[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Another Draft Position Question

spain

I am in a 16 team performance league. You can start 1 QB, 2 RB's, 2 WR's, 1 Flex(RB, WR, or TE), 1 TE, 1 Def, 1 K. I drew the 15th spot. The guy who has the 6th draft position wants to trade back. he offered to swap positions with me. Should I do it?

I am in a 16 team performance league.  You can start 1 QB, 2 RB's, 2 WR's, 1 Flex(RB, WR, or TE), 1 TE, 1 Def, 1 K.  I drew the 15th spot.  The guy who has the 6th draft position wants to trade back.  he offered to swap positions with me.  Should I do it?

914109[/snapback]

anytime you can get 1 stud in a 16 team league...that's the way to go IMO...

the thing is, you lose 2 very good players going back to back who might perform well, but picking at 16th just doesn't look that attractive...

it's either you get to go 6th and then 26th or you go 16th and 17th....

I think I'd go with the 6th spot...just to make sure you get the top 5 guys you want...since someone is probably taking Manning there..

I am in a 16 team performance league.  You can start 1 QB, 2 RB's, 2 WR's, 1 Flex(RB, WR, or TE), 1 TE, 1 Def, 1 K.  I drew the 15th spot.  The guy who has the 6th draft position wants to trade back.  he offered to swap positions with me.  Should I do it?

914109[/snapback]

no. it was your destiny to have the 15th spot, so you should stick with it.

I am in 16 team league. I've had good luck drafting towards the end the last couple years. This year I drew 11. Last year I had 13 and the year before that was mid round. After the 5th pick - the runningbacks are about the same. Somebody always picks Moss, Owens, Culppeper towards the end leaving me with two mediocre RBs. I have made the playoffs the last three years.

To answer your question - I would not do it.

Edited by Outshined

I would probably do it. To me, it's not so much who you would get in the first two rounds, but what position you're going to get in the third round. Might sound funny, but think of it like this.................

6th pick - Pretty much get your choice of whichever tier 2 RB you want. Then, in the 27 slot, you grab another RB ( Bell, Westbrook, or one of the rookies) OR get a top-notch WR like Holt, Harrison, or Walker.

15th pick - You're looking at Julius, Tiki, Rudi, etc. Basically, the bottom of Tier 2 RB's, but IMO not much worse than the top of Tier 2. Then, with the 18 pick, you should have your choice of WR (other than Moss and maybe Owens) OR another RB (either top of tier 3 or maybe even another tier 2 if they fall that far.

So, as an example, you're looking at Davis/Harrison vs. Rudi/Owens. Or, if you go 2 RB's, McGahee/Westbrook vs. Julius/Jordan. Not much of a difference, in my opinion.

The third round is what makes the difference, IMO. I would rather have Joe Horn or DeShaun Foster than Michael Bennett or Nate Burleson. Plus, the 38th pick I think might give you the option of getting Gates or McNabb if you want, whereas I don't see that happening with the 47th pick. I know, you will be picking that much later in the 4th round, but in a league this big, I think it's best to get as many "studs" as possible, because after the first 48 picks, it's going to be a crap-shoot anyway.

Just an opinion. Sorry my response got a little long.

Is this yer first year in a 16 teamer?

I've been in a 16 Team League for 10 years now. I've found draft position to be basically irrelevant when it comes to determining the final outcome. It really matters how you draft in the latter rounds than what you do with yer first few picks. That being said, if you can handle JJ Arrington as yer 2nd back (provided you go RB RB which is a good thing in 16 Teams), and he's not asking for anything else, move up.

I didn't mean to give the impression that I think the latter rounds are not important. I agree that they CAN make or break drafts. I just don't think guys like CuMartin, Jackson, and Jordan are all that much LESS risky than Bell, Westbrook, and Dunn (I would think at least one of those three would be available with the 27 pick.) And, I also don't think there is much difference between the four big rookies (Benson, Williams, Arrington, and Brown).

My point was just that the 6th pick in the 3rd round MIGHT give you a shot at a tier 1 QB or TE, where the 15th pick definitely will not.

With 16 teams, the odds of getting 3 or 4 starting RB's is slim, so you're pretty much looking at taking chances on backups and/or handcuffing yourself with backups of your RB's, so the most studs you can get at various positions, the better, in my opinion.

A lot of it has to do with how "deep" the RB position is this year. In previous years, the 27th pick didn't look nearly as promising, as it was mostly RB's who were in definite RBBC situations.

My point was just that the 6th pick in the 3rd round MIGHT give you a shot at a tier 1 QB or TE, where the 15th pick definitely will not.

With 16 teams, the odds of getting 3 or 4 starting RB's is slim, so you're pretty much looking at taking chances on backups and/or handcuffing yourself with backups of your RB's, so the most studs you can get at various positions, the better, in my opinion. 

914300[/snapback]

Gotta agree. If you can get one good 2nd tier RB, swoop in and get say horn in the 2nd round then Mcnabb or even Trent green (depending on your scoring system.) in the 3rd you would be in better shape.

But also agree with what is say above, the middle round 5 - 11 really make or break your team.

if it were me all things being equal (not knowing your scoring and such...) i'd trade up to the 6th.