[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Belichick rips Steelers trainer

Menudo

This surprise me, as I have always had the utmost respect for Belichick. Seems he went a little off the deep end in this instance.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05269/577963.stm

No thanks

There were strange plays at Heinz Field yesterday, but nothing as out of the ordinary as Patriots coach Bill Belichick chasing Steelers trainer John Norwig away from one of his injured players.

As tackle Matt Light lay on the turf with a serious leg injury in the second quarter, Norwig ran over to see if he could help, as opposing trainers often will do with serious injuries.

Belichick walked out on the field and told Norwig, in no uncertain terms, to get away from his player. Norwig walked off the field and could be seen laughing about it with several Steelers doctors on the sideline.

Cowher said he was not aware of what happened.

Nick Kaczur, a third-round pick from Toledo, replaced Light in the second quarter. That gave the Patriots two rookies on their left side of the line, with guard Logan Mankins.

The Steelers said they did not adjust their strategy to go after the two young players.

"You can't really attack somebody just because they're a young guy," linebacker James Farrior said. "You just have to play our game, and we didn't do enough today."

I love it. 

P'Burgh media desperately seeking new ways to villify Belichick.

1021981[/snapback]

I love it, homer Pats fans denying that any such thing could have been done by the great Mr. Belichick.

We all know Bill's a private guy, especially when it comes to injuries. If the oposing team's trainer is there to see the extent of an unjury, he feels it could give that team an advantage. :D Paranoid? Over-cautious? Probably. Genius none-the-less?? Why, yes, of course he is. Just Bill being Bill. :D

Edited by Bring Back Pat!!!

This surprise me, as I have always had the utmost respect for Belichick.  Seems he went a little off the deep end in this instance.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05269/577963.stm

No thanks

There were strange plays at Heinz Field yesterday, but nothing as out of the ordinary as Patriots coach Bill Belichick chasing Steelers trainer John Norwig away from one of his injured players.

As tackle Matt Light lay on the turf with a serious leg injury in the second quarter, Norwig ran over to see if he could help, as opposing trainers often will do with serious injuries.

Belichick walked out on the field and told Norwig, in no uncertain terms, to get away from his player. Norwig walked off the field and could be seen laughing about it with several Steelers doctors on the sideline.

Cowher said he was not aware of what happened.

Nick Kaczur, a third-round pick from Toledo, replaced Light in the second quarter. That gave the Patriots two rookies on their left side of the line, with guard Logan Mankins.

The Steelers said they did not adjust their strategy to go after the two young players.

"You can't really attack somebody just because they're a young guy," linebacker James Farrior said. "You just have to play our game, and we didn't do enough today."

1021972[/snapback]

:D

And I thought that only the Pats fans were frustrated to the point of irrational behavior.  :D

1022002[/snapback]

Why should we be frustrated, what with all the, you know, winning and stuff. :D

Its not like the trainer was trying to set a bone incorrectly to further injure the player.

And as far as the trainer then "knowing" what the injury was, it does not matter at that point. The whole point of Belichick's "hiding" injuries prior to kickoff is so the opposition does not know what to prepare for. At the point the Light goes down, he has to be out for at least one play. Given the fact that he was carted off the field and not on the sidelines, the Steelers KNOW that he's not in the game, so they can adjust if they want to adjust. Its clear to everyone the guy is not in the game, so there is nothing gained by "hiding" it.

And as far as "hiding" it for future games - trainers for the opposing teams do not run out to players near their sideline and conduct full exams/MRIs in the 5 seconds they spend alone with the player. They tell the player "stay down, don't move", and that's about it. It is just a courtesy thing because some guys get mad/frustrated they are hurt, won't want to come out of the game, and try to get up/move around, which will hurt it even more. So the closest person should tell them to "hold on" until their own trainers get out there.

I didn't see it happen, but just by reading this, there is really no point to defend Belichick's behavior if he swore at the Steelers trainer (it says he told him "in no uncertain terms"). Pretty unnecessary and not very classy at all.

However, at the end of the day, no big deal - much worse is said on the field on Sundays between players and even coaches, just somewhat suprising for a coach to say to a trainer.

He didnt show zero class, he just wanted his trainers looking after his players... Nothing wrong with that... And if a coach can do anything he wants, as long as he's got those rings on his fingers. Bill should be the blueprint to all the other coaches... How many people have one 3/4 super bowls?

And yes, I hate the patriots, but I understand their greatness.

I guess NE brought their own cart and stretcher and shower to the game as well.  There is a thing called common courtesy they the Pitt trainers were trying to show.  Bill showed zero class in this situation.

1022161[/snapback]

If they needed a cart or a stretcher, they would have asked for one. Steelers personnel should stay on their own sideline until Patriots personnel grant permission for them to approach and injured Patriot. Even then, they should proceed with caution in case Belichick changes his mind.

If they needed a cart or a stretcher, they would have asked for one.  Steelers personnel should stay on their own sideline until Patriots personnel grant permission for them to approach and injured Patriot.  Even then, they should proceed with caution in case Belichick changes his mind.

1022278[/snapback]

While I totally understand what you are saying, I think it is any trainers instant reaction to go out to attend to an injured player regardless of what team they are on. That is simply what trainers do. I do agree that Belichick has every right to refuse the help of another teams trainer. I don't think that either party is out of line in this case.

Edited by max

If they needed a cart or a stretcher, they would have asked for one.  Steelers personnel should stay on their own sideline until Patriots personnel grant permission for them to approach and injured Patriot. 

1022278[/snapback]

better yet, steelers' personnel (or anyone else in the league, for that matter) should tell the pats to go f*ck themselves if the pats ever ask for help from them.

"mithter bellichek, may we pleathe have permission to aid your injured player writhing around on the field? thank you, thir." :D

Edited by Azazello1313

I still say players win games, not coaches.  Bill inheritied Big Bills defensive players in NE, and Charlie Weiss turned a pathetic offense into and effiecent one.  Bill is suppose to be a guru, but with Bruschi, Law, and McGinnest, its not hard to succeed.  And 2/3 of those 3 are not there this yr, and this team on defense isnt going to be the same regardless of what lil Bill says.

1022586[/snapback]

Oh here we go. We can mention how Big Bill spent widely and then left the Jets in a lurch. Let's see where he leaves Dallas when he departs. The reason he left NE is because the Pats weren't willing to let him spend wildly and leave them in bad shape.

Actually, I this is so ridiculous that I'm not going to spend more time discussing where Bellichick stands among NFL coaches.

Edited by charty

It is common courtesy for an athletic trainer to go out to see if he/she can help with an injured opponent. It's the right thing to do. Once the trainer gets to the injured player it should be fine for the injured player's trainer to say, "Thanks for the assistance, but I could handle this one." Their should be gratitude and respect for fellow trainers.

I don't have a problem with Bilichick letting the Pittsburgh's trainer know that their own trainer could handle that particular injury, but as I said above - it should be done respectfully and gratefully.

jmo

I still say players win games, not coaches.  Bill inheritied Big Bills defensive players in NE, and Charlie Weiss turned a pathetic offense into and effiecent one.  Bill is suppose to be a guru, but with Bruschi, Law, and McGinnest, its not hard to succeed.  And 2/3 of those 3 are not there this yr, and this team on defense isnt going to be the same regardless of what lil Bill says.

1022586[/snapback]

you amuse me, idiot.

This story is written from the Pittsburgh point of view, who knows exactly what was said, or how it was said.

The more shocking piece of this story is the fact that the Patriots had 2 rookies on the left side of the line, and you don't even make an effort to go after them? :D

Edited by charty