[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Song of Ice and Fire HBO pilot set to start filming this weekend

giggity

Loving this series. I'm glad my memory of the storylines has turned to mush, so I can enjoy the series.

I would advise people NOT to read the books, as there are lots of twists, surprises and downright shocking stuff that happens that will be ruined if you read the books first.

Just my humble opinion...

just finished the Game of Thrones and starting Clash of Kings. Is it safe to start watching the show, or are they covering material in the later books?

Pretty much sticking to the book at this point but they do make some of the relationships a bit more obvious and in your face than you probably don't pick up on reading the first book.

Loving this series. I'm glad my memory of the storylines has turned to mush, so I can enjoy the series.

I would advise people NOT to read the books, as there are lots of twists, surprises and downright shocking stuff that happens that will be ruined if you read the books first.

Just my humble opinion...

The joys of getting old!!! :wacko: I read the book so long ago I just remember the really big things, so it like new to me too.

• 2 weeks later...
This is a great series BUT it seems like they are killing off people rather quickly. How can they maintain teh character developmnet if they only last a few episodes?

Plus I am going to start referring to all short people as "imp".

dont worry there are many more to kill off.

I finally caught up last night and now I'm up to date on all of the Game of Thrones episodes. The series gets stronger and stronger with each episode. The one thing that I can't help but notice is that the main character Eddard Stark keeps making mistake after mistake right from the very beginning of the show. It's a little frustrating because he doesn't seem like that good of a leader and he's terribly naive. His wife isn't much better. They both keep screwing up royally.

Edited by electricrelish

I finally caught up last night and now I'm up to date on all of the Game of Thrones episodes. The series gets stronger and stronger with each episode. The one thing that I can't help but notice is that the main character Eddard Stark keeps making mistake after mistake right from the very beginning of the show. It's a little frustrating because he doesn't seem like that good of a leader and he's terribly naive. His wife isn't much better. They both keep screwing up royally.

When a man is trustworthy, he tends to see others in the same light. He expects others to be trustworthy. When a man is a manipulative weasel, he expects others to be the same. People tend to expect in others what they expect of themselves.

When a man is trustworthy, he tends to see others in the same light. He expects others to be trustworthy. When a man is a manipulative weasel, he expects others to be the same. People tend to expect in others what they expect of themselves.

spot

I am enjoying the HBO series a great deal, but I can honestly say that I am enjoying the the books even more. I am in the middle of Clash of Kings and can't stop reading. I highly suggest everyone who is enjoying the HBO series to pick up the books. It is a more enriching experience and although you will spoil some of the twists in the show by reading the book, the hours of entertainment gained is well worth it.

***Spoiler Alert***

Do not read below if you have not watched up until episode eight.

I haven't read the books, so perhaps that is a theme, but one of the first decisions we see Stark make in the show is to behead the man, who left his watch. The reason is because he didn't think the kid was trustworthy. Stark believes that the kid is a liar without any further investigation. Later, in the episode he asks someone else what he thought of the kid, and that person gives him a different account. Of course, the audience has the advantage in knowing that Stark was wrong..

In my opinion, the show demonstrates Stark's inability to learn. We think of the King as arrogant, but so is Stark. He has his mind made up about right and wrong and does not heed what anyone tells him. Let me count a few ways.

• Stark beheads the man who left his watch. He listens to what the kid tells him, but decides not to be bothered with it because he believes it to be a lie. His family makes it a point to even have his youngest to attend to watch what a great leader their father is....NOT.

• Stark's wife tells him of the plot against his son. Stark says we can do nothing unless they have proof. Stark fails to realize that his wife will not wait on him. It's as if Stark does not know his wife well enough to know what she is capable of. If he does not know that she will pursue the matter with or without him, then he has not been paying attention to her all of these years. Again, we see Stark not pursue the matter himself, instead he does nothing. Mind you, he's busy with being the King's hand, but hey, life is not convenient.

• Furthermore, Stark does not know his second daughter very well. He tells her of what she will do in the future, and Arya says, "No, that's not me." Stark has not been paying attention.

