[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cleveland is dealing today

jamesplante11

20 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

I don't get the Drew Stanton signing, is he going to compete with Kessler for the backup QB job, then the loser becomes #3 emergency QB they stash somehow while also rostering a rookie QB from the #1 draft slot?

Is this a better experienced NFL backup to help train the rookie (and maybe Kessler too).

Is Kessler dead weight that's going to get axed?

I think this move shows we are trying to deal Kessler or plan to cut him

And another former QB is shipped out, Cody Kessler (a 2016 3rd round pick) was traded to Jaguars for a conditional 7th round pick. Well that's not a lot, but he really had a limited role left in CLE. This new front office has a plan, part of that is removing guys that will continue to raise the "well maybe he should play" question, at QB first it was Kizer, now Kessler.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2018/03/browns_cody_kesslr_has_been_tr.html#incart_2box

On 3/26/2018 at 7:24 PM, loaf said:

I read that Stanton's here to be a mentor for whomever they pick at 1

1 hour ago, stevegrab said:

And another former QB is shipped out, Cody Kessler (a 2016 3rd round pick) was traded to Jaguars for a conditional 7th round pick. Well that's not a lot, but he really had a limited role left in CLE. This new front office has a plan, part of that is removing guys that will continue to raise the "well maybe he should play" question, at QB first it was Kizer, now Kessler.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2018/03/browns_cody_kesslr_has_been_tr.html#incart_2box

Yeah, see above.  Shipped out the youngsters for a pretty solid vet who learned under Palmer.

Taylor doesn't have the seasoning to be a tutor.

18 hours ago, darin3 said:

Yeah, see above.  Shipped out the youngsters for a pretty solid vet who learned under Palmer.

Taylor doesn't have the seasoning to be a tutor.

I think I heard Taylor admit that in an interview, or at least say that he'd like to help but has to focus first on preparing himself and helping the Browns win games.

As my one co-worker keeps saying "looks like we have a plan" which most of us never felt before. Or didn't have confidence for very long.

Lots of fans still hate Hue and are very angry he is still the coach. They hope we lose a lot early, so he is canned. I try to convince them that Dorsey is a smart guy, with a proven track record, he wouldn't put himself into a horrible situation like that (taking GM job with a bad HC who's likely to be fired soon).

29 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

I think I heard Taylor admit that in an interview, or at least say that he'd like to help but has to focus first on preparing himself and helping the Browns win games.

As my one co-worker keeps saying "looks like we have a plan" which most of us never felt before. Or didn't have confidence for very long.

Lots of fans still hate Hue and are very angry he is still the coach. They hope we lose a lot early, so he is canned. I try to convince them that Dorsey is a smart guy, with a proven track record, he wouldn't put himself into a horrible situation like that (taking GM job with a bad HC who's likely to be fired soon).

If Hue doesn't lead the team to improvements all over the field this year he is gone-zo.

32 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Dorsey IS a smart guy. But Hue is a horrible coach. There is no way getting around that. He'll be touted as a savior if the Browns win games but it will all be smoke and mirrors. He'll eventually be exposed for how bad of a HC he is truly is. 

Source tells King Browns will take Josh Allen

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/374942/source-tells-king-browns-will-take-josh-allen?ls=roto:CLG:topheadlines

MMQB's Peter King was told by a "friend of Cleveland GM John Dorsey" the Browns will select Wyoming QB Josh Allen with the No. 1 overall pick.

The Browns have been strongly linked with USC's Sam Darnold at No. 1, but it appears as if that is not a done deal. The "friend" also expects Cleveland to stay at No. 4 overall and select Penn State RB Saquon Barkley, assuming he is not taken by the Giants at No. 2. Of course, making any declarations about draft intentions at the beginning of April is something of a fool's errand. With at least a couple quarterback-needy teams who could move up, the top of the draft could look dramatically different in a couple weeks.
Source: MMQB
Apr 2 - 9:15 AM

Yeah I'm sure Dorsey and the rest of the Cleveland F.O. are out there telling people who they are picking at #1. :rolleyes:

Especially someone who is going to immediately whisper in Peter King's ear.  LOL

I woould say it's a smokescreen, but the #1 pick doesn't need to blow smoke (unless, in this case, they feel it will influence who is available at #4). 

Friend of mine was in FL on spring break with his daughter, turns out they were at a hotel with some of the NFL teams, and he and a friend ran into Dorsey, sat and talked with him over a drink at the bar. Dorsey said

Darnold was the safe bet, but fumbles a lot but can be taught to hold the ball with two hands instead of one

Mayfield, love his grit and love for the game and high completion percent but concerned about height a bit

Allen, like him a lot but was having trouble getting over his completion percent in college and high school….never over 60% which is not good, but Jordan Palmer said he fixed him but changing his footwork?

