[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Panthers RB Round 2?

PantherDave

Well, I still say Foster is the starter and Davis will get 8-12 carries per game, but more than likely Coach Fox has the NFL and us included wondering-Who? Who, is toting the pill for the Panthers??? Overall, not a bad situation for Carolina, who feel they have good depth at RB. I think the Foster owners can just ride this one out until week 1. I will be shocked if Davis is te primary RB week 1-a threat, yes, but not the starting RB. However, like myself and few others have stated-"until it comes out of Fox's mouth-nothing is official."Peace PD.

the Carolina RB situation is not all the far from the Browns...who will get the rock? how many times? who's the gl back? only the first game will shed some light. steer clear unless someone falls too far for you to pass on them. Like, I've been getting S Davis in the 11th round. Not a bad choice down there. But Foster in the 3rd or 4th is overkill at this point...

PantherDave,

I hear Eric Shelton was placed on IR with a broken foot. It's being reported on Panthers Insider but I can't find confirmation anywhere else. Have you heard anything on this?

965573[/snapback]

That's a great article and thanks for the link, Shelton did bruise his kneecap Thursday night, but came back with some nice totes later in the game. This may be scoop here and will fully saturate later. Thanks for the knowledge Big Score and I'll be waiting to hear some more on this-Peace PD.

What I do know is that the Panthers will eventually settle on one back, and when they do, that back will be one of the most consistent producers in Fantasy Football.

I'm not foolish enough to rely on any of Carolina's backs as a weekly starter at this point, but if Foster and Davis fall far enough when I draft this Monday evening, I don't mind burning a couple of roster spots on them or chasing Shelton and Goings around the waiver wire. Unlike Cleveland or Minnesota, it's worth the aggravation to have the primary ballcarrier in Carolina on your roster.

I don't mind burning a couple of roster spots on them or chasing Shelton and Goings around the waiver wire. 

965708[/snapback]

I'd suggest you read all of the posts in this thread that you're commenting in. I don't think you would really want to burn a Waiver Wire pick on Shelton.

Oh! And it's now confirmed.

Panthers | Shelton Lands on IR

Sat, 3 Sep 2005 17:41:41 -0700

"Pat Yasinskas, of the Charlotte Observer, reports the Carolina Panthers have placed rookie RB Eric Shelton (foot) on their Injured Reserve list with a broken foot. He will miss the entire 2005 season."

Well, I still say Foster is the starter and Davis will get 8-12 carries per game, but more than likely Coach Fox has the NFL and us included wondering-Who? Who, is toting the pill for the Panthers??? Overall, not a bad situation for Carolina, who feel they have good depth at RB. I think the Foster owners can just ride this one out until week 1. I will be shocked if Davis is te primary RB week 1-a threat, yes, but not the starting RB. However, like myself and few others have stated-"until it comes out of Fox's mouth-nothing is official."Peace PD.

965570[/snapback]

I agree on Foster. Why wouldn't they keep an aging, coming-off-injury veteran ride the pine and stay fresh? You got a young guy in Foster, let him grind it out until he gets hurt then let Davis play. I just don't get it. You don't think they're doing this because Foster is in a contract year? Would they really not start Foster to sign him long-term next year for cheap?

I agree on Foster.  Why wouldn't they keep an aging, coming-off-injury veteran ride the pine and stay fresh?  You got a young guy in Foster, let him grind it out until he gets hurt then let Davis play.  I just don't get it.  You don't think they're doing this because Foster is in a contract year?  Would they really not start Foster to sign him long-term next year for cheap?

965776[/snapback]

Nope, they wanted to give Foster, a contract, he turned it down. He wants better moneyand is willing to gamble on staying healthy and then leverage a new contract on the FA rates.

I'd suggest you read all of the posts in this thread that you're commenting in. I don't think you would really want to burn a Waiver Wire pick on Shelton.

Oh! And it's now confirmed.

Yep. When I posted, it wasn't. Also, by "chase around the waiver wire" I meant throughout the course of the season, not immediately after the draft. Now that's one less back I need to be concerned about.

PantherDave,

When do you expect a starter to be named?

