[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Who do you support?

CaptainHook

Whose position do you agree with more?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Whose position do you agree with more?

• Eagles management
    • Terrell Owens

T.O. makes appearance at Falcons game

NFL.com wire reports

ATLANTA (Aug. 13, 2005) -- Terrell Owens was at a football game Aug. 13. Just not one involving the Philadelphia Eagles.

Unhappy with his contract and sent home for a week by the Eagles, Owens attended the Atlanta Falcons' preseason game against the Baltimore Ravens at the Georgia Dome.

The receiver has a home in Atlanta and plenty of time on his hands after getting kicked out of Eagles camp, the fallout from a heated dispute with coach Andy Reid. He can't return to camp until Aug. 17, but has made it clear he won't be happy without a new contract.

Philadelphia has steadfastly refused to redo the seven-year, $49 million deal that Owens signed before last season.

Owens, who was sitting four rows behind the Falcons bench, declined comment when approached by a reporter. (that must be a first)

While the Falcons desperately need a big-time receiver, team officials have said privately that there's no chance of trading for Owens.

Should TO honor his contract or should the Eagles guarantee him more money?

927027[/snapback]

On JUST the question itself, TO without a doubt. If you figure in his childish escapades then TO getting support has no chance.

I just look at it this way, if he hadn't come back heathy from his injury last year, they could have cut him and he'd get no $, that is just too unfair to support any NFL teams stance against any players contract.

I just look at it this way, if he hadn't come back heathy from his injury last year, they could have cut him and he'd get no $, that is just too unfair to support any NFL teams stance against any players contract.

927041[/snapback]

I see it from the other way. He got paid $9 million last year. If his injury had been career-ending, he would still have all that money. If he couldn't come back, he wouldn't deserve to get paid for this year.

If he plays for the Eagles NEXT year, he gets an additional $7 million on top of his salary. Everybody seems to be forgetting that. If he would have come out and performed on par with last year, there is no way the Eagles would have been able to cut him.

Edited by CaptainHook

927041[/snapback]

I hesitate to get into this but I have to point out a flaw in this thinking. Let's say tomorrow you walk into your bosses office and tell him that due to health reasons you can no longer perform any of the tasks you where hired to do. Do you expect him to keep you on and keep paying you? No. Do you feel jobed because he's paid you for everything you've done up to that day? No. There is nothing unfair about that. So why is Owens in this same hypothetical situation any different?

Also, this is a good read, and sheds some light on a couple of things.

1 - Owens showed up in camp with a personal agenda to NOT get along and cause problems. And it started DAY ONE. The final straw was him practicing separate from the team even though he told them he wasn't able to because of his groin injury. This had little or nothing to do with an autograph session.

2 - This injury waiver he's now saying "the Eagles" made him sign is a myth. The only waiver he signed was releasing HIS doctors from liability. This should be no surprise since the Owens camp continues to lie to the national media on several points, the most ridiculous being his idiot agent's claim that he's not paid in the top 10 for WRs. That's a flat out lie. His overall contract places him #4 right now and if you just look at the first three years he's #2, behind only Harrison.

Owens' agenda is obvious. He has absolutely no leverage on his contract and he and his agent know that. So all he can do is become such a huge distraction and disruption to the team and organization that they deal or release him. IMO it ain't gonna work. This is a line in the sand that the NFL and it's owners can't cross. And this line has been coming for a few years now.

This situation is of course a complete circus thanks to our media's current fixation with it. But the underlying issues, if dealt with wrongly by the Eagles, could impact this great game or ours in a more negative way than most realize. If they give in we will be looking at a MUCH different NFL in a few years. And not one I think most fans of the game would want.

I hesitate to get into this but I have to point out a flaw in this thinking.  Let's say tomorrow you walk into your bosses office and tell him that due to health reasons you can no longer perform any of the tasks you where hired to do.  Do you expect him to keep you on and keep paying you?  No.  Do you feel jobed because he's paid you for everything you've done up to that day?  No.  There is nothing unfair about that.  So why is Owens in this same hypothetical situation any different?

Also, this is a good read, and sheds some light on a couple of things.

1 - Owens showed up in camp with a personal agenda to NOT get along and cause problems.  And it started DAY ONE.  The final straw was him practicing separate from the team even though he told them he wasn't able to because of his groin injury.  This had little or nothing to do what an autograph session.

2 - This injury waiver he's now saying "the Eagles" made him sign is a myth.  The only waiver he signed was releasing HIS doctors from liability.  This should be no surprise since the Owens camp continues to lie to the national media on several points, the most ridiculous being his idiot agent's claim that he's not paid in the top 10 for WRs.  That's a flat out lie.  His overall contract places him #4 right now and if you just look at the first three years he's #2, behind only Harrison.

Owens' agenda is obvious.  He has absolutely no leverage on his contract and he and his agent know that.  So all he can do is become such a huge distraction and disruption to the team and organization that they deal or release him.  IMO it ain't gonna work.  This is a line in the sand that the NFL and it's owners can't cross.  And this line has been coming for a few years now. 

This situation is of course a complete circus thanks to our media's current fixation with it.  But the underlying issues, if dealt with wrongly by the Eagles, could impact this great game or ours in a more negative way than most realize.  If they give in we will be looking at a MUCH different NFL in a few years.  And not one I think most fans of the game would want.

927100[/snapback]

And the truth shall set you free...you may all go now. Except TO, of course. The rest of you--follow me to freedom! :D

Edited by Ruffian

Nothing would please more than to see TO sit his butt on the Eagle bench all year long stewing in his own distractions. Especially if the Eagles could find a way to substantially reduce or even elimnate his pay due to his failure to do his job, the job he agreed to just last year.

He left SF because of personal issues with Garcia and the SF coaches. He signed a new contract with Philly last season giving Reid his word that he would not be a problem. Now he wants out of Philly because personal issues with McNabb and the coaching staff.

Resorting to childish antics in an attempt to get his own way only shows what a detriment TO can be to any team.

While I am not an Eagle fan I can only imagine the irony if the Eagles benched TO all year and managed to win the superbowl.

I have said in the past that I understand the player's plight in that they are bound by the contract they sign but the owners have the complete freedom to terminate the contract at will. That does not, however, give TO and his ass for an agent to behave in whatever manner they choose because they aren't happy with the CBA the player's union agreed to.

Personally I hope TO never plays again.

Let's say tomorrow you walk into your bosses office and tell him that due to health reasons you can no longer perform any of the tasks you where hired to do.  Do you expect him to keep you on and keep paying you?  No.  Do you feel jobed because he's paid you for everything you've done up to that day?  No.  There is nothing unfair about that.  So why is Owens in this same hypothetical situation any different?

927100[/snapback]

Bingo. That's exactly the point. And us Joe Schmoes wouldn't be able to fall back on $9m to cushion the impact.

Personally I hope TO never plays again.

927198[/snapback]

I agree with you. The owners should all agree to let him rot if the Eagles release him (which they can't do financially, but what a message that would send!). If I were the Eagles, I'd tell him to keep exercising in the yard--don't come back for the next six seasons. By the time he could go free, he'd be 38 years old. Good luck with that HoF career then.

I agree with you. The owners should all agree to let him rot if the Eagles release him (which they can't do financially, but what a message that would send!). If I were the Eagles, I'd tell him to keep exercising in the yard--don't come back for the next six seasons. By the time he could go free, he'd be 38 years old. Good luck with that HoF career then.

927211[/snapback]

Yup ... that would be sweet