[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What would you do?

Wolv

I live on a dead end street. AS of right now its unfinished - a culdesac is supposed to go in soon. The end of the street is basically in front of mine and the neighbors house.

I come home the other day and see that the neighbors 14 yr old dragged an old basketball hoop from someone's trash and placed it at the end of the street. The middle of the backboard was shattered, but he was still using it, along with a couple other kids. They were basically playing in front of my driveway, abd are practically in my front yard. No longer was there peace and quiet - kids constantly playing in the street in front of my house. It felt like an intrusion. I talked to my neighbor about it - he's the stepdad to the boy. He wasn't happy about it either, but didn't have the sack to say anything to the kid. They do not get along. The mom didn't mind it of course. The 14 year old is a problem child - always running away from home and has weekly scrapes with the law. She liked that the basketball hoop kept him close to home.

Basically this is a very dysfunctional family I live across from. I'm not fond of them, but I tolerate them. I felt this went over the boundary though. If the kid wants to play hoops, then put it in your yard. Everyone else in the neghborhood who has hoops has it in their own driveway or yard. I don't need to 'share' the experience of it. My wife didn't feel comfortable, and whatever privacy we had was totally lost with kids constantly in front of the house.

Am I oversensitive to this? Perhaps. But enough is enough. If I wanted something done, I wasn't getting help from the neighbor.

The hoop 'mysteriously' disappeared yesterday during trash pickup. Last night was peaceful bliss :D

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the problem now over because the hoop is gone?

I think you were a bit over sensitive but the fact that it was a broken backboard may have disturbed me if it could have broken more in my front yard or something.

You talked to the parents... that was the right move. They didn't want to do anything in the interest of keeping neighborly relations, so you did what you had to do in order to provide for your own peace of mind at your home.

If it happens to come up again, then perhaps more drastic action would be necessary... but until then I think you've done fine, and I wouldn't ever bring it up to them again unless they have the audacity to confront you with the 'mysterious' events.

I was going to suggest calling Vito to make the problem go away but you seem to have take care of it.

On a related note, my neighbor's kids play with the hoop next to our driveway so I have dings in the jeep because of them. I just asked very nicely for him to move it. No problems. I like Rick, he gives me crabs in the summer time.

THE KIND YOU EAT foul minded huddlers, he sells seafood.

I think you were a bit over sensitive but the fact that it was a broken backboard may have disturbed me if it could have broken more in my front yard or something.

1431451[/snapback]

The problem is the parents don't watch the kids. They let them outside on their own to entertain themselves. This includes a 6 and 4 year old. Of course the 14 year old can take care of himself, but he musn't be doing a very good job if he's always in trouble with the law.

Basically it came down to the parents letting him use it cuz it was a tool to keep him busy and near home, once again taking the easy way out from 'parenting'. While that may work for them, its an issue for me, especially when it involves my home, family, and peace of mind.

You seemed to have handled it well. Not knowing all the specifics of you / your relationship with the neighbors / your area / your financial situation, I'd like to throw something off the wall out there...

Buy a moderately priced basketball hoop, place it at the end of the street where it will not be an intrusion, tell the young guy he can use it anytime he wants (within reason) as long as he doesn't abuse it. Sometimes kids just need a little push in the right direction, no matter where it comes from.

I like Rick, he gives me crabs in the summer time. 

THE KIND YOU EAT foul minded huddlers, he sells seafood.

1431460[/snapback]

So the other crabs you get come from the circus midgets?

You seemed to have handled it well.  Not knowing all the specifics of you / your relationship with the neighbors / your area / your financial situation, I'd like to throw something off the wall out there...

Buy a moderately priced basketball hoop, place it at the end of the street where it will not be an intrusion, tell the young guy he can use it anytime he wants (within reason) as long as he doesn't abuse it.  Sometimes kids just need a little push in the right direction, no matter where it comes from.

1431477[/snapback]

You're a liberal, right.

So the other crabs you get come from the circus midgets?

1431481[/snapback]

I've given up on my dreams of world domination via cybernetic midgets. A simple door knob being too high will render them useless.

My new plan is to empower all worms in the world with super strength and blood lust so they can eat people’s brains.

Edited by cliaz

I've given up on my dreams of world domination via cybernetic midgets.  A simple door knob being too high will render them useless. 

My new plan is to empower all worms in the world with super strength and blood lust so they can eat people’s brains.

1431493[/snapback]

simpsons didit

sodomize their cat, that'll teach'em

1431478[/snapback]

No cat. They have a rottweiler tho :D

You seemed to have handled it well.  Not knowing all the specifics of you / your relationship with the neighbors / your area / your financial situation, I'd like to throw something off the wall out there...

Buy a moderately priced basketball hoop, place it at the end of the street where it will not be an intrusion, tell the young guy he can use it anytime he wants (within reason) as long as he doesn't abuse it.  Sometimes kids just need a little push in the right direction, no matter where it comes from.

1431477[/snapback]

Thats certainly the admirable thing. Unfortunately, until the culdesac gets built, there's no unobtrusive place for the hoop. I have been thinking about taking him fishing tho....

1431477[/snapback]

Very generous, but no way in hell that I would involve myself with that trainwreck.

No cat. They have a rottweiler tho  :D

1431502[/snapback]

If you're balzy enough, I am sure they'd stear clear of you from that point forth.

Thats certainly the admirable thing. Unfortunately, until the culdesac gets built, there's no unobtrusive place for the hoop. I have been thinking about taking him fishing tho....

1431502[/snapback]

That would be really really cool :D

Good for you

1431477[/snapback]

:D