[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

"I don't trust nobody who don't love Jesus"

Chavez

so this atheist is disingenuous...... 

i now see why you don't trust em wieg.

1388918[/snapback]

Once again, more assumptions. That is the problem with so many these days.

I am not an athiest, nore am I being hypocritical, and I am far from being unaware of what christianity is all about. :D For me, it is about morals. For many, it is about following WAY to closely to every word the Bible has to say... sadly.

Anyway, I am bored and moving on. Thanks. :D

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

grunt, just so you know, facetiousness works in both directions

1388929[/snapback]

I know. :D

You all are getting VERY defensive in here without really providing any significant or important information about the relevant topic at hand. :D

Lets get back on track

Okay, so usually I am not one to be caught watching that tv show "trading spouses" but I did catch one episode where one woman was so closed minded because of religion. One family (D'AMICO-FLISHER FAMILY) was very laid back, peace loving, and fairly hippiesh. They were very accepting and loving people. The other family (PERRIN FAMILY) was the religious crazy family. It wasn't so much the family that was crazy,it was the mom. She went crazy living with the laid back household. She went so far as to demonize the gargoyle statues in the backyard. Crazy.

To make the story short, I don't understand why the religious fanatics are so closed minded about not conforming into their religon. It seems a lot of the worlds problems stem from religious differences.

Since I didn't want to type all that much about what else went on in the episode the links follow:

Trading Spouses episode 201

Trading Spouses episode 202

1388749[/snapback]

Excellent point. While this is a bit extreme, I think there are a lot fo people out there like this. If you have seen this episode the best example was in the episode where the "crazy religious" person's friends had a conversation about God/sprituality with open, accepting, slightly hippy lady and their (religious people) conversation was laced with judgement and disdain.

Once again, more assumptions. That is the problem with so many these days.

I am not an athiest, nore am I being hypocritical, and I am far from being unaware of what christianity is all about.  :D  For me, it is about morals. For many, it is about following WAY to closely to every word the Bible has to say... sadly.

Anyway, I am bored and moving on. Thanks.  :D

1388933[/snapback]

:D i was not being facecious. i was joking. i did not accuse you of being a hypocrite.... i labeled you disingenuous.

after 9 years of catholic schooling, i'm not a stranger to the principles of christainity either.

move on...plenty of other sites out there.

Weigie ignored every one of my comments that were both logical and concise.

1388935[/snapback]

this is absolutely true (although it is equally true that I have not ignored every one of your comments that were both logical and concise) :oldrazz:

this is absolutely true (although it is equally true that I have not ignored every one of your comments that were both logical and concise)  :oldrazz:

1388950[/snapback]

What's your game, economist? What are you up to? :D

Are you trying to mind fok us through the internets??

Edited by AtomicCEO

Well, I don't trust overtly religious people.

:D

1388653[/snapback]

exactly....I know at least a dozen people who use religion as a crutch to get you to trust them and then leech off of the person...

the one guy...his favorite saying is...

"well, *insert name*...I'm a Minister and I feel strongly about this...I've read the bible and I'm not gonna steer ya wrong *insert name again*"...

when he says this...I laugh hysterically and he gives me the :whyyoustealinmykoolaid: look

I really don't understand where you're going with this Wiegie.

I'm no religious scholar, but I understood that a significant portion of Christianity (perhaps a majority) believe either (1) no matter how badly you live your life, you will go to heaven if you accept Jesus as your saviour and ask for forgiveness, or (2) one's fate in the afterlife is predetermined before birth, so how one lives his life has no bearing on the afterlife. How, then, do you suppose that Christians have any more motivation to act ethically than athiests or agnostics do?

Second: I am what I believe is considered an agnostic. I don't believe in God, but I can't say 100% that there isn't one. I have opportunities every day to do unethical things that would benefit me and for which I likely would never get caught. For example, I've had clients who showed me documents that were very bad for their cases, some that might destroy the whole case. I easiliy could have made the documents disappear, and no one ever would have found out that they existed. But I produce them to the other side because that is the right thing to do. I don't expect to be rewarded for it in the afterworld, and I didn't even consider that I could possibly be punished for it by being sent to hell if I had done the unethical thing.

So, I guess my point is what has been stated above - religion does not equal ethics.

I really don't understand where you're going with this Wiegie.

I'm no religious scholar, but I understood that a significant portion of Christianity (perhaps a majority) believe either (1) no matter how badly you live your life, you will go to heaven if you accept Jesus as your saviour and ask for forgiveness, or (2) one's fate in the afterlife is predetermined before birth, so how one lives his life has no bearing on the afterlife.  How, then, do you suppose that Christians have any more motivation to act ethically than athiests or agnostics do?

your understanding of what most Christians in the world believe is incorrect

Second: I am what I believe is considered an agnostic.  I don't believe in God, but I can't say 100% that there isn't one.  I have opportunities every day to do unethical things that would benefit me and for which I likely would never get caught.  For example, I've had clients who showed me documents that were very bad for their cases, some that might destroy the whole case.  I easiliy could have made the documents disappear, and no one ever would have found out that they existed.  But I produce them to the other side because that is the right thing to do.  I don't expect to be rewarded for it in the afterworld, and I didn't even consider that I could possibly be punished for it by being sent to hell if I had done the unethical thing. 

