[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What other hobbies do ya have

nuke'em ttg

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How old are you? In regard to hobbies, I love to fish and rollerblade. Rollerblading is way better for your body (knees) and just as good of a workout. Fishing for small/largemouth bass is a favorite of mine.

old enough ta go to the store :woot:

Doing the Gladiator on June 16. What did you do for footwear? Any other advice?

PM sent. For the record, aside from the 4 marathons I've run, this was the sickest thing I've ever done. Physically and mentally draining, kicked the ever-living sh*t out of me, and I absolutely loved it. Still have sore muscles, my arms and legs look like they've been in a meat grinder from the barbed wire, rocks, terrain, etc. Not sure if the Gladiator is like the Spartan but the Spartan is nuts. Already signed up for next year. :brow:

The Spartan also have something called the Spartan Death Race. 26.2 miles with obstacles. Last year 250 started it and 10 finished, I think the winning time was 28 hours. Look it up on google if you're bored.

Probably more information than you asked for, sorry. :doh:

Edited by Hugh 0ne

PM sent. For the record, aside from the 4 marathons I've run, this was the sickest thing I've ever done. Physically and mentally draining, kicked the ever-living sh*t out of me, and I absolutely loved it. Still have sore muscles, my arms and legs look like they've been in a meat grinder from the barbed wire, rocks, terrain, etc. Not sure if the Gladiator is like the Spartan but the Spartan is nuts. Already signed up for next year. :brow:

The Spartan also have something called the Spartan Death Race. 26.2 miles with obstacles. Last year 250 started it and 10 finished, I think the winning time was 28 hours. Look it up on google if you're bored.

Dude, please tighten up your responses.

no no don't stop, did ya chit yer shorts and crawl across the finish line like that one chick

Sounds fun. I think the Gladiator might be a level down from Spartan. 6k 17 obsticles, including a fire pit.

OK makes the 70.3 I have in 4 weeks sound like a walk in the park. I'll remember this when I'm running toward the end of it for motivation.

You

Sounds fun. I think the Gladiator might be a level down from Spartan. 6k 17 obsticles, including a fire pit.

People

OK makes the 70.3 I have in 4 weeks sound like a walk in the park. I'll remember this when I'm running toward the end of it for motivation.

Are Insane...

+1 I had a girl ask when I said "riding the bike" was I talking about a bicycle or motorcycle. I asked if my fat ass looked like I was riding a bicycle? That was prior to losing 50 lbs, but still...

One of my first motorcycle riding friends was an avid bicyclist, did some competitive riding, long trips, Mt. Mitchell hill climb, etc. He said when he was at Deal's Gap and saw motorcycles go whizzing by at full lean he realized that pedaling bikes wasn't going to be as fun. He since quit riding (after a bad accident and some other health issues and outside interests) but I know during the years he rode motorcycles he didn't ride his bicycle much.

no no don't stop, did ya chit yer shorts and crawl across the finish line like that one chick

No, but had I sh*t mah pants you wouldn't have been able to tell because I was covered in smelly brown mud anyway.

So I've added gardening... That & some work we want to do to the house has gotten me back into my CAD program again as well. I've decided to lay out my house plans as well as my landscape for design ideas. :nerd:

One of my first motorcycle riding friends was an avid bicyclist, did some competitive riding, long trips, Mt. Mitchell hill climb, etc. He said when he was at Deal's Gap and saw motorcycles go whizzing by at full lean he realized that pedaling bikes wasn't going to be as fun. He since quit riding (after a bad accident and some other health issues and outside interests) but I know during the years he rode motorcycles he didn't ride his bicycle much.

So, after spending years racing bicyles and riding (bikes) a ton, I ended up getting a Seca II a number of years back (like 20 years ago). I recall convincing myself, "Hey, doing 40-50 on a bike is thrilling as it is, I don't see myself needing to go much faster than that." That lasted about not at all which I should have known. Mind you, part of the thrill of doing 50+ on a bicycle is the fact that you're sitting on 20 lbs of bike on top of 1 inch wide wheels. It seems so much faster than what you're doing. With a motor bike, I never got that same rush until I was well on the other side of 100.

I do miss it, but if I ever got another, I'd get some old cruiser that wasn't as built for speed. Did like that cafe bike though. Not a full-on crotch rocket, but it could boogie.

So, after spending years racing bicyles and riding (bikes) a ton, I ended up getting a Seca II a number of years back (like 20 years ago). I recall convincing myself, "Hey, doing 40-50 on a bike is thrilling as it is, I don't see myself needing to go much faster than that." That lasted about not at all which I should have known. Mind you, part of the thrill of doing 50+ on a bicycle is the fact that you're sitting on 20 lbs of bike on top of 1 inch wide wheels. It seems so much faster than what you're doing. With a motor bike, I never got that same rush until I was well on the other side of 100.

I do miss it, but if I ever got another, I'd get some old cruiser that wasn't as built for speed. Did like that cafe bike though. Not a full-on crotch rocket, but it could boogie.

My first bike in 97 was a Suzuki Bandit, very similar to a Seca. After riding with guys on much better bikes (suspension, and brakes mostly but motor too) I needed something better. If the full on sport bikes are not your think, also look at what they call adventure bikes (Suzuki V-Strom is onw example I know many who like them). A much more upright riding position, some ability for light off road use (less plastic, larger wheels to handle dirt, etc). But cruisers are not bad either, anything on 2 wheels.

I enjoy riding twisty roads the best, you don't really need to go that fast. And at 100+ things happen far too quickly, and can end very badly on 2 wheels.

My first bike in 97 was a Suzuki Bandit, very similar to a Seca. After riding with guys on much better bikes (suspension, and brakes mostly but motor too) I needed something better. If the full on sport bikes are not your think, also look at what they call adventure bikes (Suzuki V-Strom is onw example I know many who like them). A much more upright riding position, some ability for light off road use (less plastic, larger wheels to handle dirt, etc). But cruisers are not bad either, anything on 2 wheels.

I enjoy riding twisty roads the best, you don't really need to go that fast. And at 100+ things happen far too quickly, and can end very badly on 2 wheels.

That's the problem, sport bikes very much are "my thing" (though I never rode anything more "rad" than a cafe bike). I know myself too well. I don't drive my car all that fast, nor have I ever had any interest in a high performance car. But I spent so much time on 2 wheels that I just feel really comfy going fast. At my age, I don't need to mess around with that.

Fortunately there's not really any hills out here big enough to get my bicycle up to the speeds I used to hit when I was younger, so I pretty much stay out of trouble.

• 2 weeks later...

PM sent. For the record, aside from the 4 marathons I've run, this was the sickest thing I've ever done.

OK, that was the coolest thing ever.

I though of you as I crawled through the last mud pits before climbing the 14 foot wall. The flags we just there so you could see where the barbed wire was and the flags show up better in pictures I suppose. I was so happy the one I ran had barbed wire too. :lol: