[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Eating in HS

Guest Sores

I had a friend in High School that worked at Tom's Drive In (think In and Out Burger with a more varied menu) in Appleton, Wisconsin.

He was a manager and would feed us all like crazy....He used to make me HUGE bags of fried cheese curds....triple double cheeseburgers - catsup only...no charge. All the soda we could drink....After football practice we would go to the Captain's Steak Joint and get a "boatload" of fried onion "strings" (intended to feed a family - two of us would share one). When we didn't go to the Captain's, we would go to JD's Drive in - another burger/fry heaven right next to our high school...after eating all this, we would head for home where all our Mom's had dinner ready for us....

I was thin...I was in great shape...maybe it was the diet. :D

I had a friend in High School that worked at Tom's Drive In (think In and Out Burger with a more varied menu) in Appleton, Wisconsin. 

He was a manager and would feed us all like crazy....He used to make me HUGE bags of fried cheese curds....triple double cheeseburgers - catsup only...no charge.  All the soda we could drink....After football practice we would go to the Captain's Steak Joint and get a "boatload" of fried onion "strings" (intended to feed a family - two of us would share one).  When we didn't go to the Captain's, we would go to JD's Drive in - another burger/fry heaven right next to our high school...after eating all this, we would head for home where all our Mom's had dinner ready for us....

I was thin...I was in great shape...maybe it was the diet.  :D

1322424[/snapback]

They had it spelled "Joynt".

ummmmmmmmmm

fried cheese curds.

they're good microwaved too.

1322433[/snapback]

Those things are so darn good. Several times while visiting family in Chicagoland, we'd head up to one of my uncle's vacation homes in Door County, WI. There was this little bar on one of the highways called The Hitchin' Post that had cheap beers and fried cheese curds. Man, those were good. My uncle had someone FedEx me some one time, but they were the cold/unbreaded variety. :D Anyone know how I could get my mitts on some of those breaded/fried ones?

Those things are so darn good.  Several times while visiting family in Chicagoland, we'd head up to one of my uncle's vacation homes in Door County, WI.  There was this little bar on one of the highways called The Hitchin' Post that had cheap beers and fried cheese curds.  Man, those were good.  My uncle had someone FedEx me some one time, but they were the cold/unbreaded variety.  :D  Anyone know how I could get my mitts on some of those breaded/fried ones?

1322439[/snapback]

Never had the pleasure of tryin these but would love to get my hands on some as well.

Those things are so darn good.  Several times while visiting family in Chicagoland, we'd head up to one of my uncle's vacation homes in Door County, WI. 

1322439[/snapback]

Door County is invaded with Illinois license plates. :D

edit: Available here: http://www.krollsrestaurant.com/catalog/de...php?cPath=21_23

Edited by Big John

Door County is invaded with Illinois license plates. :D

1322446[/snapback]

I am going to look into getting some shipped from Tom's. I will alert everyone if I have any success.

He was a manager and would feed us all like crazy....He used to make me HUGE bags of fried cheese curds....triple double cheeseburgers - catsup only...no charge.  All the soda we could drink....After football practice we would go to the Captain's Steak Joint and get a "boatload" of fried onion "strings" (intended to feed a family - two of us would share one).  When we didn't go to the Captain's, we would go to JD's Drive in - another burger/fry heaven right next to our high school...after eating all this, we would head for home where all our Mom's had dinner ready for us....

I was thin...I was in great shape...maybe it was the diet.  :D

1322424[/snapback]

Yeah, THAT sounds healthy!! :D

I know what you mean, though, about the good old days. My friends and I hung out at the local A&W root beer stand when I was growing up in Peoria, Illinois. Syrupy root beer and wonderful greasy food. I've probably got a few plaques in my arteries from those days! :D

I am going to look into getting some shipped from Tom's.  I will alert everyone if I have any success.

1322451[/snapback]

Check my edited post for aanother place: Kroll's West (Across the street from Lambeau Field)

No picture of said cheese curd  :D

I gotta see these!

1322502[/snapback]

THESE appear to be battered as opposed to breaded, but you get the general idea. BTW...cheddar is the cheese of choice.