• Stark learns why the King's hand before him was murdered. He realizes that his family is in danger, so he plans for his daughters to return home. Stark doesn't take the danger seriously enough. He puts together the fact that his kid was almost killed for finding out about the queen's affair, yet he tells the queen before he has secured his daughters' safety. When he is asked why he told the queen, his answer is that he wanted to show mercy for the queen's kid. The queen even tells him, "When you play the game of thrones, you win or you die. There is no middle ground." She forewarns him that those are the stakes that she is playing, and does Stark heed her warning? He gathers some men, but doesn't really take her warning seriously. The fact of the matter is despite all that he learned (i.e. his kid being pushed off a castle, previous King's hand murdered), he still thinks of her as a woman, who cannot harm him. Stark also puts his confidence in the King, a man who married this evil queen. The King is the man who made him murder his family's wolf. The King is the man who ordered him to kill an unborn child that prompted him to resign as the King's hand. Why would Starks ever rely on his family's safety based upon what the King would do?

• Petyr Baelish tells him that the King's men will follow who pays them. He also warns Starks not to trust him. Stark ignores both of these things that Petyr tells him. Again, Stark is so arrogant that he is blind to what he is directly warned about. The end result is that all of his men are killed. Nice job, Stark.

Stark's leadership may be suitable for Winterfield, but as far as ruling the Realm, Stark falls shorter than an imp.

I'm going to begin reading the books now.

***Spoiler Alert***

Do not read below if you have not watched up until episode eight.

I haven't read the books, so perhaps that is a theme, but one of the first decisions we see Stark make in the show is to behead the man, who left his watch. The reason is because he didn't think the kid was trustworthy. Stark believes that the kid is a liar without any further investigation. Later, in the episode he asks someone else what he thought of the kid, and that person gives him a different account. Of course, the audience has the advantage in knowing that Stark was wrong..

In my opinion, the show demonstrates Stark's inability to learn. We think of the King as arrogant, but so is Stark. He has his mind made up about right and wrong and does not heed what anyone tells him. Let me count a few ways.

• Stark beheads the man who left his watch. He listens to what the kid tells him, but decides not to be bothered with it because he believes it to be a lie. His family makes it a point to even have his youngest to attend to watch what a great leader their father is....NOT.

• Stark's wife tells him of the plot against his son. Stark says we can do nothing unless they have proof. Stark fails to realize that his wife will not wait on him. It's as if Stark does not know his wife well enough to know what she is capable of. If he does not know that she will pursue the matter with or without him, then he has not been paying attention to her all of these years. Again, we see Stark not pursue the matter himself, instead he does nothing. Mind you, he's busy with being the King's hand, but hey, life is not convenient.

• Furthermore, Stark does not know his second daughter very well. He tells her of what she will do in the future, and Arya says, "No, that's not me." Stark has not been paying attention.

• Stark learns why the King's hand before him was murdered. He realizes that his family is in danger, so he plans for his daughters to return home. Stark doesn't take the danger seriously enough. He puts together the fact that his kid was almost killed for finding out about the queen's affair, yet he tells the queen before he has secured his daughters' safety. When he is asked why he told the queen, his answer is that he wanted to show mercy for the queen's kid. The queen even tells him, "When you play the game of thrones, you win or you die. There is no middle ground." She forewarns him that those are the stakes that she is playing, and does Stark heed her warning? He gathers some men, but doesn't really take her warning seriously. The fact of the matter is despite all that he learned (i.e. his kid being pushed off a castle, previous King's hand murdered), he still thinks of her as a woman, who cannot harm him. Stark also puts his confidence in the King, a man who married this evil queen. The King is the man who made him murder his family's wolf. The King is the man who ordered him to kill an unborn child that prompted him to resign as the King's hand. Why would Starks ever rely on his family's safety based upon what the King would do?

• Petyr Baelish tells him that the King's men will follow who pays them. He also warns Starks not to trust him. Stark ignores both of these things that Petyr tells him. Again, Stark is so arrogant that he is blind to what he is directly warned about. The end result is that all of his men are killed. Nice job, Stark.

Stark's leadership may be suitable for Winterfield, but as far as ruling the Realm, Stark falls shorter than an imp.

u be missing some things . :wacko: but i have read the books a couple of times. I am re reading them again before the new one comes out also.

u be missing some things . :wacko: but i have read the books a couple of times. I am re reading them again before the new one comes out also.

