[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Taking a QB in the first round?

Grits and Shins

Does the dominance of Manning when compared to other QB's make up for the 2nd tier RB's you'll get later?

917534[/snapback]

That is not the question you should be asking. Only the first few selections get a Tier 1 RB, and most of the rest of the first round gets tier 2.

If you truly believe that your tier 2 RBs are exactly that, then you should determine at what point selecting Manning will more likely than not bump you off of both tier 1 and tier 2. For me that is the 5th pick and earlier. It's subjective, as any other draft rankins are, but that is why I choose 6th as my first spot he is a viable pick.

Exactly how is that relevant?

917543[/snapback]

Very relevant. Where would you, oh great forum nazi, suggest those threads belonged? Your thread was clearly a Fantasy Advice question. We have an entire forum for Fantasy Advice questions.

And dude, lighten up. The :D was my indication that I was merely busting your balls, and I even went on to answer your question.

Edited by Hugh 0ne

It's all depends on how you think the likes of Curtis Martin or Lamont Jordan will do, because that's who you'll end up with alongside of Manning. If you don't go Manning, you can have a Edge or McGahee, then a little bit riskier RB, a stud WR like Chad Johnson, and still maybe end up with Bulger. That's the ticket imo.

Otherwise it's Manning, CuMar, Jordan, and then the WR's can start to fly, bu now you're looking at Joe Horn or Nate Burleson as your #1 WR.

Edited by Hugh 0ne

Does uglytuna still frequent these parts?

917555[/snapback]

UT doesn't show up until he inflates his Tom Brady doll. Should be any day now.

For the record, that's the life sized Tom Brady doll with the self lubricating bung hole.

Edited by Hugh 0ne

Fantasyjesus, i prefer your avi at full size.  :D  nice. those legs are crazy.

917572[/snapback]

:D

um...I need the secret trick on how to get to those uploads....

EDIT: :D Not anymore

EDIT: I'm practically weeping. She's the greated thing I've ever seen.

I can't see how anyone could dispute the theroy of Intelligent Design after looking at her! :D

Edited by Caveman_Nick

Maybe I'm a dinosaur but worst case scenario I go RB-WR-RB. More often than not, unless I'm drafting 1-4, I'm going RB-RB-WR. I think there is a combination of factors that make that the way I draft.

First is that 9 times out of 10 whatever QB it is someone else is willing to take them earlier than I am. There are really only 4 QBs this year that matter and maybe, just maybe 1 of them gaurantees you a playoff spot?

Second is that every year I think I see a sleeper QB or 2 that I can get whenever I want. In addition to that usually no more than 24 QBs are drafted in a 12 team league. That leaves starting QBs on the waiver wire every week to go along with the two I draft.

Finally I don't believe the hype. Manning is the best starting QB in the game right now. Manning is money in the bank. The thing is throw out last year and that money totaled 27.8. Yep going into last season Manning averaged 27.8 TDs a season with his career high being 33 passing TDs 5 seasons ago. 2001 through 2003 Manning threw for 26, 27 and 29 TDs. Then last year he threw for 20 more TD passes than the year before. 48 or more passing TD seasons come along every 20 years. You should have told me to take him with the 1st pick last year not this year. Since 1983, the QB leading the NFL in TD passes has thrown, on average 34.86 TDs. In the previous 21 years the NFL leader in TD passes has thrown for 40 or more TDs 3 times. Marino in '84 (48), Marnio in '86 (44) and Warner in '99 (41). Only one QB has done it twice and none have done it in back-to-back years. Manning sure could be the first in '05 but I'm not betting MY 1st round pick on it happening. Not when to just throw for 40 would be 5 more TD passes than the NFL leader has averaged over the last 22 years.

Club we think a lot alike. I have never played in a league where ALL TDs are 6 points and it is making me re-evaluate my position on where to take a QB. However, just because I am re-evaluating doesn't mean I will change my basic strategy which has typically been to draft QBs later in the draft.

Fantasyjesus, i prefer your avi at full size.  :D  nice. those legs are crazy.

917572[/snapback]

Oh My......... What was the topic????

That's right Manning, if your sitting 10 - 12, 6pt Passing TDs Grab him. Anything earlier then that and your oing to be chasing RBs and WRs

i don't understand why everyone is scared to take manning? he almost threw for 50 tds a game, his schedule is lighter this season, and he calls the plays at the gl, he can do whatever he wants, i wish i had first pick i'd jump manning's bones, and an added note he doesn't get hurt!! your last pick can be ramsey and not have to worry about a thing!!!

i don't understand why everyone is scared to take manning? he almost threw for 50 tds a game, his schedule is lighter this season, and he calls the plays at the gl, he can do whatever he wants, i wish i had first pick i'd jump manning's bones, and an added note he doesn't get hurt!! your last pick can be ramsey and not have to worry about a thing!!!

918849[/snapback]

If he throws for 50 tds a game, you better hope you are sitting at the first pick, cause that person will win the league hands down. Wait are we talking about the Manning playing Arena Football? :D

And speaking of hands down, you might want to take your hands out of your pockets son cause your comment about jumping manning's bones has got to be in the wrong forum (or at least in the wrong something) for sure!!!! :D:D Unless you happen to be a girl. Then it is all cool! :D

BTW, I agree with Hugh, let someone else pick up Manning, while you stockpile some better players and build a more rounded roster. You definitely can wait till the 3rd round and still have a decent QB IMO. I also don't believe he will duplicate his stats last year and the few QBs below him don't have near the same teams and players as last year (i.e. Culpepper and McNabb). :D

Added note: And you know someone is going to pick him up in the first three picks anyways, so this discussion is probably null anyways.

Edited by Lost

• 2 years later...
you saying that brady would not have been a good first round pick?

The problem is that when the draft occurred nobody knows who the top QB will be and if there will be enough distance (would take ALOT) between him and the next QB to justify an early pick.

If you took Manning early the year he broke Marino's record it may (or may not) have worked out well for you. If you took Manning early the next year (or this year) then it probably wasn't so great for you. So if you take Brady early next year there is a high probability that he will disappoint, just as Manning did the year after he threw 50 TDs.

The problem is that when the draft occurred nobody knows who the top QB will be and if there will be enough distance (would take ALOT) between him and the next QB to justify an early pick.

If you took Manning early the year he broke Marino's record it may (or may not) have worked out well for you. If you took Manning early the next year (or this year) then it probably wasn't so great for you. So if you take Brady early next year there is a high probability that he will disappoint, just as Manning did the year after he threw 50 TDs.

understand, but this season has proved that going the RB route isn't exactly a sure thing either.