[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Exxon records nearly $10B profit

Big F'n Dave

If there was so much damage how'd they turn a $10,000,000,000.00 profit?

1101624[/snapback]

i already told you.

turbulence in the market always does this. prices react to the worst-case scenario and the consumer ultimately ends up paying for insurance against that scenario.

rail against it all you want, it's just the way the market tends to ride out turbulent stretches. i guess you should just stop buying gas if it bugs you so much.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i already told you. 

rail against it all you want, it's just the way the market tends to ride out turbulent stretches.  i guess you should just stop buying gas if it bugs you so much.

1101681[/snapback]

So Exxon's cost to get oil, refine it, and get it to the gas station stayed the same but since peole on wall street (the same one's who benefit from the $10,000,000,000.00 the most) were worried that there might be a problem the price goes up?

That pretty much fits the definition of profiteering as well as price gouging.

Funny how that works.

if florida gets a hugh freeze that kills all the orange groves, the price of orange juice goes through the roof, as the supply curve on OJ tightens way up. this may look good for the OJ companies short term because the high prices will drive up their immediate profits. but it's not really good for them long term because sustained high prices would lead to people just not drinking OJ, then they can be hurt the next season when supply is back flowing freely but there aren't as many OJ drinkers out there. so this whole high price thing isn't all good news for the oil companies.

Edited by Azazello1313

The oil company's making these insane profits is not good for the country. However, this is the bed the left and the enviro's have made.

There is no actual free market in the oil business, with the stiffled growth imposed by lawyers, and the consolidation of recent years, we are at the whim.

Remove these silly dam gasoline blends, give out refining patents to whomever wants them, open up ANWR rayt@rds, put platforms off the coasts, and we are good.

There is no shortage of oil, there is more than we can use for 100 years or more, no problem.

New evidence shows that oil is in fact not even fossil fuels, and that there is much more of it than we know about.

I wonder how much Exxon donated to the relief funds? They've stole it from us, they should pay it back to the people who need it.

1101666[/snapback]

They stole it from you?

I didn't realize the petroleum companies had masked hoodlums hiding behind gas pumps ready to mug you if you don't purchase 10 gallons of 93 octane!

Is this the same logic you so haphazardly apply when it comes to arguing for higher taxes? If the government takes your money, it's legitimate, but if a big corporation does it, yor cry robber baron?

Who told any of you people you have to buy their products? Strap on your Teva sandles and walk, or ride your bikes if you are so concerned about the rising cost of fuel. Buy a hybrid car, take the bus. Just stop complaining! If you stop buying their products, they have no reason or means to stay in business.

And like Az suggested, prices reflect future utilization. You don't buy an item based on how much it cost historically or what benefit it "used" to provide. You buy it for what it will do for you prospectively. And if there is a fear that gas will be in lesser physical supply and/or harder to come by, prices are adjusted accordingly.

How many of you negelcted to take a basic economics course in college?

if florida gets a hugh freeze that kills all the orange groves, the price of orange juice goes through the roof, as the supply curve on OJ tightens way up. this may look good for the OJ companies short term because the high prices will drive up their immediate profits. but it's not really good for them long term because sustained high prices would lead to people just not drinking OJ, then they can be hurt the next season when supply is back flowing freely but there aren't as many OJ drinkers out there. so this whole high price thing isn't all good news for the oil companies.

So the oil companies are worried people will simply stop using gas?

:D

They stole it from you?

I didn't realize the petroleum companies had masked hoodlums hiding behind gas pumps ready to mug you if you don't purchase 10 gallons of 93 octane!

1101706[/snapback]

Apathy uncovered who robbed Tangent!

:unmasksExxonCEO:

And I would've gotten away with it if it weren't for you pesky kids.

if florida gets a hugh freeze that kills all the hemp plants, the price of the chronic goes through the roof, as the supply curve on Josh Gordon tightens way up.  this may look good for the drug dealers short term because the high prices will drive up their immediate profits.  but it's not really good for them long term because sustained high prices would lead to people just not smoking the chronic, then they can be hurt the next season when supply is back flowing freely but there aren't as many Josh Gordon smokers out there.  so this whole high price thing isn't all good news for the oil companies.

1101702[/snapback]

Fixed so it is understandable to everyone...

I'll be right back, I'm gogin to go pour a gallon of Minute Maid in my gas tank...

So it is just a coincidence that before we even knew how bad the damage from Katrina was, gas prices skyrocketed and Exxon just happend to turn a $10,000,000,000.00 profit that quaret despite all the damage to their refineries?

That's what yer selling, coincidence?

Edited by Clubfoothead

I don't think that idiot can spell relief fund

1101677[/snapback]

i know i cant :D

So Exxon's cost to get oil, refine it, and get it to the gas station stayed the same but since peole on wall street (the same one's who benefit from the $10,000,000,000.00 the most) were worried that there might be a problem the price goes up?

That pretty much fits the definition of profiteering as well as price gouging.

Funny how that works.

1101689[/snapback]

stop pointing out the abvious... isnt it in the bible that making money from other sorrow is a sin???