1388980[/snapback]

no wonder you are always losing cases :oldrazz:

your understanding of what most Christians in the world believe is incorrect

1388985[/snapback]

Well, various Protestant sects believe in the predetermination thing, no?

Catholics and the fundamentalists believe in the just-believe-and-you-will-be-saved thing, no?

What percentage is that?

exactly....I know at least a dozen people who use religion as a crutch to get you to trust them and then leech off of the person...

the one guy...his favorite saying is...

"well, *insert name*...I'm a Minister and I feel strongly about this...I've read the bible and I'm not gonna steer ya wrong *insert name again*"...

when he says this...I laugh hysterically and he gives me the :whyyoustealinmykoolaid: look

1388964[/snapback]

EXACTLY! People think that because they are 'Christian' others should or will trust them. The Catholic faith is even worse. There is nothing exciting or trustworthy about the history of religion, in fact, it's disgusting and horrible what they do to many people.

Despite what the Headline of what the Post says, I don't trust those Hardcore Bible thumpers who hang on every word the Bible says. :D

EXACTLY!  People think that because they are 'Christian' others should or will trust them. The Catholic faith is even worse. There is nothing exciting or trustworthy about the history of religion, in fact, it's disgusting and horrible what they do to many people. 

Despite what the Headline of what the Post says, I don't trust those Hardcore Bible thumpers who hang on every word the Bible says.  :D

1388995[/snapback]

To be fair, I don't trust religious extremists in general is a better way of putting it, at least for me.

Ahh people..Ive said it once ive said it a million times..Step into the Whomp..Whompianity is the clear concise answer you are all looking for.

Well, various Protestant sects believe in the predetermination thing, no?

Catholics and the fundamentalists believe in the just-believe-and-you-will-be-saved thing, no?

1388991[/snapback]

Some protestants believe in predestination. Most fundamentalists believe in a "once saved, always saved" type of thing--Catholics don't. (Although it is true that almost all Christian religions believe that a person could be saved if they truly repent for their sins at the end of their lives. Committing sins with the idea that a magic wand will be waved at the end of one's life to clear them all up is not necessarily a winning stragegy. The Catholic idea of purgatory is also something that should serve to dissuade Catholics from sinning as, even if the sinner might be saved, he will be punished for these sins before he eventually reaches heaven.)

Again, this isn't just a Christian thing either.

Some protestants believe in predestination.  Most fundamentalists believe in a "once saved, always saved" type of thing--Catholics don't.  (Although it is true that almost all Christian religions believe that a person could be saved if they truly repent for their sins at the end of their lives.  Committing sins with the idea that a magic wand will be waved at the end of one's life to clear them all up is not necessarily a winning stragegy.  The Catholic idea of purgatory is also something that should serve to dissuade Catholics from sinning as, even if the sinner might be saved, he will be punished for these sins before he eventually reaches heaven.)

Again, this isn't just a Christian thing either.

1389012[/snapback]

So what you are saying is that belief in a god and an afterlife does not necessarily mean that the person will behave ethically. Some have that incentive, others don't.

So why should I automatically think it better to do business with a person of faith than an athiest?

So what you are saying is that belief in a god and an afterlife does not necessarily mean that the person will behave ethically.  Some have that incentive, others don't.

So why should I automatically think it better to do business with a person of faith than an athiest?

1389016[/snapback]

If you're both friends with Jesus then you sort of know each other and give each other a good deal.

EXACTLY!  People think that because they are 'Christian' others should or will trust them. The Catholic faith is even worse. There is nothing exciting or trustworthy about the history of religion, in fact, it's disgusting and horrible what they do to many people. 

Despite what the Headline of what the Post says, I don't trust those Hardcore Bible thumpers who hang on every word the Bible says.  :D

1388995[/snapback]

most people recite bible scripture and don't even know what it means...

they don't realize the bible has "god" encouraging slavery and beating your children...and if you don't obey him, he'll ravage your family..etc. etc.

I'm not agnostic or anything like that, I just don't follow any religion...someone/thing had to create everything we are aware of....the part where my brain shuts off at is who/what created what created everything we know...

then I go :D

so I just know that something made everything...but doesn't control our fate...and it isn't judging us like the bible says...that's just trying to keep people in check...

Excellent point.  While this is a bit extreme, I think there are a lot fo people out there like this.  If you have seen this episode the best example was in the episode where the "crazy religious" person's friends had a conversation about God/sprituality with open, accepting, slightly hippy lady and their (religious people) conversation was laced with judgement and disdain.

1388943[/snapback]

I agree. I actually have seen that episode too and it freaked me out. It comes down to a lack of respect from my point of view. Religion plays no role in respect, unless of course, I was somehow converted to Catholic; then maybe they would respect me. I almost feel bad for people like that because it seems like they are missing out on a very awesome part of life most people get to experience.

I agree. I actually have seen that episode too and it freaked me out. It comes down to a lack of respect from my point of view. Religion plays no role in respect, unless of course, I was somehow converted to Catholic; then maybe they would respect me. I almost feel bad for people like that because it seems like they are missing out on a very awesome part of life most people get to experience.

1389029[/snapback]

:D