[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Anybody picking up Rod Smith?

turbinator

I'm going to roster Big Rod for 1 week on a couple of teams with 20 man rosters and see how things play out.  He moves well for a guy that is 6'3", 235 pounds.  He looked good in the preseason and has a one-cut, downhill running style that could prosper behind an offensive line that creates big holes.  He even had 7 receptions for 57 yards in the preseason which is excellent on so few snaps.  Jerry recently said that Alfred will get the most carries but that could just be coachspeak.   Alfred Morris and Darren McFadden are journeymen at this point in their careers.

Here is his 45 yard run from 2 weeks ago

Edited by michaelredd9
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, michaelredd9 said:

Alfred Morris and Darren McFadden are journeymen at this point in their careers.

You realize Alfred Morris is only 28 right? He was drafted in 2012. His stats were incredible the first two years until a coaching staff change inhibited his usage and running style.

He is still young and fresh. I have a feeling he is going to surprise a lot of people behind a good offensive line.

I know it feels like he's been around forever, but in reality, he hasn't. He has considerably less wear on the tires than McFadden.

Edited by Alphashado

2 hours ago, Alphashado said:

You realize Alfred Morris is only 28 right? He was drafted in 2012. His stats were incredible the first two years until a coaching staff change inhibited his usage and running style.

He is still young and fresh. I have a feeling he is going to surprise a lot of people behind a good offensive line

At 28.91 years old, he isn't ancient but he isn't a spring chicken either.  He was heavily used in his first 4 years and runs with a physical style that is hard on the body.  Some running backs make it to 30 years old still playing at a high level.  But most running backs start declining well before they reach that age. 

Morris definitely did well in his first two years when he played for Mike Shanahan.  In the last 3 years, he hasn't done as well.  I'm more apt to think that his success can be attributed to playing for Shanahan than to think that his mediocrity can be attributed to his subsequent coaches.  But I'm just speculating.  One indication that the latter is true is that no team wanted to sign him as their starter last year.  Granted, his 2 years/$3.5 million contract is more than most backups get paid. 

I won't be surprised if Morris does well.  He is a between-the-tackles, power runner which is ideal behind the Dallas offensive line.  But I also won't be surprised if Rod Smith gets the most work.  He is also a power runner.  Dallas needs their running game to win and they are going to play the running back that plays the best.  I'd put the odds at 50% chance of Morris getting the most touches, 30% chance of McFadden getting the most touches, and 20% chance of Rod Smith getting the most touches.  If you have the bench space, I think all three are worth rostering for at least this week.  I own 3 shares of Morris, 1 share of McFadden, and 4 shares of Rod.  I am a running back dumpster whore.  I am praying to the Fantasy Gods that it isn't a straight up timeshare where none of them has any real fantasy value.

Edited by michaelredd9

Dang Redd....look what you made me go and do.  You're right, though, until we see what happens on the field we can't be sure.  I now have all 4 cowboys RBs rostered in one league (20 player roster).   Gave Mr. "What have you done for me lately" Cohen the boot there.   Rostered Morris and Smith in another.  Really hoping we see a bunch of Mr. Smith goes to the Gatorade this week, would rather not see him on the field (unless he rises to the top and stays there).  I won't be starting him this week, however.

I do not see Garrett pulling a Belicek, though.  I think he will stick to one guy more than the others over time.  Question is...who?  All along I thought it would be Run DMC, but now it looks like Morris might be the guy getting his shot first.

1 hour ago, MTSuper7 said:

I'd love to add Rod Smith, but I have to figure out who to drop between Vance Johnson and Ricky Nattiel. :thinking:

18 hours ago, Bier Meister said:

is ed mccaffrey available?

already taken.

4 hours ago, CowboysDiehard said:

Dang Redd....look what you made me go and do.  You're right, though, until we see what happens on the field we can't be sure.  I now have all 4 cowboys RBs rostered in one league (20 player roster).   Gave Mr. "What have you done for me lately" Cohen the boot there.   Rostered Morris and Smith in another.  Really hoping we see a bunch of Mr. Smith goes to the Gatorade this week, would rather not see him on the field (unless he rises to the top and stays there).  I won't be starting him this week, however.

I do not see Garrett pulling a Belicek, though.  I think he will stick to one guy more than the others over time.  Question is...who?  All along I thought it would be Run DMC, but now it looks like Morris might be the guy getting his shot first.

Are you starting any of the DAL RBs this week, if so over who?

For me its Morris over Tevin Coleman (my other RB on bench are all on bye Duke, Crowell, L Murray), also starting Abdullah.

33 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Are you starting any of the DAL RBs this week, if so over who?

For me its Morris over Tevin Coleman (my other RB on bench are all on bye Duke, Crowell, L Murray), also starting Abdullah.

Yes, I'm starting Morris in both my money leagues.  In one, with Gronk on bye and nothing on the WW to replace him, I just dealt Coleman to the Freeman owner to acquire Witten.  Did so in part because I had Morris, and also I somehow got Collins back off the WW last night after dropping him last week for JuJu.  Additionally, I'm playing the Zeke owner who leads the Freeman owner's division, which made the trade a no brainer for both of us.   Like you, I have Duke on my bench, but would start Morris over him week to week if things go as I expect.

In the other, I own Zeke and unless something changes in what the Cowboys are saying, believe that Morris is getting the call this week.  McFadden (who I own in that league as well) will need to shake off some rust before he gets heavy use (at least that's what I'm thinking).  The word 'assume' comes into play here :D . Caveat Emptor.

Edited by CowboysDiehard
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, CowboysDiehard said:

...just saw on the main page that Morris will start.  My assumption was good...also, he comes back home.  He was my 'three year keeper' when I drafted him his rookie season as a Redskin.  Maybe this is a sign of great things to come?  :tinfoilhat:

I honestly think Rod Smith is going to take over this backfield in a week or two.  Alfred looks good mixed in here or there, but I don't think he'll take the reigns when given the keys.

5 minutes ago, kdko said:

I honestly think Rod Smith is going to take over this backfield in a week or two.  Alfred looks good mixed in here or there, but I don't think he'll take the reigns when given the keys.

Thanks to Redd here, I already grabbed Smith in both leagues earlier today.  I'm happy either way.  Morris will be the starter this week, however.  You have to plug him into your lineup due to his upside.  I thought he looked great in the preseason, and has done well with his limited touches so far this year.

Just now, CowboysDiehard said:

Thanks to Redd here, I already grabbed Smith in both leagues earlier today.  I'm happy either way.  Morris will be the starter this week, however.  You have to plug him into your lineup due to his upside.  I thought he looked great in the preseason, and has done well with his limited touches so far this year.

Nice, and I agree.  The only one I'd start right now is Morris, or Smith if I was truly desperate in PPR.  Rod will probably get most of the passing down work out of the gate, and if Morris struggles at all he'll start taking some of those carries away.  At least that's what my crystal ball told me ...

• Like 1

Just now, kdko said:

Nice, and I agree.  The only one I'd start right now is Morris, or Smith if I was truly desperate in PPR.  Rod will probably get most of the passing down work out of the gate, and if Morris struggles at all he'll start taking some of those carries away.  At least that's what my crystal ball told me ...

If the crystal ball works, you'll have to tell me where on Amazon to get it (especially if it's one of those you have to shake)