[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Rohan Davey

Flypaste

Sep 27 2005 1:42PM

ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports the Arizona Cardinals have reached an agreement in principle with free agent QB Rohan Davey (Patriots). He is expected to sign a one-year deal.

Fantasy Impact: If Warner is out for a few games and Josh McCown struggles, don't be surprised to see Davey get a shot to start a game or two for the Cardinals.

I think that's great news for him. He paid his dues in NE and now he just might get a shot to play. He deserves it. He may also be in a place where success could mean a long-term term fit. I am very surprised he didn't catch on more quickly.

He's big, he can move and he's got a canon. He's not all that unlike Daunte Culpepper actually. No wonder why Denny likes him.

I'm surprised it took this long for him to catch on.

Any comparisons with Culpepper are ridiculous. He's Slow like Bledsoe. What he has going for him is a really good, accurate arm. His downsides are all speed related. Feet, decision making, play execution. Slow. Maybe Denny will get him performing at NFL speed, and then he will be a decent option for them

My comparison to Culpepper is more that he's large. And he can move around well in the pocket. He's just not much of a scrambler. As for him not learning the play book, that's just a false statement. He's thrown a total of 12 regular season pases. Let's not forget that he was backing up Tom Brady on Bill's team. Belichick wouldn't use somebody who he felt was incompitant. Keeping Flutie rather than Davey this year was much more about bringing in an experienced "coach-like" figure for Brady than Rohan not being effective.

Keeping Flutie rather than Davey this year was much more about bringing in an experienced "coach-like" figure for Brady than Rohan not being effective.

Basically they kept Kassell over Davey, and Bellichick's reasoning was Davey was going to be a free agent after this year, and was probably going to sign with a team where he had a better chance to see action.

Flutie is over 40 and Bill wasn't sure if he will be back next year, or retire.

So, he didn't want to be in a position where he had 2 new QBs in camp next year (Davey gone - FA & Flutie Retired), so he kept Flutie and the rookie (price probably played a factor as well).

Not trying to crack wise here, but if the kid has such great potential, why was he on the street until this morning?  :D

1025202[/snapback]

Because he was released late in the pre-season, and had virtually no chance to learn a new playbook prior to the season starting, so unless a team were desparate for a QB, there wasn't really much reason to go after him. Teams seeking long-term options can't accurately gauge a guy if he doesn't play, and Davey wasn't going to get any practice reps in the regular season unless he's at least the #2, which he wouldn't have been.

I heard that there was a story in the Arizona paper about people getting fed up with Denny Green and his act already. After enduring his crap in Minnesota, I am not the least bit surprised. Green has always thought that it was his system and not the players that made a difference, and he has always stuck with guys that he "discovered" and were hard luck kind of guys. His stubborness is widely known, and I figured would be the undoing of that squad.

Hey, Denny...here's a news flash: it wasn't/isn't the SYSTEM.

The system in Minny with Green:

QB: Cunningham and Culpepper

RB: Robert Smith

WR: Randy Moss and Cris Carter

The system in Zona with Green:

QB: Note our present discussion, but let's just say an aging Kurt Warner

RB: See the 5 other hot threads in this forum, but let's just say Marcel Shipp

WR: A couple of young, decent receivers (one of them is one of his best friend's son).

To me, it seems like Davey is a good signing for them. He certainly fits the bill of an athletic, Denny Green-supported quarterback like Culpepper or Cunningham. I could see him jazzing things up a little, and I would definitely have him go deep with that arm. Now, protection...that's another matter...