[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

HUDDLERS' 2009 NFL MOCK DRAFT!

irish

Electricrelish and any other Steeler homers that may want to add their opinion, are now on the clock selecting for the Steelers.

• Replies 555
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gints pick was first bad one since DET taking Curry IMO (which also isn't as bad). This guy is big and strong and that's it. Slow and stupid and questionable character and they had other needs they could've/should've addressed.

Gints pick was first bad one since DET taking Curry IMO (which also isn't as bad). This guy is big and strong and that's it. Slow and stupid and questionable character and they had other needs they could've/should've addressed.

I agree, the fellas for the G-men took Loadholt too early (about 2 rounds or so). There were better OTs still on the board.

We have completed one full round of the Huddle Mock NFL Draft in less than a week and actually slightly less than 6 days. Great job done by all as I know, I along with most others involved, have enjoyed doing this and look forward to seeing how round 2 unfolds.

Policyvote is on the clock selecting for the Lions to start off Round 2.

Edited by irish

I'm surprised that Alphonso Smith was still around this late. The Pittsburgh Steelers desperately need help on the offensive line, but there wasn't anyone that was good enough to be a first round pick, so I debated between Sean Smith, S/CB and Alphonso Smith, CB. Sean Smith is tall but not necessarily quick. I don't know if he will be the next Mel Blount. I also thought about Duke Robinson and Alex Mack, but these guys are more apt to be around in the second round. I thought I would grab the best player available first, and then match that player up with a one of our strong needs. Alphonso Smith is only 5'9", but he really can play football, and we need a replacement for Bryant McFadden.

Edited by electricrelish

I'm surprised that Alphonso Smith was still around this late. The Steelers desperately need help on the offensive line, but there wasn't anyone that was good enough to be a first round pick, so I debated between Sean Smith and Alphonso Smith. Sean Smith is tall but not necessarily quick. I don't know if he will be the next Mel Blount. Alphonso Smith is only 5'9", but he really can play football, and we need a replacement for Bryant McFadden.

Solid pick and he went about right where I thought he would, maybe a couple picks later. He'll probably more than likely start off as a nickel guy and may never be more than a #2 corner. His lack of size and top end speed are more than likely the reason that he didn't go higher in this mock and may not in the real deal. He does have great hands, footwork, quickness, technique and has great zone awareness. I've read elsewhere that he's got quite a mouth on him and never stops talking sh!t.

Edited by irish

Solid pick and he went about right where I thought he would, maybe a couple picks later. He'll probably more than likely start off as a nickel guy and may never be more than a #2 corner. His lack of size and top end speed are more than likely the reason that he didn't go higher in this mock and may not in the real deal. He does have great hands, footwork, quickness, technique and has great zone awareness. I've read elsewhere that he's got quite a mouth on him and never stops talking sh!t.

Interesting that you say he will start off as a nickel because Bryant McFadden started off as a nickel back as well. Bryant McFadden is 6'0" and 190lbs, whereas Alphonso Smith is 5'9" and 193 lbs. Both players are similar, which is why I was hoping he could replace the loss of McFadden. Smith's vocal confidence could be a good thing.

Great pick by Policy, I had a feeling that you were going to look at Freeman here or I had a couple OTs in mind as well. So you get your hands on Curry and are now able to grab a QB whose stock is rising quite a bit. I read today that the Jets would love to draft Sanchez with their 17th pick but doubt he slides that far. If not, they may in fact draft Freeman there. The Jets are bringing Freeman in for a private workout (little chalk talk and such) on Friday I believe.

Patsfan is now on the clock selecting for the Patriots.

Edited by irish

Well ths fell out interestingly . . .

The trade for Julian Peterson, and the continuing dissolution of the Culter-Broncos relationship make this a really hard way to go. I feel strongly that the Lions will take an offensive lineman and a middle linebacker with their first two picks, and whether that's Curry & Oher or Smith & Maualuga/Laurenitis, it almost doesn't matter. Obviously, if the Lions do swing a deal for Cutler, one of those first-rounders will be gone. That just makes it Curry & Unger/Mack or Smith & Laurenitis/Matthews.

