[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cpep's future?

alexgaddis

What do you think will happen to Culpepper's career?

Personally, I think he may have played his last down for the Vikings...they have to go into next year with a plan B as they cannot wait for mid-season to see if he will be ready...and even before the injury he wasn't having a good year...

As a Vikings fan I have seen him have a few great years but this injury may be a great excuse to go in a new direction as he looked LOST this year...

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see him in a Vikes uni,However,he may not have a major role in it come next season.A trade may be possible although I feel they should sit on him bolster there o line and the supporting cast around and re evaluate from there...jmo..

Lets see there are maybe 6-7 quality NFL Qbs in the league, and the Vikes are going to give up on one of them.  Hey I know The Vikes brass are complete morons, but I dont see them letting Culpepper,  their best player walk.

1153263[/snapback]

He certainly didn't look like their best player throwing 15 Ints and fumbling all over the place...he was afraid to chuck it downfield...

I just don't see how the Vikes can wait for two years to see if Cpep can improve...

He certainly didn't look like their best player throwing 15 Ints and fumbling all over the place...he was afraid to chuck it downfield...

I just don't see how the Vikes can wait for two years to see if Cpep can improve...

1153302[/snapback]

Can you say 'O' line...The mere fact that he was under pressure 95 percent of the snaps,He had no legit WR to key on,at times no running game 8-9 men in the box..You would throw 15 plus ints too.....Vikes need to make improvements all around then pass the buck if that doesnt work jmo..

I'm sure some actual Vikes fans could provide better insight, but they traded a primary piece away, lost the OC, a pro bowl center, and I believe there were several other O-line players playing through some injuries as well. I think it's short sighted to lay this all on Culpepper. A shakeup in the coaching staff including hiring a real OC along with the return of injured players should give Culpepper a chance to regain his place among the QBs in the league. They would be nuts to throw in the towel on this guy. The real question is how quickly will he be able to rehab and will he be able to run like he did before.

I'm sure some actual Vikes fans could provide better insight, but they traded a primary piece away, lost the OC, a pro bowl center, and I believe there were several other O-line players playing through some injuries as well.  I think it's short sighted to lay this all on Culpepper.  A shakeup in the coaching staff including hiring a real OC along with the return of injured players should give Culpepper a chance to regain his place among the QBs in the league.  They would be nuts to throw in the towel on this guy.  The real question is how quickly will he be able to rehab and will he be able to run like he did before.

1153371[/snapback]

I am not saying its all his fault, I am asking if you can wait a full two years to see if he can return to form (form before this year)...you can't throw in the towel next year to wait can you?

I am not saying its all his fault, I am asking if you can wait a full two years to see if he can return to form (form before this year)...you can't throw in the towel next year to wait can you?

1153376[/snapback]

Well I guess it depends on his timetable. They currently have a veteran QB (not sure of his contract status for next year) so, if they can solve some other problems and C-Pep can return by mid-season, I'm sure they will give him a chance. Sure, it could lead to a controversy next year if the fill-in is playing lights out, but he's talented enough to take the risk, in my opinion.

Lets see there are maybe 6-7 quality NFL Qbs in the league, and the Vikes are going to give up on one of them.  Hey I know The Vikes brass are complete morons, but I dont see them letting Culpepper,  their best player walk.

1153263[/snapback]

Yep. He may have had an awful half-season, but Daunte has also had three or four very good ones before it. Even when Moss was out last year, he played pretty well overall. We're not talking about Joey Harrington here.

I am almost positive that Zygi cleans house. No more Tice, no more Cully. Probably different Coordinators, because lets face it, both the Offense and the Defense are under achieving like crazy. I say they can get all sorts of loot for Cully, in a place like HOU or Oak. they'd give their right arm for a good QB. HOU will probably be able to get Leinart, but any other team like BAL, or OAK would love to have a proven NFL QB, and he'll be cheap after this years performance and w/ the injury. Moss probably would feel bitter/sweet about it. Cully back? but a QB that can get him the ball? :D

edit: cheap as in his salary, but the Vikes would get alot in trade for him. it's a good combo for someone of his caliber.

Edited by LooGie

How does it make sense for them to ditch culpepper? who are they gonna have play qb? Brad Johnson? Gus Frerotte? Don't see it happening.

1153548[/snapback]

This is kind of the question here, they aren't just going to drop the guy but maybe they need to make a plan B...unless they are content to use Brad until the middle of next year...

This is kind of the question here, they aren't just going to drop the guy but maybe they need to make a plan B...unless they are content to use Brad until the middle of next year...

1153560[/snapback]

I don't put all the blame on Culpepper for the Vikes season. it was a team effort. just like his good seasons were nothing more than a team effort.

The guy would probably get you alot more than he is worth if you traded him. If I am the Vikes I would see what was offered.

I don't put all the blame on Culpepper for the Vikes season. it was a team effort. just like his good seasons were nothing more than a team effort.

