[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Free Fantasy Advice Here - The off-season edition

In a salary cap dynasty league I have:

QB	Harrington, Joey      	46  2 yrs     QB	Maddox, Tommy          5  2 yrs     QB	McNair, Steve N        35  2 yrs     QB	Roethlisberger, Ben    41  3 yrs     RB	Droughns, Reuben      	39  2 yrs     RB	Gordon, Lamar          3  2 yrs     RB	Stecker, Aaron        	18  2 yrs     RB	Fargas, Justin        	12  2 yrs     RB	Jones, Greg            17  3 yrs     RB	Wheatley, Tyrone      	14  Final Yr      RB	Bennett, Michael      	16  Final Yr     RB	Martin, Curtis        	58  Open     WR	Wade, Bobby            11  2 yrs     WR	Houshmandzadeh, T.J.  	25  2 yrs     WR	Robinson, Marcus      	27  2 yrs     WR	Lee, Charles          	9  2 yrs     WR	Givens, David          21  Final Yr     WR	Coles, Laveranues      22  Final Yr     WR	Horn, Joe              42  Final Yr      WR	Smith, Steve          	47  Open     TE	Jones, Freddie        	11  2 yrs     TE	Stevens, Jerramy      	11  2 yrs     PK	Andersen, Morten      	5  2 yrs     

Third column is the salary obligation, total salary of my roster = $535. Last column is the years left in that player's contract. "Open" means that player is an unrestricted free agent and I must either franchise that player or cut him.

Fairly standard performance league with a unique flex lineup:

2RB/3WR/1TE

2RB/2WR/2TE

1RB/3WR/2TE

1RB/4WR/1TE

Salary cap was drastically reduced this year and is $400 and we are required to carry 20 players (with a minimum salary of $1). Which means I have some serious cutting to do.

FIRST QUESTION I must cut one of Curtis Martin (58) or Steve Smith (47). Which one do I cut?

SECOND QUESTION What other cuts do you make to get down to $400.

Hugh,

I am in a 12 team league with 2 keepers, which need to be disclosed 1 week prior to our draft (which is usually the week before the regualar season opens). Keepers cannot be kept in 2 consecutive years so there are always a mix of great keepers and great players having to be thrown back in (as well as people with awful keepers).

For my 2 keepers, I have the following to chose from:

Cullpepper

T. Bell

C. Brown

J. Walker

Michael Clayton

Roy Williams

If I could depend on Brown, I would go with Cullpepper and Brown, but I can't.

I am not picking until 1.12 (then 1.13/2.1), and with the value on RBs, I would rather not keep a QB and WR (Pepp and Walker).

Obviously, training camp, position battles, and coaches comments will help closer to the draft (like Bell).

Any thoughts at this point would be helpful.

Thx

Hugh,

I am in a 12 team league with 2 keepers, which need to be disclosed 1 week prior to our draft (which is usually the week before the regualar season opens).  Keepers cannot be kept in 2 consecutive years so there are always a mix of great keepers and great players having to be thrown back in (as well as people with awful keepers).

For my 2 keepers, I have the following to chose from:

Cullpepper

T. Bell

C. Brown

J. Walker

Michael Clayton

Roy Williams

If I could depend on Brown, I would go with Cullpepper and Brown, but I can't.

I am not picking until 1.12 (then 1.13/2.1), and with the value on RBs, I would rather not keep a QB and WR (Pepp and Walker).

Obviously, training camp, position battles, and coaches comments will help closer to the draft (like Bell).

Any thoughts at this point would be helpful.

Thx

828796[/snapback]

I think your line of thinking is right on the money. You'll really have to wait and see on several fronts though. If Tennessee signs Henry or another back, then Brown's value sinks like the titanic, if they don't even with the injury histroy, he might be worth a shot. He's good when he's healthy, and if they don't sign anyone he will get a lot of carries. Gotta wait and see with Bell as well, if he becomes the clear starter, he's got a lot of upside. If it's RBBC, he's not a great option. If Bell becomes the starter, and Brown is the clear feature back, I MIGHT even consider Brown and Bell over Cpep. I think Cpep's numbers are going to take a hit without Moss. He's probably still the #3 QB, but with RB's at a premium, I'd have to think about maybe not keeping him.

T Bell or S Jackson in a keeper. Leaning torwards Bell since I think Faulk will vulture carries plus Martz is a pass happy moran. Thoughts? Thanks Hugh.

828826[/snapback]

If I had to make the call today, I might venture to say Jackson, with the uncertainties surrounding Bell. Faulk's done, but you're right about Martz. But remember, Faulk had decent production with dum-dum at the helm, so I wouldn't let that bother me too much.

Hugh :D That little one looks just like his daddy. :D

Hey here's a question for ya...well two actually.

Who are your best bets as far as Rookie RB's this year and Rookie WR's. Who will get handed and tossed the rock the most?

How many Huddlers have to gather before a Hugh One would show up to impart such wisdom in person?  :D

828313[/snapback]

:D Good one :D

Hey Hugh. I'm in a pretty basic keeper league where you can keep three players for up to five years. However, each year you must give your keeper a 15% raise. Prices are determined by auction. Most teams in the league have a salary cap of roughly $100 to spend. Due to some stupid moves last season, I have only $92...not too big of a deal.

I'm torn on who to keep in my league. Dominick Davis and Willis MaGahee are only $6 each to keep. (Very cheap!) They are no-brainers to me. I can only keep one of the following players. Peyton Manning will cost me $33, Chad Johnson at $7, or Javon Walker at $6. I'm leaning towards keeping Manning (fair value) and maybe trying to sell CJ and Walker for extra cap dollars. However, I will get a lot of value for CJ and Walker with their costs. What do you think? Thanks for the input!!!

Hi Hugh!

Congrats on the cute baby!

I always thought you were chinese.... I don't know why?

At least now I have a face to match up with the handle!

Should I get in line now for week 1 line-ups?

Best of luck this season.

nice one crispy....lol

wdis.....

cherry garcia

or

phish food

827749[/snapback]

Is there even a ? PF!! :D

Tell me what you think of the top rookie RBs in a dynasty league (Brown, Benson, Williams, Arrington, Shelton).  Thanks

830071[/snapback]

This is how I would rank them.

Brown- the rest of the Mia rbs suck. line should improve with new oline coach.

Benson- if T Jones isn't an issue could do better than Brown. Decent line too.

Arrington- think he'll win out the job. should do well in Arizona.

Williams- Gruden and FF do not mix. Guy is notorious for rbbc or fbs on goaline.

Shelton- like him as a keeper. he definitely went to the right team, but that backfield is pretty crowded with solid backs in Foster and Davis. Btw, shouldn't Davis be retiring soon?

Anyone agree or disagree?

Does anybody ever read before they post?  Am I the only one here that realizes Hugh hasn't responded to a question in 2 full days?

831009[/snapback]

i was responding to royalwitcheese :D. figured rookie rbs is a topic worth taking a thread over for.

i was responding to royalwitcheese :D. figured rookie rbs is a topic worth taking a thread over for.

831016[/snapback]

Ah! Nice job. I guess I'm the one not reading the posts. I surveyed it to see what, if anything, Hugh was responding with and noticed he hadn't. Sorry. Carry on. By the way, I agree, rookie RBs is a topic worthy of taking over for.