[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Carlos Hyde signs with the Chiefs

michaelredd9

Carlos Hyde joins the Chiefs

Posted by Mike Florio on March 9, 2019, 3:59 PM EST

One day, he was a member of a 2017 AFC finalist. The next, he’s a member of a 2018 AFC finalist.

Running back Carlos Hyde has signed a one-year, $2.8 million deal with the Chiefs, according to Adam Schefter of ESPN.com.

A second-round pick of the 49ers in 2014, Hyde signed a free-agent deal with the Browns last March. Traded to the Jaguars in October, Hyde didn’t do much for Jacksonville, and the Jags opted to cut him.

Because Hyde was released, his departure won’t count toward potential compensatory draft picks for 2020.

In Kansas City, Hyde joins a depth chart that includes Damien Williams, Spencer Ware, Charcandrick West, and Darrel Williams. The Chiefs previously had Kareem Huntunder contract, but the 2017 rushing champ was dumped on the same day a video emerged of Hunt shoving and kicking a woman last February in Cleveland. Hunt has since signed with the Browns.

At this point, looks like KC backfield is going to be messy for now. The offense prefers the single back but not sure that exists on the roster so much. And what if they spend a high draft pick on an RB?

27 minutes ago, DMD said:

At this point, looks like KC backfield is going to be messy for now. The offense prefers the single back but not sure that exists on the roster so much. And what if they spend a high draft pick on an RB?

It's messy but I'm not going to ignore it.  Andy Reid has a track record of producing elite fantasy backs.  And this is Reid's most explosive offense of his coaching career (literally the most explosive offense in the history of the NFL).  It could potentially produce 2 elite running backs a la New Orleans.  I won't be spending a high draft pick but I'll gladly draft the backup whether that is Williams or Hyde.  Or maybe use my 5th and 6th round picks on both if no starter has been declared.

11 hours ago, purplemonster said:

I still think Williams is the back to own. Hyde didn't do much last year.  I would def draft him as a handcuff though if I could.  I have no idea if this is right, just my impression

agree here...still think williams is the guy best suited for a lead role in that offense......but hyde would def be worth a late round pick ala yeldon or conner(or any other handcuff i guess) last year

1 hour ago, forever in debt to mo lewis said:

agree here...still think williams is the guy best suited for a lead role in that offense......but hyde would def be worth a late round pick ala yeldon or conner(or any other handcuff i guess) last year

Agree, I like Williams as well. In that offense though Hyde should be a real nice complimentary back. He'll have some good opportunities there. 

Interestingly, Damien Williams and Carlos Hyde are getting paid almost exactly the same in 2019 with their new contracts (Williams signed in December).  Both are guaranteed $1.6 million.  Williams will make $2.74 million in 2019.  Hyde will make $2.8 million in 2019.

Edited by michaelredd9

On 3/9/2019 at 7:29 PM, purplemonster said:

I still think Williams is the back to own. Hyde didn't do much last year.  I would def draft him as a handcuff though if I could.  I have no idea if this is right, just my impression

Agree. 

Williams scored 10 times in his last six games including the playoffs. KC trusts him in the red zone.

Hyde may have not done much for the Jags but as the primary ball carrier in CLE, 6 games with 5 starts

114 carries 382yds, 5TD, but with only 6 receptions not a factor there. Williams will be lead back, Hyde a good 2nd option. 

I don't think we'll see 2 elite backs from KC. You need more special talent at RB to do that.

• 5 months later...