[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jerry Rice to retire?

Ruffian

For me, if Rice retires now, he won't ride off into the sunset. He walks away crying. He let Denver use a spot on their roster to keep him, but then whines about it when he is demoted. He is straight up telling Shanny, "If you don't put me at WR3, then I quit." Good riddence, you prima donna. Did you think Denver left a roster spot for your on-field talent, or for your mentorship? Your 42 friggin years old! Great career? No doubt. He was the best. But to retire because you get demoted - crybaby!

Pretty much every commentator that I heard talking about this did not expect Jerry Rice to make 3rd receiver. So unless he was kind of jerking the broncos around, hoping to beat the odds and make it on the field in the slot, then he should either accept what is going on, or admit that he kind of lead the Broncos on about wanting to play in a spot he could realistically get.

@ dirty weasel:

your calling Rice a crybaby is one, if not the, most idiotic things to say.

Broncos exactly, to be honest overexactly, knew what they bargained for. IF Rice wanted the 3spot to put up with another year of physical punishment for your (ok, our) entertainment, it would have been in the contract.

Now, 2 possibilities:

it IS in the contract and they are breaking that agreement now, shame on broncos.

it is NOT in the contract, then he didnt insist on it anyways, and would not do so now.

dont treat this guy like your next TO or something, he does not deserve that.

imo, i could even imagine that upon denvers note he took of to SF to check if the 49ers maybe changed their mind on his last season possibly there.

folks, this guy played in the NFL already when many of you guys didnt even have been thought of. and he played well, that i can say.

Please don't give me the poor Denver routine. Shanny is nothing if he isn't smart--and bringing Rice in costs them next to nothing. It was a calcualted gamble that didn't pay, and Shanny knew the deal before he ever signed him and was fine with cutting Rice if he couldn't be productive. If there is a kid that Rice is keeping off of the roster--they can go get him once he clears waivers--or better still, maybe find a vet who might be a contributor sooner rather than later. BELIEVE ME, Denver is taking care of Denver. As they should, by the way. But I don't buy the idea that Denver is suddenly in a bind because they are cutting to 53 and may have to cut Jerry Rice.

Rice going to SF means he's exploring his option to get a one day contract to retire. Nolan spoke to Rice before the season and offered him that, but Rice wanted to be on the team as a starter. Nolan wouldn't let that happen and flatly wanted to play and develop his new talent. The niner organization didn't make a big issue on this because its bad pub doing anything negative to a niner great and Rice went public during a local interview saying he thought he could play till he was 46. People forget that the winning management of Policy/Walsh let Montana, Lott and Craig go a few years before their careers were done.

Rice after he was cut by the Raiders used his last 'buddy' favors from his former coaches in Holmgren and now in Shanny. Both those guys probably love Rice like a friend, but also with good friends its just hard to tell him to hang up the cleats.

Rice had one of the best pro careers imagineable and in a few years these minor attempts to hold on to his past will be forgotten. His issue with not retiring was the same thing that made him the best. He always told himself he could do better, never quit, and hard work would pay off.

For me, if Rice retires now, he won't ride off into the sunset.  He walks away crying.  He let Denver use a spot on their roster to keep him, but then whines about it when he is demoted.  He is straight up telling Shanny, "If you don't put me at WR3, then I quit."  Good riddence, you prima donna.  Did you think Denver left a roster spot for your on-field talent, or for your mentorship?  Your 42 friggin years old!  Great career?  No doubt.  He was the best.  But to retire because you get demoted - crybaby!

966677[/snapback]

So, I take it you don't have a Jerry Rice poster on your wall? :D

For me, if Rice retires now, he won't ride off into the sunset.  He walks away crying.  He let Denver use a spot on their roster to keep him, but then whines about it when he is demoted.  He is straight up telling Shanny, "If you don't put me at WR3, then I quit."  Good riddence, you prima donna.  Did you think Denver left a roster spot for your on-field talent, or for your mentorship?  Your 42 friggin years old!  Great career?  No doubt.  He was the best.  But to retire because you get demoted - crybaby!

966677[/snapback]

Why is he a crybaby? His agent simply said that Jerry's goal was to retire no less than a number 3 WR. How is that whining? If this is how you feel about Rice (prima donna?) how do you feel about T.O. and others?