[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Thoughts on Jeff Garcia? No nasty ones please....

Pope Flick

Here is my question/thought: every year one looks for that particular advantage. Since my league requires 2 QBs I have actually considered Garcia as a target although he is not a starter at the moment. Reason being: if he is given the starter's job at some point during the year, you will have a former Pro Bowl QB playing in more or less the same system and with the same coach that made him a pro-Bowler. Throw in an arguably better RB he had at that time, and a MUCH better receiver corps (no TO, but you cannot argue against the depth) I am considering pursuing that advantage by making him a last round pick to fill the QB requirement, just to assure he's on MY team. Because we have limited waiver moves, this is essentially saving me that move, but it represenets a HUGH gamble.

49ers homers: how much was Garcia's drop a result of Erickson taking over from Mooch?

Lions homers: I know MY opinion of Harrington, but someone keeping a closer eye on the situation would certainly have a better idea of the odds of a benching in favor of a guy who should be able to 'win now' if the Lions stumble out of the gate.

Of course, the major problem with this move (besides the gamble) is getting a QB whose bye is late enough in the season for the situation to develop.

Garcia had stud status not 2-3 seasons ago. I cannot see him failing if given the reins of the Lions O, the question is simply how likely this is to happen.

Flame away those who want to, but I hope for a few reasonable responses. :D

I think Garcia will be the starter by week 6-7. Harrington has showed very little and given the weapons he has Mooch is going to pull a quick hook if he doesn't produce. The fact that Garcia knows the system and had success with it in the past.... His last year in SF was Erickson and the team quitting. Last year in Cleve well just a sh!tty team with a bad coach and system. My 2 cents

Wasn't there some optimism surrounding Garcia last year in Cleveland?

I've never been a fan of the guy. I still don't know how he put up the stats he did those years in SF. If the Lions are smart, they will sink or swim with Harrington. . .

Edited by CaptainHook

He's done. He never had much of an arm, and whatever was left is gone now. Reports from TC indicate that Garica medium- and long-range passes are all coming up alarmingly short, and Harrington is without doubt the best QB in camp. Garcia is an insurance policy, and all the wishy-washy Mooch-speak about Garcia being a "pro bowler" being "added to the rotation" was just an attempt to light a fire under Harrington. Nobody, especially not the Lions powers-that-be, want to see Garcia take over the reins, because then Harrington HAS to be ridden out of town and you're back to Square One.

Garica will not see the field unless Harrington physically can not play.

Peace

policy

I respect Policy's opinion on Lions football more than anyones. However, I tend to disagree with him on this situation. I don't think it will take Harrington to be physically unable to perform before a switch is made. My opinion is that Harrington better have a good first two games. They are against Green Bay at home and the Bears in Soldier Field. These are two games that present a good opportunity for Harrington to excel. The bye week is next and then three much more difficult defenses follow. Carolina, Baltimore and Tampa Bay. If Harrington doesn't do well in the first two, there is a very good chance that he will perform poorly in the next three games.

There is also tremendous scrutiny from Lions fans on Harrington. Some fans have been calling for his job for over a year already. If he starts out poorly, there will be HUGH pressure from the Lions faithful to make the switch to Garcia. Even though the coach probably shouldn't bow to public pressure, I think in this case it will happen, given that Garcia was hand picked by Mooch to come in.

Given all of that, I think Garcia pretty much sucks. Even if the switch is made, I don't expect anything near a pro bowl performance out of him. I've heard the same things Policy has regarding his arm strength, etc. I think he's pretty much washed up.

So to answer your question, there is a very good chance that Garcia is starting by week 6, however I wouldn't want to rely on him as a starter for my fantasy team. Look at another team with a more stable situation that others may not find promising. I'm guessing that Warner will not be a hot property in Arizona, but given the fact that we know he is starting and he has a very good group of receivers too, I'd take a flyer on him before Garcia.

Good luck.

He's done.  He never had much of an arm, and whatever was left is gone now.  Reports from TC indicate that Garica medium- and long-range passes are all coming up alarmingly short, and Harrington is without doubt the best QB in camp.  Garcia is an insurance policy, and all the wishy-washy Mooch-speak about Garcia being a "pro bowler" being "added to the rotation" was just an attempt to light a fire under Harrington.  Nobody, especially not the Lions powers-that-be, want to see Garcia take over the reins, because then Harrington HAS to be ridden out of town and you're back to Square One.

Garica will not see the field unless Harrington physically can not play.

Peace

policy

909585[/snapback]

As a Niners fan, I hope your wrong. But as a (the?) Detroit fan, I trust you know better than I what's happening with the Lions' organization.

Edited by yo mama

I also think the Lions should sink or swim with Harrington. He will prove to be a good QB in this league. He has the talent and he has a good mindset but has been very hesitant. I think that is going to change this year.

As for Garcia, I was never a fan of his but he always performed somehow. If he becomes the starter, I would be surprised if he did horrible.

49ers fan-

to evaluate mr garcia you have to go back to the year young went down. for some time neither the niners nor young knew young's future. this is where garcia floundered a bit. once the organization/young knew what was going on.... they changed the playbook back to a right handed qb and garcia's numbers really went up. he thrived with the system and mooch. he was hand picked by walsh to do so.... i think the guy has tallent and will thrive given the opportunity... he has a lot of young talent around him.... i see good things for him.

I relied on Garcia and Owens for 3 or 4 years and they served me well. I parted ways with Garcia shortly into the last season. I like him and he is good for some short rushing td's.

But having to draft him and wait is not so great. I think he will be starting week 8 or something. If you have Manning or someone who will play for sure and their bye week is late...maybe.

It depends on who you pass up to get him. I don't think he is worth the wait or risk. I would rather take the risk as a free agent if you start to see Harrington struggle.

If he gets a chance I think he will do very well.