18 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

Friend of mine was in FL on spring break with his daughter, turns out they were at a hotel with some of the NFL teams, and he and a friend ran into Dorsey, sat and talked with him over a drink at the bar. Dorsey said

Darnold was the safe bet, but fumbles a lot but can be taught to hold the ball with two hands instead of one

Mayfield, love his grit and love for the game and high completion percent but concerned about height a bit

Allen, like him a lot but was having trouble getting over his completion percent in college and high school….never over 60% which is not good, but Jordan Palmer said he fixed him but changing his footwork?

Really?  I seriously doubt an NFL GM is going to shoot the poo with some random and give that much info.

17 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

SS2.JPG

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, darin3 said:

Really?  I seriously doubt an NFL GM is going to shoot the poo with some random and give that much info.

Well this guy is a salesman, and does like to tell a good story about the people he meets while out on the road, so there could be some writer's embellishment.

He said they were at the pool, Dorsey walked by, and they followed him. I had send him a text about the talk regarding Kessler being traded, and he said Dorsey was on the phone trying to make that trade. Then they talked more, his friend kept saying "Stop bugging him, he won't answer your questions" and Dorsey said, "no I'll talk, what do you want to know?" 

He asked Dorsey about OBJ and basically got a "no thanks, guys all about himself not the game". He said Dorsey was dressed casual, shorts flip flops Browns hat, all the other GM types were in suit and he may have felt comfortable with a couple regular guys.

Could just be some big story telling.

On 3/14/2018 at 2:57 PM, Gourdeau said:

I'm curious what Browns fans want, QB at 1 then Chubb at 4 or Barkley at 1 and whichever QB left at 4 OR QB at 1 then trade the 4th to Buffalo for their later 1sts.. I feel lile now that Hyde has Signed in Cleveland it would be such a browns move to draft Barkley but they'd be smarter to take the QB they want then Chubb at 4 , A DE can give u much longer return on investment than a rb who if you're lucky you're gonna get 6 quality seasons 

as much as i like hyde, i am starting to see that signing as a mistake (unless they decide to trade him).  seems like barkley could be a generational rb.  grab him with your 1st and go qb with the 4th.

9 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

as much as i like hyde, i am starting to see that signing as a mistake (unless they decide to trade him).  seems like barkley could be a generational rb.  grab him with your 1st and go qb with the 4th.

QB at 1 is nearly certain, get their choice of guy. I think they go defense (Chubb, Fitzpatrick, Ward) at 1.04 not Barkley.

The Browns did not sign Hyde with the plan to trade him, he's their starting RB. I have a feeling Dorsey doesn't see Barkley as that elite of a RB talent, or RB worthy of being drafted that high.

33 minutes ago, stevegrab said:

QB at 1 is nearly certain, get their choice of guy. I think they go defense (Chubb, Fitzpatrick, Ward) at 1.04 not Barkley.

The Browns did not sign Hyde with the plan to trade him, he's their starting RB. I have a feeling Dorsey doesn't see Barkley as that elite of a RB talent, or RB worthy of being drafted that high.

they still have many options.  is this the direction you would choose for them? I tend to believe that the highly ranked qbs are a hugh gamble (so many factors that can determine success/failure), with a higher price tag than other positions.

48 minutes ago, Bier Meister said:

they still have many options.  is this the direction you would choose for them? I tend to believe that the highly ranked qbs are a hugh gamble (so many factors that can determine success/failure), with a higher price tag than other positions.

I don't follow college football nor am I very good at making draft predictions, I trust the current FO to get it right. They're smart and have shown good signs so far acquring guys like Taylor, Landry, Hyde, some defenders too, while getting rid of some questions marks that we didn't need hanging on us (Kizer, Kessler were 2).

I still think if there is a clear cut QB they prefer over the others, take them at 1. If any of the top 4 will do, take BPA at 1 and get the QB at 4. I was thinking Barkley made sense until they signed Hyde. Now I think defense makes more sense, I've heard a few people talking about how a DL of Chubb/Garrett/Ogbah would scare opposing offenses.

i think they have had an excellent offseason.  so, where do you think they are on the win now vs groom new regime continuum?  i prefer the upside of barkley/best qb at 4 vs TT/hyde plus whatever combination they now choose (especially if they go qb with the #1)....assuming they will be grooming a qb either way.

I don't think the Browns are in a win now mode, but a win some games now mode, and build for a .500 or better season in 2019. I am hearing some talk that when they were trying to convince Joe Thomas to stay they said they thought they could have a playoff team in 2-3 years. He wanted to stay and keep playing, but his body is not up for it.

I don't think Dorsey and others expect a bad year and Hue to be fired. They're here to stay, and Dorsey is far from done making moves.

• 4 months later...
On 3/10/2018 at 11:11 AM, jamesplante11 said:

Rumor has it Corey Coleman’s name might be next. I would be ok with that if they grabbed a Watkins or a Robinson. Looks like Dorsey is getting rid of the Sashi players while they still have value vs wait until they just need to released

Coleman was just traded to Buffalo.

Edited by Big John

• 2 months later...