[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Why no love for Mike Anderson?

panhead55

The last two weeks I've read the boards and people are dropping Anderson right and left to pick up the Brandon Jacobs and Chris Perrys of the world. I think they'll be sorry. Shanahan is not a RBBC coach. He picks a starter and sticks with him. The Denver starting RB has always been productive no matter who (Davis. Gary, Anderson, Portis, and even Reuben Droughns). After the fourth week last year everybody was talking about Droughns as a MUST START. Why shouldn't we expect this from Anderson.

Mike Anderson clearly was the top back during training camp. He both ran better than Bell (the pre season favorite) and blocked better than Bell. In week one he injures himself early and gives way to Bell. Bell then demonstrated why he is not the guy. He failed four times to gain the needed one yard. He fumbled in trying and was miserable in pass blocking. In game two Anderson was still hampered by his rib injury and gave way to Dayne when his local anesthetic wore off. I may be wrong but I just don't think Ron Dayne is the MAN. I think a healthy Anderson will be a very productive back. I have him in two leagues and he is sitting on my bench for now. Those who waived him will have regrets.

After Anderson runs for 100+ yards and two TDs against Kansas City on MNF will he be the talk and rage of the message boards on Tuesday? Or will I look like the wishfull thinking fool (I probably shouldn't lead with my chin)?

Edited by panhead55

Last year Droughns becomes the starter because Q got injured. Once Shanahan picks a starter he is the MAN unless he is injured or ineffective. We haven't had a chance to see if Anderson is effective or not due to his rib injury.

The last two weeks I've read the boards and people are dropping Anderson right and left to pick up the Brandon Jacobs and Chris Perrys of the world. I think they'll be sorry. Shanahan is not a RBBC coach. He picks a starter and sticks with him. The Denver starting RB has always been productive no matter who (Davis. Gary, Anderson, Portis, and even Reuben Droughns). After the fourth week last year everybody was talking about Droughns as a MUST START. Why shouldn't we expect this from Anderson.

Mike Anderson clearly was the top back during training camp. He both ran better than Bell (the pre season favorite) and blocked better than Bell. In week one he injures himself early and gives way to Bell. Bell then demonstrated why he is not the guy.  He failed four times to gain the needed one yard. He fumbled in trying and was miserable in pass blocking. In game two Anderson was still hampered by his rib injury and gave way to Dayne when his local anesthetic wore off. I may be wrong but I just don't think Ron Dayne is the MAN. I think a healthy Anderson will be a very productive back. I have him in two leagues and he is sitting on my bench for now. Those who waived him will have regrets.

After Anderson runs for 100+ yards and two TDs against Kansas City on MNF will he be the talk and rage of the message boards on Tuesday? Or will I look like the wishfull thinking fool (I probably shouldn't lead with my chin)?

1020033[/snapback]

Then why is Shanny sharing the running load? b/c of Andersons injury? Shanny does not feel fully comfortable with his runners. This is a RBBC until someone shows they can take the load. Anderson is not the answer. I would not hold your breath on a big showing by Anderson against a much improved KC D.

I honestly think what is going on right know is setting Bell up to emerge as the starter. If he can stay healthy....

Edited by Grimm74

Then why is Shanny sharing the running load? b/c of Andersons injury? Shanny does not feel fully comfortable with his runners. This is a RBBC until someone shows they can take the load. Anderson is not the answer. I would not hold your breath on a big showing by Anderson against a much improved KC D.

I honestly think what is going on right know is setting Bell up to emerge as the starter.  If he can stay healthy....

1020361[/snapback]

You may well be right about Bell. The point is that Shanahan is not by nature a RBBC coach. He never has been. He may switch starters mid season, but he normally doesn't share the load within a particular game ala Brown and Henry in Tennessee.

You may well be right about Bell. The point is that Shanahan is not by nature a RBBC coach. He never has been. He may switch starters mid season, but he normally doesn't share the load within a particular game ala Brown and Henry in Tennessee.

1020422[/snapback]

:D

You are cracking me up ... even it it was true that he doesn't switch in a game good luck figuring out which back gets the start.

You and I have obviously been watching different Denver teams the last several years.

Well Anderson had a reasonably good night. No, he did not get in the end zone on 3rd and one, but he still put up decent stats. I'd be willing to bet that all those who waived him wished they still had him. Maybe he only starts for another 4 or 5 games or maybe he is the MAN for the entire year. Regardless I'm glad he is on a couple of my rosters. My rosters are deep enough at RB that I don't have to play him, but I glad I have that choice.

I would have won with 7 more yards from Anderson, or if he isn't a complete puss and bowls over that corner on 2nd and GOAL from the one.

1023949[/snapback]

As a Anderson owner I liked his production today but I have to say I sure wish I had Bell backing him up.

Bell looked good in his few carries and I would not be suprised to see him eventually taking over this job. Anderson had that 2nd touchdown and just did not have the speed or muscle to get it in.

I would have won with 7 more yards from Anderson, or if he isn't a complete puss and bowls over that corner on 2nd and GOAL from the one.

1023949[/snapback]

He evidently has no moves, because a simple cut to the right would have taken him in. Even sticking his right arm out with the ball in it would have done it.

Edited by Ursa Majoris

As a Anderson owner I liked his production today but I have to say I sure wish I had Bell backing him up.