The guy would probably get you alot more than he is worth if you traded him. If I am the Vikes I would see what was offered.

1153580[/snapback]

I guess thats what I am saying...I don't know if he really is a top 5 QB in this league or not...I would rather start out next year with someone like Rivers and go in a new direction...

I don't see why the Vikings would get rid of him, unless they plan on drafting a QB or acquiring one via trade.

Maybe Denny Green would want him in Arizona, make it a 3 way trade with SD shipping Rivers to Minny. I think I heard a rumor of that about 3 weeks ago, seems like a very interesting scenario although I doubt it happens. I am sure Denny would love to have Culpepper down there in Arizona though.

I say they can get all sorts of loot for Cully, in a place like HOU or Oak. they'd give their right arm for a good QB. HOU will probably be able to get Leinart, but any other team like BAL, or OAK would love to have a proven NFL QB, and he'll be cheap after this years performance and w/ the injury. Moss probably would feel bitter/sweet about it. Cully back? but a QB that can get him the ball? :D

edit: cheap as in his salary, but the Vikes would get alot in trade for him. it's a good combo for someone of his caliber.

1153428[/snapback]

There is no way in hell that Houston either A)trades for Culpepper or B)drafts Leinart. The Texans GM should've been fired by now for not addressing the offensive line in the draft and free agency and you can bet that will be their priority in the off season regardless of who is calling the shots.

As far as Oakland, rumors are flying about Norv Turner being on the way out so if that is the case Collins will probably get atleast another year to prove he is not the problem. With the exeption of a couple of games (including last Sundays) he has not been that bad. Just my $.02

I am almost positive that Zygi cleans house. No more Tice, no more Cully. Probably different Coordinators, because lets face it, both the Offense and the Defense are under achieving like crazy. I say they can get all sorts of loot for Cully, in a place like HOU or Oak. they'd give their right arm for a good QB. HOU will probably be able to get Leinart, but any other team like BAL, or OAK would love to have a proven NFL QB, and he'll be cheap after this years performance and w/ the injury. Moss probably would feel bitter/sweet about it. Cully back? but a QB that can get him the ball? :D

1153428[/snapback]

The Texans are due to pay Carr an $8 million bonus to keep him for another 2 years by the end of the year. There is no doubt in any of the local pundits minds that this will be paid. The Texans will NOT draft a QB early. I would however swap you Carr for CPep...

I guess thats what I am saying...I don't know if he really is a top 5 QB in this league or not...I would rather start out next year with someone like Rivers and go in a new direction...

1153589[/snapback]

I never thought he was a top 5 QB when he had the best stats of any QB in the league (which I believe he did 3 times). His decision making against good teams was horrible and he would put up performances against those good teams like he has consistantly put up this year(before being injured).

If I was the Vikes I would keep Brad Johnson around and then sign another QB in free agency. IMO you should never take QB early in the 1st round. they rarely pan out, and by the time they do pan out (if they do)they are up for contract negotiations and you have to overpay them.

The Texans are due to pay Carr an $8 million bonus to keep him for another 2 years by the end of the year. There is no doubt in any of the local pundits minds that this will be paid. The Texans will NOT draft a QB early. I would however swap you Carr for CPep...

1153649[/snapback]

IMO if you give Carr a line he becomes a star. I would not let go of Carr if I am Houston. considering the circumstances he has played under I think he has done well, and he has stayed healthy. something QB's with much better lines cannot seem to do.

1153589[/snapback]

Why would you want to dump Culpepper, who has played a high level for several seasons and is still young, for someone like Rivers who hasn't even proven that he can be a competent NFL starter? So what if Culpepper isn't a Top 5 QB? He's almost certainly in the Top 10. For all we know, Rivers could be the next Cade McNown. And it's not like good NFL QBs grow on trees.

And why would the Vikings want to dump their only marquee player? Take Culpepper away, and what do you think happens to ticket and merchandise sales? It's not like the Falcons are going to dump Vick anytime soon (even if he isn't really that good) because he puts butts in the seats and sells spamshirts.

Why would you want to dump Culpepper, who has played a high level for several seasons and is still young, for someone like Rivers who hasn't even proven that he can be a competent NFL starter?  So what if Culpepper isn't a Top 5 QB?  He's almost certainly in the Top 10.  For all we know, Rivers could be the next Cade McNown.  And it's not like good NFL QBs grow on trees.

And why would the Vikings want to dump their only marquee player?  Take Culpepper away, and what do you think happens to ticket and merchandise sales?  It's not like the Falcons are going to dump Vick anytime soon (even if he isn't really that good) because he puts butts in the seats and sells spamshirts.

1153796[/snapback]

I agree that he is a good marketing tool. as far as winning goes, it seems the Vikes do not miss him at all in that department.

I agree on the Rivers statement. who knows if he will ever be decent. but I guarentee you can find a decent QB in free agency.

EDIT: for a much better price than Rivers at that.

Edited by Doc Holliday