[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Troy Williamson

Outshined

Posted on Thu, Sep. 29, 2005

Vikings make Williamson a big part of plan

The Associated Press

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. — Minnesota Vikings coach Mike Tice has been trying to take it slow with Troy Williamson.

The rookie out of USC and Silver Bluff High is not used to doing anything slow.

Tice wanted to be patient with Minnesota's top draft pick, hoping to keep the Randy Moss comparisons to a minimum. Heading into his fourth game as a pro, Williamson's considerable skills — and an injury to No. 1 receiver Nate Burleson — have made him a big part of the game plan heading into Sunday's game at Atlanta.

"We know that he is a real burner and he plays the ball very well in the air," Tice said. "We are not holding anything back now due to Nate's injury. He is in the game."

http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/sports/12768398.htm

Williamson looks like he has the potential to be a Santana Moss like player with better hands = more TD's. I like it.

1031932[/snapback]

Williamson = 6'1", 203 lbs

S. Moss = 5'10", 190 lbs

Better hands, maybe, but definitely better separation due to his size. And he has Culpepper throwing to him vs. the likes of Brunell/Ramsey/Campbell.

I'll be sorely disappointed if Williamson turns out to be merely a Santana Moss-like player.

With Burleson out right now, Taylor is the #1 WR, M, Robinson is the #2 WR, but M. Robinson and Williamson switch-off every other time that there is a 2-TE formation (so sometimes Williamson will act as the #2 WR). Otherwise Williamson is the #3 WR.

Once Burleson comes back after the bye, that will all be changed around again.

Edit to add: source for this info is Mike Tice on his weekly radio show this last Wednesday on KFAN.

Edited by Savage Beatings

With Burleson out right now, Taylor is the #1 WR, M, Robinson is the #2 WR, but M. Robinson and Williamson switch-off every other time that there is a 2-TE formation (so sometimes Williamson will act as the #2 WR).  Otherwise Williamson is the #3 WR.

Once Burleson comes back after the bye, that will all be changed around again.

Edit to add:  source for this info is Mike Tice on his weekly radio show this last Wednesday on KFAN.

1032382[/snapback]

he was probably giggling like a little girl when he said it...

Article in todays Strib;

Last update: September 30, 2005 at 7:27 AM

Vikings' Troy Williamson: See what one TD will do

Mark Craig, Star Tribune

September 30, 2005 VIKE0930

Thursday was as good a time as any to get the full X-and-O breakdown on Troy Williamson's first NFL touchdown reception, a 53-yarder in the Vikings' 33-16 victory over the New Orleans Saints on Sunday.

"The key," said Williamson, "was a technique I use called a speed release."

Yes, yes. How exactly does that work?

"Pretty much run, man," Williamson said. "Just go."

Well, there you have it. As plain-spoken as he is fast, Williamson was done explaining the Vikings' longest offensive scoring play in the post-You-Know-Who era.

The play took only seven seconds to execute. But it probably changed the way opponents will perceive the Vikings' rookie first-round draft pick. With one explosive snap, Williamson no longer is the Inspector Clouseau of Vikings minicamp.

He's an NFL deep threat, ranking third in the league in yards per reception (25.4) among players with multiple catches.

"After the play he made last week, you saw what happens if you let him off the line clean," said Falcons coach Jim Mora Jr., whose team plays the Vikings on Sunday at the Georgia Dome. "He just can go. ... There are a lot of things that guy does that scare you. And we're a little beat up in the secondary."

Cornerback has been a trouble spot in Atlanta. Kevin Mathis (knee) is on injured reserve while neither Jason Webster (knee) nor Allen Rossum (hamstring) played last in last week's victory at Buffalo. Webster and Rossum are listed as probable this week.

Christian Morton, who was signed off Washington's practice squad two weeks ago, got his first NFL start last week. He has been released five times in the past year, including twice by the cornerback-starved 2004 New England Patriots.

At one point in the Bills game, the Falcons were down to former Lions cornerback Chris Cash -- who was signed the previous Monday -- at right corner and former Vikings reserve Omare Lowe and safety Ronnie Heard splitting time at nickel back.

Well-respected DeAngelo Hall will start at left corner, but chances are he'll cover one of the Vikings' veteran receivers. That could leave Williamson with a mismatch elsewhere on the field.

"He's not hard for me to cover because I'm a veteran guy," Vikings cornerback Fred Smoot said. "I know how to tempo down fast guys like that. But I'm sure he's hard to cover for some of these other corners because when you look at film, it doesn't seem like Troy's moving as fast as he is. That's why he's going to constantly get behind people."

On his touchdown against the Saints, Williamson lined up on the left side. Reserve cornerback Jason Craft was across from him with about 3 yards of cushion between them.

Quarterback Daunte Culpepper saw the soft man coverage, recognized the Saints were about to blitz and changed the play. Sort of like when You-Know-Who was here.

"[Craft] never touched me," Williamson said. "And then Daunte put it in there perfectly."

Williamson, who had a team-high 83 yards on three catches, said he noticed the Saints paying more attention to him after his touchdown gave the Vikings a 24-0 lead.

"They did a bunch of stuff on me on third downs," Williamson said. "They played me a little harder. Up until the touchdown, I didn't notice much of that stuff."

Pittsburgh's Antwaan Randle El leads the NFL with 31.4 yards per catch. Second place belongs to Moss -- Santana Moss, that is -- at 28.3. Oakland's Randy Moss -- a k a You-Know-Who -- is averaging 22.9 yards per catch, but he also leads Williamson in receptions (15-5) and touchdowns (2-1).

Williamson kept the ball from his first NFL touchdown. He laughed when told the minimum bid on eBay for the ball Randy Moss caught for his first touchdown in 1998 was recently posted at $10,000.

"For real?" Williamson said. "Wow. That's crazy. Nah, I'm going to keep mine and put it in my house."

Culpepper, who threw 53 touchdown passes to Moss, said we'll be seeing more of Williamson, which is only fitting since he was selected with the draft pick (seventh overall) that was the key piece of the Moss trade.

"Oh yeah, definitely," Culpepper said. "That is the plan. We are definitely going to use him any way possible. He runs very good deep routes, and he runs underneath things well, too. That's why he's such a weapon."

Edited by Outshined

Williamson = 6'1", 203 lbs

S. Moss = 5'10", 190 lbs

Better hands, maybe, but definitely better separation due to his size.  And he has Culpepper throwing to him vs. the likes of Brunell/Ramsey/Campbell.

I'll be sorely disappointed if Williamson turns out to be merely a Santana Moss-like player.

1032082[/snapback]

What I meant was that he has the ability to make impact plays. When Santana is hot, he's tough to stop. His Monday night game (70 yard TD) won me the week 2 weeks ago. Williamson will make plays like that.