[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Why Culpepper is not the 2nd best QB in the league

kcmast

Joey Harrington sucks donkey balls. CPepp is a very good QB. He's a better passer than McNabb. His flaws are: He holds the ball WAAY too long and stays in the pocket too much for someone with his mobility. He takes alot of sacks that are HIS fault. He seems to have trouble sensing the pressure. He could possibly be the most talented QB in the league. I would actually like to see a different style offense from the Vikes instead of their "all or nothing" passing game.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once again, I didn't bring Harrington into the discussion, others did.  I called out Culpepper, and everyone who knows I'm a huge Lions fan countered with "Culpepper rules, it's Harrington who sucks!"  I'm merely repsonding.

Bullpuckey.  Randall Cunningham and Jeff George each lit up the league with the EXACT same talent.  Moss, Cris Carter (who, it's well known, helped C-Pep make reads at the line), Robert Smith, Todd Stuessie, Matt Birk, all those guys were there from the start.

Again, 67-year-old Randall Cunningham had an MVP season with the same talent, and Jeff George did just as well, again with the exact same talent.  So, unless those two are your two elite standard bearers of quarterbacking, you're wrong.

Yes, it is.

Peace

policy

642391[/snapback]

Both Jeff George and Randall Cunningham are way better QB's than Harrington will most likely ever be. B) There goes that argument. :D

Anywho, I can see why you don't like Culpepper, but calling him overrated is irrational. Don't like the guy because he's a Viking and your a Lions fan, that's cool, but you have yet to give me one decent reason as to why he could be considered overrated, other than the fact that it's your opinion.

I don't know how you can call the QB of one of the highest scoring teams in the last several years overrated, blame that on the talent around him, but then blame the fact that they haven't won anything on him again, and not the horrendous defense they've sported over the same time period.

So in Policyvote logic, Cpep put up stats because he had a great cast (which we've already proven wasn't the case), but was soley responsible for their lack of winning important games, even though their defense was terrible. OK. :D

Joey Harrington sucks donkey balls.  CPepp is a very good QB.  He's a better passer than McNabb.  His flaws are:  He holds the ball WAAY too long and stays in the pocket too much for someone with his mobility. He takes alot of sacks that are HIS fault.  He seems to have trouble sensing the pressure.  He could possibly be the most talented QB in the league.  I would actually like to see a different style offense from the Vikes instead of their "all or nothing" passing game.

642437[/snapback]

While I agree with your assessment of Cpep and Harrington, you might find this interesting:

The Vikes were 18th in the league in rushing attempts with 387, and 8th in the league in passing attempts, with 552, so it's not as one-sided as you seem to think.

Both Jeff George and Randall Cunningham are way better QB's than Harrington will most likely ever be. B) There goes that argument. :D

?? Where goes what argument? You say Minnesota wasn't anything special before C-Pep, but that's not true. The two years before C-Pep took over the reigns, Randall Cunningham and Jeff George took the EXACT SAME SUPPORTING CAST and did EXACTLY AS WELL. Harrington has nothing to do with any of that.

Anywho, I can see why you don't like Culpepper, but calling him overrated is irrational. Don't like the guy because he's a Viking and your a Lions fan, that's cool, but you have yet to give me one decent reason as to why he could be considered overrated, other than the fact that it's your opinion.

Again:

* he doesn't protect the football--he throws way too many picks and fumbles way too often. Plus, he seems to have a knack for doing it at the worst possible time

* He puts up phenomenal stats, and everyone rides him to FF championships, but most of the time he doesn't run the offense well. He may hook up with Moss at any time, from anywhere on the field, but on third down they can't count on C-Pep.

I don't know how you can call the QB of one of the highest scoring teams in the last several years overrated, blame that on the talent around him

How can you do that? The Vikes have FOUR running backs that could start on nearly any other team in the league. They've got Moss, Burleson, and Robinson, which as a threesome has to be considered a top-5 WR unit. Before that he had Moss, Carter, and Reed, which was definitely the best unit in the game. The OL has been at least solid and often excellent.

but then blame the fact that they haven't won anything on him again, and not the horrendous defense they've sported over the same time period.

FOR THE FOUR HUNDRED MILLION TRILLION BILLIONTH TIME, if you really take a look at the Vikes, every year there are three or four games where the offense rolls over and die, Culpepper has a horrible game, and they lose to vastly inferior teams. Look at the Washington game, look at the Chicago game (where Culpepper threw three picks to the terrible Bears and the Vikes got steamrolled AT HOME).

So in Policyvote logic, Cpep put up stats because he had a great cast (which we've already proven wasn't the case)

Please give me tickets to the fantasy land wherein the above statement is true.

but was soley responsible for their lack of winning important games, even though their defense was terrible. OK.  :D

642444[/snapback]

FOR THE FOUR HUNDRED MILLION TRILLION BILLIONTH TIME, if you really take a look at the Vikes, every year there are three or four games where the offense rolls over and die, Culpepper has a horrible game, and they lose to vastly inferior teams. Look at the Washington game, look at the Chicago game (where Culpepper threw three picks to the terrible Bears and the Vikes got steamrolled AT HOME).