HOWEVER, if the Cutler deal does not go down, and Freeman is still here at 2.1 (which WON'T happen!), there is no way they pass him up. Hell, they may not pass him up at 1.20! He has all the same strengths that Daunte Culpepper had, and some of the same weaknesses--but Linehan sure was able to use Culpepper's strengths and minimize his weaknesses, didn't he? Culpepper and Stanton will duke it out for the right to start until Freeman is ready. A 2.1 can be brought along slowly; a 1.1 must start ASAP. I think Freeman has all-world potential but won't feel the intense pressure a 1.1 would until he's ready.

Peace

policy

:wacko:

good pick swammi and fitz...I also feel that there is great value to be had in the 2nd and 3rd round at the RB position and that the Eagles will likely draft a RB with one of those picks even if they have to trade up at some point to get "their guy"....

anyways...who knows, they could also end up drafting someone on the OL with one of these picks to help compete and fill out the depth on the right side as well....

I take the blame for the bad pick. Mr Ted & I didn't discuss much. We both wanted Nicks & thought he'd be left. When he wasn't we agreed an OT would help. Our starting 5 have been great but there is no depth there. As for the player I admit I was clueless and looked at a CBS mock for help. When I looked I found this:

Philip Loadholt, OT, Oklahoma: In franchising Max Starks, re-signing Chris Kemoeatu and tendering Willie Colon, the Steelers have maintained much of their starting offensive line. The problem is, despite winning the Super Bowl this line allowed 49 sacks last year - a number exceeded only by the Bengals (51), Lions (52) and 49ers (55). Loadholt, a two-time all-conference selection at left tackle for the Sooners, is moving up draft boards.

I guess I should've done more research. Next pick I'll let Mr Ted decide.

I take the blame for the bad pick. Mr Ted & I didn't discuss much. We both wanted Nicks & thought he'd be left. When he wasn't we agreed an OT would help. Our starting 5 have been great but there is no depth there. As for the player I admit I was clueless and looked at a CBS mock for help. When I looked I found this:

Philip Loadholt, OT, Oklahoma: In franchising Max Starks, re-signing Chris Kemoeatu and tendering Willie Colon, the Steelers have maintained much of their starting offensive line. The problem is, despite winning the Super Bowl this line allowed 49 sacks last year - a number exceeded only by the Bengals (51), Lions (52) and 49ers (55). Loadholt, a two-time all-conference selection at left tackle for the Sooners, is moving up draft boards.

I guess I should've done more research. Next pick I'll let Mr Ted decide.

No sweat Timmy. It's just a mock draft and you've filled in admirably picking for the Giants. This is all for fun and to create conversation. Nobody knows it all. I for one, appreciate the effort that you and everyone else has put in making for a great mock draft. Thanks.

Name dropped.

Post deleted.

I'm not sure dropping names is a tabu here. This isn't a fantasy league.

We may want to drop names like GM's do to get teams to take players we don't like.

We may want to drop names like GM's do to get teams to take players we don't like.

By the way, if it gets to me by this evening, I'll most likely be able to pick, but I'm catching a flight tomorrow morning early, and will be away most of the day.

Irish, If I hold things up tomorrow, please don't hesitate to have someone else pick for the 49ers.

Yeah, no worries about name dropping here. That's a fantasy draft thing.

By the way, if it gets to me by this evening, I'll most likely be able to pick, but I'm catching a flight tomorrow morning early, and will be away most of the day.

Irish, If I hold things up tomorrow, please don't hesitate to have someone else pick for the 49ers.

Gotcha Gopher. Hopefully you get the pick in. If not you could always send me some options or we'll work it out. Thanks for the heads-up.

Peteteacher2001 is currently on the clock selecting for the Rams.

Mojo20 is currently on the clock selecting for the Browns.

Well PON there goes Ron Brace.

Solid pick.