Biodiesel is the way to go.....

if florida gets a hugh freeze that kills all the orange groves, the price of orange juice goes through the roof, as the supply curve on OJ tightens way up.  this may look good for the OJ companies short term because the high prices will drive up their immediate profits.   but it's not really good for them long term because sustained high prices would lead to people just not drinking OJ, then they can be hurt the next season when supply is back flowing freely but there aren't as many OJ drinkers out there.  so this whole high price thing isn't all good news for the oil companies.

1101702[/snapback]

:D

That is the wackiest justification I've ever seen. You're actually claiming that the oil company hurt it's future sales by artificially raising it's own profits... so it's bad news?

Wouldn't the more rational course of action to have been to mandate lower prices during the crisis then, so they didn't lose customers (as if they are actually losing customers)? Instead they awarded bonuses and celebrated on the roofs for high prices.

That's some crazy crazy crap you're babbling there.

Edited by AtomicCEO

if florida gets a hugh freeze that kills all the orange groves, the price of orange juice goes through the roof, as the supply curve on OJ tightens way up.  this may look good for the OJ companies short term because the high prices will drive up their immediate profits.  but it's not really good for them long term because sustained high prices would lead to people just not drinking OJ, then they can be hurt the next season when supply is back flowing freely but there aren't as many OJ drinkers out there.  so this whole high price thing isn't all good news for the oil companies.

1101702[/snapback]

Wasn't that an Eddie Murphy movie?

That was funny :D:D:D

They stole it from you?

Is this the same logic you so haphazardly apply when it comes to arguing for higher taxes? If the government takes your money, it's legitimate, but if a big corporation does it, yor cry robber baron?

Who told any of you people you have to buy their products? Strap on your Teva sandles and walk, or ride your bikes if you are so concerned about the rising cost of fuel. Buy a hybrid car, take the bus. Just stop complaining! If you stop buying their products, they have no reason or means to stay in business.

And like Az suggested, prices reflect future utilization. You don't buy an item based on how much it cost historically or what benefit it "used" to provide. You buy it for what it will do for you prospectively. And if there is a fear that gas will be in lesser physical supply and/or harder to come by, prices are adjusted accordingly.

How many of you negelcted to take a basic economics course in college?

1101706[/snapback]

Good rationalizations here.

Comparing a corporation taking advantage of a situation and the gov raising taxes is not the point. I think our taxes are too high, but i do understand what they provide.

If Exxon's price gouging is your way of justifying "future utilization", then why are the prices this morning at the pump back down to $1.39? Kinda fast to come back down isn't it?

Your right professor, supply and demand drive price. Thanks for the lesson.

My problem is when there is a disater like Katrina, the gov on the state levels can prosecute grocery stores & lumber yards for raising the price of milk & plywood, but its just dandy for the oil companies to stick it to us.

There a alot of lower income people that live on tight budgets that over time may be able to adjust to the cost of living. They can't absorb a 100%+ markup based on speculation.

The oil company's making these insane profits is not good for the country.  However, this is the bed the left and the enviro's have made.

There is no actual free market in the oil business, with the stiffled growth imposed by lawyers, and the consolidation of recent years, we are at the whim.

Remove these silly dam gasoline blends, give out refining patents to whomever wants them, open up ANWR rayt@rds, put platforms off the coasts, and we are good.

There is no shortage of oil, there is more than we can use for 100 years or more, no problem.

New evidence shows that oil is in fact not even fossil fuels, and that there is much more of it than we know about.

1101703[/snapback]

:D There's actually some good info here. :D

I'll be right back, I'm gogin to go pour a gallon of Minute Maid in my gas tank...

So it is just a coincidence that before we even knew how bad the damage from Katrina was, gas prices skyrocketed and Exxon just happend to turn a $10,000,000,000.00 profit that quaret despite all the damage to their refineries? 

That's what yer selling, coincidence?

1101735[/snapback]

god you're f'ing dense. one more time. yes, gas prices went up "before we even knew how bad the damage was". that is exactly my point. there's a big f'n hurricane (or two) parked just off the drilling and refining hub of the country, and the market tends to assume the worst. this is exactly what i've said 3 times now. to the extent reality is anything less damaging to their supply capabilities than the market's worst fears, then the suppliers are going to reap a short term boost in profits. and really, energy companies HAVE to err on that side of the speculation game because if they err on the other side and anticipate too little disruption in their supply capabilities, then you end up with shortages, gas lines and the like, which would REALLY be bad for the economy and the everyday consumer.

but rather than try and understand how the market works and why, let's just get all indignant and say they're stealing :D

god you're f'ing dense.  one more time.  yes, gas prices went up "before we even knew how bad the damage was".  that is exactly my point.  there's a big f'n hurricane (or two) parked just off the drilling and refining hub of the country, and the market tends to assume the worst.  this is exactly what i've said 3 times now.  to the extent reality is anything less damaging to their supply capabilities than the market's worst fears, then the suppliers are going to reap a short term boost in profits.  and really, energy companies HAVE to err on that side of the speculation game because if they err on the other side and anticipate too little disruption in their supply capabilities, then you end up with shortages, gas lines and the like, which would REALLY be bad for the economy and the everyday consumer.

but rather than try and understand how the market works and why, let's just get all indignant and say they're stealing :D

1101815[/snapback]

Who drove up the price of gas as Katrina approached? Exxon or the markets?