Peace

policy

I've seen 2 or 3 games with Harrington this season. I don't know if it's a big coincidence, but he never threw down field. The closest he came was a medium slant to someone, I think Tai Streets.(?) Has he been injured alot and I just happened to see those games?

642405[/snapback]

There are many deep passing plays in the playbook. Joey has looked much better when Kevin Jones is able to run the ball effectively. I don't think that's a coincidence. I agree with policy on Harrington. I was on the fence and falling the other way, but the DET/Minny game showed me alot about Harrington.

Jeff George, Randall Cunningham, Brad Johnson, and Warren Moon all put up great numbers in Minnesota. Yes, part of C-pep's numbers are thanks to the system. Just like Montana benefited from being in a great system. That doesn't mean you discount the numbers that C-pep has consistently put up. His team may not have won many big games, but that doesn't make him a poor quarterback. He is an elite QB, and he proved it again this year with over 40 combined TDs... throwing to the likes of Burleson and Marcus Robinson while Moss was out.

Look at the Washington game, look at the Chicago game (where Culpepper threw three picks to the terrible Bears and the Vikes got steamrolled AT HOME).

642545[/snapback]

Actually, the game was at Chicago.

Not that I think that Culpepper is "overrated" or a "bad" QB, but I agree with Policy that he completely bites it against inferior teams a couple times a year. The Bears and Giants games are prime examples.

That said, Mike Tice has no idea how to run an offense and that certainly doesn't help Culpepper. The sooner McCombs dumps him and his staff, the better off Daunte and the Vikes will be.

Edited by Bill Swerski

There are many deep passing plays in the playbook.  Joey has looked much better when Kevin Jones is able to run the ball effectively.  I don't think that's a coincidence.  I agree with policy on Harrington.  I was on the fence and falling the other way, but the DET/Minny game showed me alot about Harrington.

642563[/snapback]

Jones picked it up in week 10. How did Joey do from then?:

jax 11 33 121 0 1

min 12 19 91 1 1

ind 14 23 156 0 0

ari 15 27 196 1 1

gnb 5 22 47 0 0

min 25 44 361 2 2

chi 15 30 166 0 1

ten 33 49 346 2 1

144 of 242, 195 yds/gm, 13 TDs, 5 INTs [first 8 games (without healthy Jones)]

156 of 299, 186 yds/gm, 6 TDs, 7 INTs [final 8 games (with healthy Jones)]

How can you say that he improved with a healthy Jones in the lineup? :D

EDIT: Particularly when, in his last 8 games, he had four games against terrible pass defenses: MIN x2, GB and TEN.

EDIT: And the Lions were 2-6 in the last 8 games?

Edited by Furd

That said, Mike Tice has no idea how to run an offense and that certainly doesn't help Culpepper.  The sooner McCombs dumps him and his staff, the better off Daunte and the Vikes will be.

642607[/snapback]

i agree with that. he's right behind haslett as the most clueless coach in the league.

Jones picked it up in week 10.  How did Joey do from then?:

jax  11  33  121  0  1 

min  12  19    91  1  1

ind  14  23  156  0  0 

ari  15  27  196  1  1 

gnb  5  22    47    0  0 

min  25  44  361  2  2 

chi  15  30  166  0  1 

ten  33  49  346  2  1

144 of 242, 195 yds/gm, 13 TDs, 5 INTs  [first 8 games (without healthy Jones)]

156 of 299, 186 yds/gm, 6 TDs, 7 INTs  [final 8 games (with healthy Jones)]

How can you say that he improved with a healthy Jones in the lineup?  :D

EDIT:  Particularly when, in his last 8 games, he had four games against terrible pass defenses: MIN x2, GB and TEN.

EDIT: And the Lions were 2-6 in the last 8 games?

642642[/snapback]

I was wrong. I guess I was colored by the Minny game. :D

Joey Harrington sucks donkey balls.  CPepp is a very good QB.  He's a better passer than McNabb.  His flaws are:  He holds the ball WAAY too long and stays in the pocket too much for someone with his mobility. He takes alot of sacks that are HIS fault.  He seems to have trouble sensing the pressure.  He could possibly be the most talented QB in the league.  I would actually like to see a different style offense from the Vikes instead of their "all or nothing" passing game.

642437[/snapback]

I think Hitman nailed it. He's a great QB but like any other he has flaws. Also like Swerski says I think Tice may be a bad influence on the offense's flow.............

I was wrong.  I guess I was colored by the Minny game. :D

642882[/snapback]

Understandable.

Harrington is so mediocre that when he does something that an ordinary professional quarterback should be able to do (like have a good passing day against a terrible defense and run a 2 minute drill against that same defense) we get all excited here in the land of Greg Landry was our last All-Pro Quarterback.

I was going to resurrect this thread but someone beat me to it.    Where is KCMast when you need him?  :D

4 TD, 284 yds, 54 yards rushing.  Yep, Culpepper really is useless.

647858[/snapback]

He just can't seem to win the important games. He's not smart enough. B):D