[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Draft Order

notamomo

My league is planning to pick our draft order immediately before we begin our draft. This, obviously, leaves very little opportunity to make any predictions about what spot we'll have or how the draft will play out. I've always known my draft position well in advance, and this is a little strange.

Has anyone done a draft like this in the past? Aside from "preparing for all possibilities," does anyone have advice about how to prepare for it? I'm aware that this could be an advantage to those of us who prepare thoroughly :D But still going to be lots of surprises this year, I think.

Thoughts? Comments?

my local has always done "draft order is unknown till right at the draft."

you just make your cheatsheet as normal and take players as they come up. of course adjusting for trends and whatnot...

Edited by loaf

Since I don't have a prescripted plan for any draft (too many surprises can occur) I follow what is happening and take who I think will help me the most in that league at that spot in the draft. If you want to prepare, try going through a few slots (doesn't need to be al of them) all around the draft board - it may be longer that selectig 1 slot at the start of the draft, but im may help.

We draft tonight in my local, and will not know the draft order until 5-10 minutes prior to the start of the draft.  I don't like it.

947667[/snapback]

That's how we do it in my local too :D

We draft tonight in my local, and will not know the draft order until 5-10 minutes prior to the start of the draft.  I don't like it.

947667[/snapback]

Same with my local. It makes the first few rounds take longer, but the anticipation before you select your spot is mind-bending. Here's to hoping I'm 6-10!! :D

I have one that is right before and one that we know long before hand. Both have their benefits.

I like knowing before hand because the drawing of draft positions is like a mini draft unto itself and can give a little taste of the season.

Another thing that we do - when a name is picked...the first person out of the hat does not pick first, but chooses where he wants to draft....the second person does the same until all spots are taken up.

we have the same problem of not know the draft order for our 12 team re-draft league, which makes me have to EXTRA preparation.

For example: The cheat sheet stays the same. It is a modified Rhino. Also, you print out the Huddle Tier Cheet sheet the day of the draft.

But with the cool schedule spread sheet that Rhino did, where you imput the players and the schedule comes out just like the EOS the Huddle uses (this is powerful sh*t), I have to do one if I pick 1-4, another for 5-8, and another for 9-12. If you are drafting 9-12, there is no way that LT, Alexander or Manning will be available, so they are not included. You still have to target players and find complements to them, and have a strategy.

Then when I find out when I pick, I fold the others and file away. This only helps through the first 5 or six rounds, after that, its drafting for value and need from the cheat sheet.

The only thing I can say is that eveybody else in your league has the same problem. It just forces you to be a little more flexible (and sober) for your draft.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the feedback and great info. I have to say that I don't like not knowing, but it does make it exciting.

Adding to the craziness, we're doing an online draft the night before the season opener.

So...I won't even know my draft slot until approx 24 hours before the season starts! Just a little anxiety here. :doah:

Are you ready for some football?!! :D

or... you can be in my local league where a week ago they sent out the draft order for tomorrows draft based on last years finish only to find out today they decided to draw for draft order tomorrow right before the draft. losers.

it is not a huge deal as i have already done a couple of drafts and have the players in my mind already, but jeez, get a plan and stick to it.