[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Broncos running backs

Gators

Pop quiz, hot shots.  Which Denver back am I thinking of?  Here are some hints:

• He set an NFL single-game rookie rushing record with 251 yards at N.O., the sixth-highest total in NFL history.

• Named NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year and NFL Rookie of the Year by USA Today with a Broncos rookie-rushing record 1,487 yards (sixth-highest total in NFL history).

• Ranks seventh in Broncos annals in career rushing attempts (626), seventh in rushing yards (2,808) and seventh in rushing touchdowns (24).

• Finished his two-year career at the University of Utah with the best per-game rushing average in school history (102.4 ypg.) despite not playing football in high school.

Any guesses?

912779[/snapback]

Mike Anderson

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I just remember the 25 other drops per season a little better!

912781[/snapback]

That's normal human nature. You do 99 things right and only 1 thing wrong....guess what gets remembered? :D

Mike Anderson

912786[/snapback]

Correct! And he amassed those team records in only 6 seasons with the Broncos, despite not seeing any regular season duty last year.

Add to that a career average of 4.5 yards per carry and the fact that HE HAS NEVER LOST A FUMBLE (he's fumbled 9 times in 6 years, but none were ever recovered by the DEF) and I think you can see why I think Anderson is going to be the clear cut #2 - if not #1 - Broncos' RB this year.

The only downside is injury risk. But that's also a concern with Bell, Clarett, and Griffin.

Edited by yo mama

seriously though, he can't catch very well

912793[/snapback]

I don't know about that. From what I've seen of him, I've always thought he was quite adequate. Not exceptional mind you, but adequate.

I remember Shanahan talking about Portis the year he broke out. Portis told the coach he wanted to be more involved in the passing game. Shanahan said something along the lines of, "well, that's fine, but you can't catch". . .

Edited by CaptainHook

I remember Shanahan talking about Portis the year he broke out.  Portis told the coach he wanted to be more involved in the passing game.  Shanahan said something along the lines of, "well, that's fine, but you can't catch". . .

912801[/snapback]

As Portis went along to have 33 recpts for 364 yds at an 11.0 ypc with a long of 66 yds, 3 20+ yarders, 1 40+ yarder and 2 TD's.

Not too bad for someone who can't catch :D

Edited by Big Score 1

As Portis went along to have 33 recpts for 364 yds at an 11.0 ypc with a long of 66 yds, 3 20+ yarders and 1 40+ yarder and 2 TD's :D

912807[/snapback]

for a starting running back, that's isn't so hot, IMO. I didn't say he couldn't run after the catch. I said he dropped a lot of balls. I remember him dropping several in his last game as a Bronco againt the Colts in the play-offs as well. When he catches it, no doubt, he can make a play. It's getting his hands wrapped around that ball that he struggles with.

Edited by CaptainHook

and since then he has only caught a few more passes per year and his yards and average have gone way down.

Last year he set a career high with 40 catches, but only had 235 yards.

Relax man, I'm not saying he's a bad RB. I'm just saying he doesn't have the greatest hands in the world. He really struggles in the passing game.

Edited by CaptainHook

I remember him dropping several in his last game as a Bronco againt the Colts in the play-offs as well. 

912813[/snapback]

Last year, playing for the Gawd awful Skins and their QB nightmare, Portis was the 9th best RB as far as % of targets to catches goes.

Considering a lot of those targets came from Brunell and were uncatchable, Portis ending the year ranked as the 9th best RB Targets to catches percentage wise, kinda debunks your "bad hands" label.

Again, he ain't exceptional, but he's more than adquate in the passing game.

Probably your memory of Portis in the Broncos Colts play off game, has got you thinking Portis is like that at pass catching in all his games.

LOL, no. I've seen him drop plenty of other catchable balls as well. Does anyone have a dropped balls stat that can be checked? I Googled "Portis drops", and had several matches about him dropping passes, but could not find an official statistic.

Edited by CaptainHook

Actually when I said Portis was the 9th best RB at % of Targets to Receptions in 2004, I was way off.

He was the 9th most frequently targeted RB. (My mistake :D )

His 63.5% of Receptions to Targets was right about on average for RB's in 2004.

But given who was throwing him the ball....(read Brunell / Ramsey :D ), I'm kinda surprised his % was as high as it was.

I can't find his % of Receptions to Targets when he was a Bronco.

Edited by Big Score 1

I will have to admit, I did not see Portis much last year. I need a Denver fan to come in here and talk about Portis' catching when he was with Denver though. I know I'm not making this up. . .

Edited by CaptainHook

Pop quiz, hot shots.  Which Denver back am I thinking of?  Here are some hints:

• He set an NFL single-game rookie rushing record with 251 yards at N.O., the sixth-highest total in NFL history.

• Named NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year and NFL Rookie of the Year by USA Today with a Broncos rookie-rushing record 1,487 yards (sixth-highest total in NFL history).

• Ranks seventh in Broncos annals in career rushing attempts (626), seventh in rushing yards (2,808) and seventh in rushing touchdowns (24).

• Finished his two-year career at the University of Utah with the best per-game rushing average in school history (102.4 ypg.) despite not playing football in high school.

Any guesses?

912779[/snapback]

Loaf

I like Bell to win the job but RBBC is very tough to figure out until you actually see what shanny has in mind. He has to be the worst coach to try and figure out from a fantasy perspective.

912631[/snapback]

Mike Tice?

Mike Tice?

912982[/snapback]

Tice is an idiot. To try and equate Shanahan with him is well... :D:D

How many RBs have come out of Denver?

As to Tatum, I hope he runs for his life. But in terms of my drafts, I think I'll pass and take the Marine in lower rounds.