[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Chiefs monster rushing game results in...

cre8tiff

Boy,

Watching the Chiefs games remind me a lot of Schottenhiemer's days of the run attack with Okoye, and not much passing. Of course they had DeBerg as a QB so who blames them :D

Think other teams will start stacking the box and opening up receivers, or does the air attack stay subdued all season??

Aren't they stacking it already?

1008000[/snapback]

I would think so, but neither Gonzo or the WRs seem to be getting free. I would expect that is because they are covering with the back instead of stacking... I could be wrong, these old eyes aren't what they used to be.

Interesting stat for this week's MNF game for Trent Green.

2004 - Week 3 v. HOU

21/30, 224yds, 3 td, 1int

2003 - Week 3 v. HOU

16/28, 262yds, 1td, 2int

2002 - Week 3 v. NE

16/25, 149yds, 3td, 2int

2001 - Week 3 v. WAS

21/26, 307yds, 3td, 0int

He typically does not put up great stats the first couple games of the year but game 3 has been decent in recent history for him.

Interesting stat for this week's MNF game for Trent Green.

2004 - Week 3 v. HOU

21/30, 224yds, 3 td, 1int

2003 - Week 3 v. HOU

16/28, 262yds, 1td, 2int

2002 - Week 3 v. NE

16/25, 149yds, 3td, 2int

2001 - Week 3 v. WAS

21/26, 307yds, 3td, 0int

He typically does not put up great stats the first couple games of the year but game 3 has been decent in recent history for him.

1008034[/snapback]

great stats!!!

I think the passing game in KC will take a hit this year but not because of the running game, but because of the defense. Last year, and many years before that, they had to put up 35+ points to have a chance and were mostly playing from behind. The running game hasn't really changed much, except for the use of LJ more, it will just get more attention because they will be playing with a lead more often.

Just my 2 cents

I think the productivity of the KC passing attack will take a small hit this year, but not as big as some people seem to think.

Vermeil and OC Al Saunders believe in a balanced offense, and the last thing they wants is for the Chiefs to become predictable. So yes, the KC running game will probably be as awesome as it's ever been this year once Roaf gets healthy, but even so I expect Green will continue to throw the ball around 30 times a game.

(FYI over the last 4 seasons, Green has averaged a little over 32 passing attempts per game.)

All that said, in the *short* term (again, until Roaf is back on the field), I expect the Chiefs will pass a bit less than normal. The Chiefs are used to leaving Roaf alone on an island at LT (as Vermeil noted in an interview last week) since even the best speed rushers can't get around him. When he doesn't play, though (he's questionable for this week), they're forced to shift the LG over at times to help out in passing situations (which leaves vulnerability for a rush up the middle). That said, I will be surprised if the Chiefs pass a ton on Monday night. The Chiefs simply can't afford to lose Green to injury, and they're not going to take a chance on leaving him exposed, so I expect their game plan will be to ram the ball down the Bronco's throats.

I think something is up with Green, he was injured at the start of the season, they tried to acquire another back as a back-up and now they say he is fine?

I think there is more to it, perhaps his legs bother him if he has to plant to throw a long pass?

It seems very odd that a passer of his caliber is not passing. Even when they have the lead, you would think they would sit their backs so they dont get injured and throw the ball a few times.

However, They are also playing their opponents as to the defensive capabilities. Both teams they have played so far are horrid at stopping the run, so RUN the ball.

Same for Denver on Monday, why pass when you can run around their defense all night long?

I think the passing game in KC will take a hit this year but not because of the running game, but because of the defense.  Last year, and many years before that, they had to put up 35+ points to have a chance and were mostly playing from behind.  The running game hasn't really changed much, except for the use of LJ more, it will just get more attention because they will be playing with a lead more often.

Just my 2 cents

1009288[/snapback]

their defense normally dictates the decision of run or pass.....

you could possibly see 2 backs easily exceed 1000 yds in the same offense and maybe even 10 TD's....

it CAN happen, I'm not saying it will.....they'll continue to run the ball as long as their offense keeps control and the defense plays solid...and is also kept off the field...

I think the passing game in KC will take a hit this year but not because of the running game, but because of the defense.

1009288[/snapback]

It's the combination of the above. Both a strong running game & a strong D, is suppressing KC's aerial game.

Same thing in Indy.

But don't fret. You'll still see the passing game come to life at times. It will be the actual game situations that dictate the where, when & how much.

Edited by Big Score 1