Bell looked good in his few carries and I would not be suprised to see him eventually taking over this job. Anderson had that 2nd touchdown and just did not have the speed or muscle to get it in.

1023993[/snapback]

Bell would have to pass Dayne on the depth chart as well. Ron was the second back into the game.

Bell would have to pass Dayne on the depth chart as well.  Ron was the second back into the game.

1024004[/snapback]

or so Shannahan said. you watched the game..you seen Dayne tonight. I would be real suprised if Bell did not get 7 or 8 carries next week.

That being said, I hope you are right being that I have Anderson on 1 team.

Mike Anderson is the starter for now.....

You are all correct, he may be all year.....Injury or ineffective it will be Tatum Bell.

Tatum Bell has not has enough carries in a regular season game to show anything yet.....

As far as talent goes Bell has the most of all of the Denver RB's

I WISH I HAD ANDERSON TRUST ME BUT.....

For now I will hold onto Tatum Bell and maybe even Ron Dayn for at least 2 -3 more weeks and see what happens in Denver

The future is not with Mike Anderson, it may not be with Bell either but we shall see.

I can't disagree with much of what has been said, except, the Shannahan haters seem mis-guided if not completely blinded. The short answer is he opts for the option at any given moment that he believes gives the team the best chance to win.

As far as Mike goes, again I think many around here are short sighted. Time will tell. Personally I think he goes the distance. He HAS done it before.

Shanahan will go with the back that helps him win THIS SEASON, as this could be his last...he could be on the hot seat...this is a very mundane team and might need some things to shake up...

Tatum Bell is not the future, if he was...Shanahan would not have drafted a RB this year in the 3rd round...he would have just kept Q and added Dayne....

Mike Anderson is the answer for now, but we shall see in the next few weeks....

If I could put my stock into anybody right now, it would be Dayne...still...

The last two weeks I've read the boards and people are dropping Anderson right and left to pick up the Brandon Jacobs and Chris Perrys of the world. I think they'll be sorry. Shanahan is not a RBBC coach.

1020033[/snapback]

Go back and looks at the stats. Denver 200+ yards.

Anderson 98.

RUSHING

ATT YDS TD LG

M. Anderson 20 98 1 44

A. Lelie 2 56 0 39

T. Bell 5 47 0 24

R. Dayne 3 6 0 4

K. Johnson 2 5 0 4

Sounds like RBBC to me.

I lost because of Anderson/Skelator and because KC punted from the 35. Tynes can't kick a FG in Denver from 52?

Edited by Randall

1023949[/snapback]

First off that play was a joke. If he turns up field easy TD. The DB doesn't touch him until the half yard line and obviously momentum carries him in. He made a misread and tried to take it wide and boom stopped. That was a terrible play that should have been an EASY TD. You can tell Michaels and Madden were like TD oh no stopped. When he first got the ball it looked like he'd walk in.

Now as for a whole last night to me Anderson didn't do well and showed why he has a short shelf life.

1. UNDER 3 YPC other then the 44 yard TD run

2. Stopped 3 times inside the 5 including the ridiculous one above

3. It is pretty clear to me he doesn't have much in the way of moves or power. How many tackles did he break last night? How many moves did he make? How many guys did he run away from? What I saw was a very limited back who broke one big run for a TD to make his stats look good. My advice is deal him off this game. I offered him for M. Muhammad right after the game

To me it is also clear that Bell is the way to look here. Before yesterday I was on Dayne, but said after this week I bet we get a Denver RB answer and I believe we did. Dayne had 2 or 3 carries and was ahead of Bell coming in, but if fully healthy it is hard to argue Bell has the most talent. The most impressive Denver RB was Bell. ISsue with him is if he ever became the # 1 would he stay in at the GL?

First off that play was a joke. If he turns up field easy TD. The DB doesn't touch him until the half yard line and obviously momentum carries him in. He made a misread and tried to take it wide and boom stopped. That was a terrible play that should have been an EASY TD. You can tell Michaels and Madden were like TD oh no stopped. When he first got the ball it looked like he'd walk in.

Now as for a whole last night to me Anderson didn't do well and showed why he has a short shelf life.

1. UNDER 3 YPC other then the 44 yard TD run

2. Stopped 3 times inside the 5 including the ridiculous one above

3. It is pretty clear to me he doesn't have much in the way of moves or power. How many tackles did he break last night? How many moves did he make? How many guys did he run away from? What I saw was a very limited back who broke one big run for a TD to make his stats look good. My advice is deal him off this game. I offered him for M. Muhammad right after the game

To me it is also clear that Bell is the way to look here. Before yesterday I was on Dayne, but said after this week I bet we get a Denver RB answer and I believe we did. Dayne had 2 or 3 carries and was ahead of Bell coming in, but if fully healthy it is hard to argue Bell has the most talent. The most impressive Denver RB was Bell. ISsue with him is if he ever became the # 1 would he stay in at the GL?

1024131[/snapback]

Can't disagree with your comments about last night.

I would say, however, that most feel that KC's D is vastly improved and that Denver's offense has never been a good short yardage line as they just don't have the bulk to push defensive lines off the ball. I actually saw Anderson moving the pile on a couple of runs and showed good strength. That rib injury has to be bothering him some but I still think he ran well.

I agree with you about Bell. The goal line problem is not Bell's but the Olines as Anderson couldn't punch it in either. The only question I have with Bell is can he ever figure out how to block in passing situations. Maybe he's just dumb or something. :D