[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What the hell is happening in Tampa?

AtomicCEO

I just watched them sweep the Sox with some dominating pitching. They are 3.5 ahead of Boston and 7.5 ahead of the Yankers.

They finished out of last place in this division exactly once since they joined it in 1998... and they just barely beat out Toronto for 2nd-to-last by 3 games.

Is this a new era of Tampa baseball? Or is this just a Rockies-esque streak, and they won't make the playoffs now or ever.

I just watched them sweep the Sox with some dominating pitching. They are 3.5 ahead of Boston and 7.5 ahead of the Yankers.

They finished out of last place in this division exactly once since they joined it in 1998... and they just barely beat out Toronto for 2nd-to-last by 3 games.

Is this a new era of Tampa baseball? Or is this just a Rockies-esque streak, and they won't make the playoffs now or ever.

This is definitely not a one time thing. They are for real, and they are extremely young. I'm definitely pulling for them.

Didn't the Rockies make it to the World Series last year? Anyway...

I have watched nearly every game this season and they are genuinely good. They had the bats last year and they traded away some clubhouse cancers for pitching that has clearly worked out very nicely for them.

Remember this name:

EVAN LONGORIA.

Indeed! Go out right now and find his rookie card. That would be this year, by the way.

SIDE NOTE:

Talk about disrespect or just plain incompetence... On MLB.com's All-Star ballots, as recently as yesterday, they've got Willie Aybar as the Rays 3B. Longoria is top 3 or 4 in just about every major offensive statistical category and he's the 2nd best fielding 3B in the AL yet he's not even listed on the friggin ballots. But I digress...

GO RAYS!!!

This is definitely not a one time thing. They are for real, and they are extremely young. I'm definitely pulling for them.

If they end up with superstar players, will the market support them? Or will they all get sold off a la the Marlins?

Tell me some good news. It's bad enough we have to play the stupid Yankees all the time.

If they end up with superstar players, will the market support them? Or will they all get sold off a la the Marlins?

Tell me some good news. It's bad enough we have to play the stupid Yankees all the time.

That is a good question, and one of the things that sucks and is completely unfair about baseball. Sadly, the answer is probably no. They aren't going to be able to be towards the top of the MLB payrolls anytime soon. However, this group they have is extremely young, so they should have a handful of years with them before it becomes a problem for them.

I just like seeing a team turn it around and put a scare into the big spenders............. It is early yet, but, so far, so good. I watch them and imagine how cool it will be IF the Pirates ever come into power again. Several years of losing makes the winning taste that much better.

They will win the division sending Sox and Yankee fans to the window sills and bridges. Seriously. They may not make it to the WS, but they will win the division.

"Warm weather markets" can go f*ck themselves when it comes to sports teams IMO.

I thought it was clever when you read between the lines of my post that was clearly not sarcasm in any way, and threw it back at me.

Solid work.

You should use more than one line next time if

Slayer is a dumbass anyways

you want someone to read between the lines :wacko:

Edited by Caveman_Nick

You should use more than one line next time if

Slayer is a dumbass anyways

you want someone to read between the lines :wacko:

:D a dumbass who is ahead of cn in our H2H league. Jealousy comes out in so many ways.

How the Mets gave the Rays Kazmir is just unbeleivable still to this day. I like the Rays make up. They have great speed and solid pitching .Shields has done very well this year. I still think the Sox take the east but the Rays make the playoffs. Its about time someone new challenged in the east. The Blue Jays showed glimmers in the past but always fade and my O's :wacko:

Edited by whomper

• 2 weeks later...
Tampa Bay streak: Lost 7.

Whoops.

Yep. Fortunately that 7 game skid going into the All-Star break followed a 7 game win streak so it didn't kill them. They are 6-4 since the break though and back in 1st.

I think they were riding that 7 game high, saw the break coming and shut it down too early. They weren't hitting, pitching or fielding during that stretch. I don't see that happening again unless they just run into a couple teams consecutively that are red hot.

• 1 month later...

Just an update...

August is almost over. They're 27-12 since the All-Star break. 31 games over .500. 4.5 ahead of the Sox.

My favorite part of this season has been hearing this all summer... Well it's a nice story but it's only May. Yeah, they're still playing really well but wait til about the All-Star break. Sure, the Rays are on fire but we'll see where they are in September.

Just an update...

August is almost over. They're 27-12 since the All-Star break. 31 games over .500. 4.5 ahead of the Sox.

My favorite part of this season has been hearing this all summer... Well it's a nice story but it's only May. Yeah, they're still playing really well but wait til about the All-Star break. Sure, the Rays are on fire but we'll see where they are in September.

I'll be the first to admit that I did not think they would keep it up. They have a great season going for them.

I still doubt them for the postseason. :wacko: Prove me wrong, Rays.