed how many black belts think that ... because they spar in an environment where they wear protective equipment, where there are rules of conduct and where the other guy isn't really trying to hurt you ... that they are trained for street fighting.

Certainly the key is to have a mixture of fighting techniques ... hands, feet, throws ... and to be able to defend the same. Then simply learning those techniques isn't enough ... you have to practice them so that they become second nature (practical application) ... if you have to think about what to do next then it's too late.

Any martial artist that is one-dimensional will be at a disadvantage against a mixed martial artist.

I'm not going to need a pic from you Lawdawg. I do see a comedic twist to this matchup. Normally I don't like to announce matchups because people will start comentaing about them in random threads. If I pair you guys up it has to be a surprise to everyone. I had someone else in mind for Blitz but I'll think about it.

I seriously doubt you have me on strength though (not boasting). 

1272419[/snapback]

I'd be impressed with anyone that could bench 365 without weight training...thats serious power. Obviously benchpress isn't a real great indication as to fighting strength but it is a general strength benchmark. If you got me beat there, you'd probably be more difficult to submit and I'd try to switch from major joints to minors joint manipulation.

I'd be impressed with anyone that could bench 365 without weight training...thats serious power.  Obviously benchpress isn't a real great indication as to fighting strength but it is a general strength benchmark.  If you got me beat there, you'd probably be more difficult to submit and I'd try to switch from major joints to minors joint manipulation.

1272488[/snapback]

Now the guys talking about manipulating minors into submitting themselves to him.

Pervert!!! :D

i've met twiley, and while he doesn't exactly strike me as particularly tough or anything by any stretch, i'll still take him over JJ.  :D

1272062[/snapback]

Endorsements from a flaming metro-sexual chandler bing look-a-like, do not help your cause... :D

Daniel: Hey, what kind of belt do you have?

Miyagi: Canvas. JC Penny. Three ninety-eight. You like? [laughs]

1272490[/snapback]

<Napoleon Dynamite> I'm training to be a cage fighter <Napoleon Dynamite>

I'm not going to need a pic from you Lawdawg.  I do see a comedic twist to this matchup.  Normally I don't like to announce matchups because people will start comentaing about them in random threads.  If I pair you guys up it has to be a surprise to everyone.  I had someone else in mind for Blitz but I'll think about it.

1272484[/snapback]

Curious who you would matchup with Blitz that would have a funny edge to it.

Unless it's squeeqie or Bunz I don't see it happening.

I'd be impressed with anyone that could bench 365 without weight training...thats serious power.  Obviously benchpress isn't a real great indication as to fighting strength but it is a general strength benchmark.  If you got me beat there, you'd probably be more difficult to submit and I'd try to switch from major joints to minors joint manipulation.

1272488[/snapback]

I couldn't tell what I can bench 'cause I don't know ... probably not 365. It's funny that we are having this conversation because my regular work out partner was just commenting the other day on how naturally strong I am without the benefit of lifting. And I can tell you from experience you'd have more success with the minor joints, although my wrists are very strong. You probably wouldn't have much luck with anything involving my shoulders or knees. Most of our self defense techniques that we do are joint manipulation techniques ... and most struggle to do them with me because I am too big and strong, even those that are my same size.

Of course my goal would be to avoid that type of fight given your training ... I'd want to stay standing up. I am very successful at using an intercept front snap kick to maintain the fighting distance I like.

If he's been around long enough ... maybe Sarge

1272638[/snapback]

BTW, Blitz you're up on Friday. I took another look at your photos you look legit. Not how I pictured you but I'm sure you could knock someone out. I always pictured an older fella with a permanent scowl. I'm dissapointed to say the least.

JJ getting werked in the ropes by Twiley...silly girls... :D

1272711[/snapback]

I'm not gonna let it bother me. I was going to pair you up against Skins but then I saw a picture of you. No way was I gonna give Skins an easy victory. :D

I'm not gonna let it bother me.  I was going to pair you up against Skins but then I saw a picture of you.  No way was I gonna give Skins an easy victory. :D

1272716[/snapback]

It must have been from my right side... :D