Kick-off? Opening series of week 1?

This week FOX tips his hand at a press confernce?

Just curious.

I might need S. Davis to get more than

8-10 carries in week 3 because of Lewis(Balt.) and D. Davis(Hou)- bye weeks.

I know, I know a weak #4 RB....couldn't be helped it was an auction draft.

PD,

Have you been over at the website today? They have the depth chart up......pretty interesting to say the least! The total roster has been updated today, but I'm not sure the date on the depth chart. I will say most team websites have refrained from putting up a depth chart until this weekend.

1 - Foster, 2 - Goings, 3 - Rod Smart

Hoover the FB......and no mention of Davis. :D

Davis is on the roster.....but not the depth chart....and Shelton is indeed on IR.

Edited by SteelBunz

dkf's post says alot. foster is totally banking on himself this yr. you got to like that about the guy at a minimum. i also wouldn't be surprised if davis started though. not that i think that he will outplay foster, might just be a token jesture by fox. we'll see next sunday. i'm pretty sure i'm going to take the chance in fusion, 32 homers, and the doh league and start foster. call me crazy :D. i like to gamble.

What I do know is that the Panthers will eventually settle on one back, and when they do, that back will be one of the most consistent producers in Fantasy Football.

I'm not foolish enough to rely on any of Carolina's backs as a weekly starter at this point, but if Foster and Davis fall far enough when I draft this Monday evening, I don't mind burning a couple of roster spots on them or chasing Shelton and Goings around the waiver wire.  Unlike Cleveland or Minnesota, it's worth the aggravation to have the primary ballcarrier in Carolina on your roster.

965708[/snapback]

well, i definitely disagree about one thing. the tailback spot in minnesota has been a pretty productive one, and if you can nail down the starter there you're in good shape. it's at least as good a dream to chase as carolina, IMO.

I don't think Fox will announce a starter to the general public, and we will know either pregame next Sunday or the dreaded GTD. I still think Foster will start, or get the majority of carries if SD does start. I see SD getting 8-10 totes vs NO, and getting 8-12 totes the majority of the season? My feeling is we'll find out on Sunday morning during pregame, but the real key in all this the O line who have played very well in the PS, and the feeling going in is this group will be solid and steady-a plus for whoever totes the pill for the Cats. Peace PD.

I would be shocked if S.Davis gets more the the 5-8 carries many of you have predicted here. Why bother pushing him early as he can get stronger as the year rolls and Foster will provide plenty of early burst.

I see him in 2nd round situations and some 1st down running opportunities. I think he is generally a better pass coverage/blocker then Foster as well but I see Foster getting more 3rd down opportunities as he can catch the ball well and is faster to the outside then Davis is.

I see a similar situation as the Rams RBBC where Davis is Faulk and Foster is SJax. Obviously not as talented though.

PD,

Have you been over at the website today?  They have the depth chart up......pretty interesting to say the least!  The total roster has been updated today, but I'm not sure the date on the depth chart.  I will say most team websites have refrained from putting up a depth chart until this weekend.

1 - Foster, 2 - Goings, 3 - Rod Smart

Hoover the FB......and no mention of Davis. :D

Davis is on the roster.....but not the depth chart....and Shelton is indeed on IR.

965955[/snapback]

What's evident thus far is that neither Foster nor Davis can stay healthy for an extended period of time. Goings played rather well in relief last year and I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes the featured back later in the season.

What's evident thus far is that neither Foster nor Davis can stay healthy for an extended period of time.

966799[/snapback]

I've always liked Foster's skill set, ever since he came out of College. For the first time since he's been in the NFL, he dropped far enough in my local draft for me to feel comfortable picking him.....injury risk / Stephen Davis et al.
Goings played rather well in relief last year and I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes the featured back later in the season.

966799[/snapback]

That would be my worst nightmare.

I've always liked Foster's skill set, ever since he came out of College. For the first time since he's been in the NFL, he dropped far enough in my local draft for me to feel comfortable picking him.....injury risk / Stephen Davis et al.

966831[/snapback]

He is a very versatile back. And a very effective one when healthy.