Right, I haven't read the books, so it's probably difficult to remember what you got from the books and what's actually in the show. These are my opinions based on the show, which may be omitting essential things, but so my far, the show doesn't portray Stark's leadership in the best light.

***Spoiler Alert***

• Stark beheads the man who left his watch. This is wrong. Stark beheads a man who deserted from the Night Watch. The penalty for deserting the Night Watch is death. He listens to what the kid tells him, but decides not to be bothered with it because he believes it to be a lie. His family makes it a point to even have his youngest to attend to watch what a great leader their father is....NOT. You missed the point in why he wants his son to watch. Killing is not pretty and not easy. The man who gives the death penalty order should be the man to carry out the order so that the order is not given lightly.

• Stark's wife tells him of the plot against his son. Stark says we can do nothing unless they have proof. Stark fails to realize that his wife will not wait on him. It's as if Stark does not know his wife well enough to know what she is capable of. If he does not know that she will pursue the matter with or without him, then he has not been paying attention to her all of these years. Again, we see Stark not pursue the matter himself, instead he does nothing. Mind you, he's busy with being the King's hand, but hey, life is not convenient. Catelyn comes across Tyrion by chance and she had not planned to do anything. In the book, the moment Stark is told of the dagger, he wants to go to the King to accuse Cersei but is talked out of it as the dagger in and of itself is not enough proof. It is also noted in the book that once he gathers enough evidence, he plans to go to the King.

• Stark learns why the King's hand before him was murdered. He realizes that his family is in danger, so he plans for his daughters to return home. Stark doesn't take the danger seriously enough. He puts together the fact that his kid was almost killed for finding out about the queen's affair, yet he tells the queen before he has secured his daughters' safety. When he is asked why he told the queen, his answer is that he wanted to show mercy for the queen's kid. The queen even tells him, "When you play the game of thrones, you win or you die. There is no middle ground." She forewarns him that those are the stakes that she is playing, and does Stark heed her warning? He gathers some men, but doesn't really take her warning seriously. This is accurate. He felt that Cersei would leave with her children. He did not accurately assess her ruthlessness. The fact of the matter is despite all that he learned (i.e. his kid being pushed off a castle, previous King's hand murdered), he still thinks of her as a woman, who cannot harm him. I think he sees her as a woman who will not harm him, not one who cannot harm him. Stark also puts his confidence in the King, a man who married this evil queen. The King is the man who made him murder his family's wolf. The King is the man who ordered him to kill an unborn child that prompted him to resign as the King's hand. Why would Starks ever rely on his family's safety based upon what the King would do? I think Stark realistically believes that once the King is made aware that his children are really the children of Cersei and Jamie, there's a good chance that the King is going to kill Cersei. Stark does not want to see 'innocent' children hurt/killed and so urges Cersei to leave with them.

• Petyr Baelish tells him that the King's men will follow who pays them. He also warns Starks not to trust him. Stark ignores both of these things that Petyr tells him. Again, Stark is so arrogant that he is blind to what he is directly warned about. The end result is that all of his men are killed. Nice job, Stark. Stark is too trusting and clearly out of his element in King's Landing. However, his wife trusts Petyr and Stark trusts his wife completely. I do not agree that Stark is 'arrogant.

My comments are in bold.

And now anyone watching the series prior to reading the books knows.... Expect the unexpected.

Spoiler from tonight's episode:

:wacko: So "the unexpected" is that they killed off one of the most central characters, or that he somehow lives? (Rhetorical question; I'll wait for next week.)

By the way, my wife said if she ever saw the actor who plays Joffrey, she would punch him. I kind of feel the same way. :tup:

Last night was the first night of the show that I really missed a movie big budget on this show. They completely cut out two big battle scenes that are discribed in the book fully. I felt a bit cheated upon only seeing the results and not the actual battles. I still am really enjoying the HBO series, but it further confirms my feelings that the books are a much more rewarding experience.

Last night was the first night of the show that I really missed a movie big budget on this show. They completely cut out two big battle scenes that are discribed in the book fully. I felt a bit cheated upon only seeing the results and not the actual battles. I still am really enjoying the HBO series, but it further confirms my feelings that the books are a much more rewarding experience.

Yes, that was a bit disappointing.