[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Exxon records nearly $10B profit

Big F'n Dave

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has Exxon been accused of price gouging, or is this just more lefty whinning?

1101394[/snapback]

I can see the Exxon station at Central and Walnut Hill from my office. They were at 3.01 a gallon right after Katrina and are at 2.62 a gallon right now. I suppose none of that 39 cents a gallon made it into their $10,000,000,000.00 profits and I'm sure Exxon did not benefit in the least from the 2,000 dead Americans and $200,000,000,000.00 tax payer dollars that has subsidized Project Iraq.

I'm naive.

I can see the Exxon station at Central and Walnut Hill from my office.  They were at 3.01 a gallon right after Katrina and are at 2.62 a gallon right now.  I suppose none of that 39 cents a gallon made it into their $10,000,000,000.00 profits and I'm sure Exxon did not benefit in the least from the 2,000 dead Americans and $200,000,000,000.00 tax payer dollars that has subsidized Project Iraq.

I'm naive.

1101415[/snapback]

Sorry, I thought gas was a commodity, and suseptable to market forces.

Sorry, I thought gas was a commodity, and suseptable to market forces.

1101465[/snapback]

not when the goverment is givieng them money willy nilly.... and there are boys and men dyings fo r some Kate Middleton at exxon can get a new island or somthing :D

Edited by Yukon Cornelius

Good for them, and good for me and anyone else who owns their stock.

1101384[/snapback]

I own some of their stock. It's value isn't going up as fast as their prices. It's gone up about 50% since I acquired it ~3 years ago.

turbulence in the market always does this.  prices react to the worst-case scenario and the consumer ultimately ends up paying for insurance against that scenario.  pretty silly to call it price gouging, but whatever.

1101572[/snapback]

:D

Yer right price gouging is probably the wrong term to use. Profiteering; however, is probably more accurate since it would cover both the illogical increase in gas prices since the war in Iraq and Katrina.

Profiteering is the act of making a profit by methods considered unethical. Business owners may be accused of profiteering when they raise prices during an emergency (especially a war). The term is also applied to businesses that play on political corruption to obtain government contracts.

1101572[/snapback]

A distinction without a difference, but whatever.

Yer right price gouging is probably the wrong term to use.  Profiteering; however, is probably more accurate since it would cover both the illogical increase in gas prices since the war in Iraq and Katrina.

1101597[/snapback]

the war has nothing to do with their third-quarter spike in profits. red herring.

you think it's illogical to increase petro prices in response to storms did so much damage in the gulf (and threatened to do even more)?

Yer right price gouging is probably the wrong term to use.  Profiteering; however, is probably more accurate since it would cover both the illogical increase in gas prices since the war in Iraq and Katrina.

1101597[/snapback]

Symantics