[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cpep's future?

alexgaddis

I agree that he is a good marketing tool. as far as winning goes, it seems the Vikes do not miss him at all in that department.

I agree on the Rivers statement. who knows if he will ever be decent. but I guarentee you can find a decent QB in free agency.

EDIT: for a much better price than Rivers at that.

1153810[/snapback]

It would be different if he would be ready for training camp next year...but by missing all of camp and half the season, it's tough to go into next season with a back-up just waiting for Cully to get back..

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no way in hell that Houston either A)trades for Culpepper or B)drafts Leinart.  The Texans GM should've been fired by now for not addressing the offensive line in the draft and free agency and you can bet that will be their priority in the off season regardless of who is calling the shots.

As far as Oakland, rumors are flying about Norv Turner being on the way out so if that is the case Collins will probably get atleast another year to prove he is not the problem.  With the exeption of a couple of games (including last Sundays) he has not been that bad.  Just my $.02

1153616[/snapback]

why wouldn't HOU trade for a good QB? I agree, Carr is not the problem there, but lets face, he's not part of the solution either. And that's not even taking into account his contract might be up at the end of this season. I'm predicting Mike Martz as the HOU HC and EITHER Cully or T.O. a Texan next year.

IMO if you give Carr a line he becomes a star. I would not let go of Carr if I am Houston. considering the circumstances he has played under I think he has done well, and he has stayed healthy. something QB's with much better lines cannot seem to do.

1153694[/snapback]

i agree with that. Alot. I'm just taking into account that a new HC tends to want to clean house. I do believe if Carr does leave, he'll be a good starter in the NFL. He's always smiling, always happy-go-lucky. Can't find that very often in this day.

Why would you want to dump Culpepper, who has played a high level for several seasons and is still young, for someone like Rivers who hasn't even proven that he can be a competent NFL starter?  So what if Culpepper isn't a Top 5 QB?  He's almost certainly in the Top 10.  For all we know, Rivers could be the next Cade McNown.  And it's not like good NFL QBs grow on trees.

And why would the Vikings want to dump their only marquee player?  Take Culpepper away, and what do you think happens to ticket and merchandise sales?  It's not like the Falcons are going to dump Vick anytime soon (even if he isn't really that good) because he puts butts in the seats and sells spamshirts.

1153796[/snapback]

yah, like Moss? :D

I agree on the Rivers statement. who knows if he will ever be decent. but I guarentee you can find a decent QB in free agency.

EDIT: for a much better price than Rivers at that.

1153810[/snapback]

Who? How many years did it take Parcells to find a decent QB on the free-agent market? :D

yah, like Moss? :D

1153854[/snapback]

Yah, and look how well that offense has done without Moss.

Yah, and look how well that offense has done without Moss.

1153919[/snapback]

uh my point was he puts butts in the seats, and they dumped him. the exact opposite of what you said they would ever do with a franchise player like that who puts butts in the seats. :rolleyes right back at you:

uh my point was he puts butts in the seats, and they dumped him. the exact opposite of what you said they would ever do with a franchise player like that who puts butts in the seats. :rolleyes right back at you:

1153955[/snapback]

Moss was a cancer on the team. None of the star veterans (C-Pep, Birk, etc.) liked him. That's not the type of guy who's going to be the "franchise player". Daunte is.

Moss was a cancer on the team.  None of the star veterans (C-Pep, Birk, etc.) liked him.  That's not the type of guy who's going to be the "franchise player".  Daunte is.

1153987[/snapback]

hrmmm...he put butts in the seat. he sold spamshirts. that's what you said they wouldn't trade away. I was just saying, yes they would, and have. btw, Daunte was on those boats also.

hrmmm...he put butts in the seat. he sold spamshirts. that's what you said they wouldn't trade away.

1153995[/snapback]

Sure, at the expense of harboring a cancer in the locker room and a criminal off the field. How many times has Daunte been arrested? :D

Comparing Culpepper to Moss is like comparing McNabb to T.O. They'll keep Culpepper because (1) he's a very good QB, (2) good NFL QBs are in short supply, (3) he represents the organization well, and (4) he's the only marketable star left on the team.

Sure, at the expense of harboring a cancer in the locker room and a criminal off the field.  How many times has Daunte been arrested?  :D

Comparing Culpepper to Moss is like comparing McNabb to T.O.  They'll keep Culpepper because (1) he's a very good QB, (2) good NFL QBs are in short supply, (3) he represents the organization well, and (4) he's the only marketable star left on the team.

1154016[/snapback]

You know, I actually agree with you, but the Vikings and the NFL do very little to market Duante. At least that is my peception living in the Twin Cities.

Culpepper will remain a Vike, like it or not. He's liked, he's good in the community. He's shown bigtime talent in the past

I don't think he'll ever win a SB, put some good pressure on him and you'll see him crack. He is incredibly accurate though, I'll give him that.

Denny Green used him best in his first season of play. Max protect him, run the ball effectively. I think he was 13-3 that year, made the playoffs. Pretty impressive in his first year of play.

Once that oline fell apart, Peppa suddenly was a loser. Minny just doesn't use him right and it pains me being a Vikes fan

Extremely gifted physically, but I just don't see the mental side to his game being able to take the Vikings all the way. A common argument at work over what the Vikings should do with Culpepper. I think they stuck way too much money into a guy who isn't a winner. More gifted than a guy like Brady, but not a winner. Very tough decision; how do you let a guy with that much ability go? And don't compare to Moss; very different situation.

A good coaching staff should find ways to use him correctly, limit what he's not as good at. Good coaching can teach offbeat players like Plummer to learn the value of protecting the ball, surely Culpepper can do so. It isn't like he's a volatile personality to deal with, he's a good kid. I still have hope for him

Go get yourself a good coach Zygi, I'll be rooting for you

Sure, at the expense of harboring a cancer in the locker room and a criminal off the field.  How many times has Daunte been arrested?   :D

Comparing Culpepper to Moss is like comparing McNabb to T.O.  They'll keep Culpepper because (1) he's a very good QB, (2) good NFL QBs are in short supply, (3) he represents the organization well, and (4) he's the only marketable star left on the team.

1154016[/snapback]

now this statement is very good. You proved your point very well. However, there's a new owner in town, and Cully, flat out sucked anus this year. No way around it. They're underachieving like crazy, and now with Brad Johnson, they're winning. Cully obviously is not that good w/o the criminal. it's PAINFULLY obvious this year. But i do agree with Cully being the only marketable star left, however, I don't think he'll have the same appeal after such a sucky ass season, and then being gone for basically 2 seasons. And they could easily get another star franchise player in a trade. Maybe a star RB or the like.

Edited by LooGie

A good coaching staff should find ways to use him correctly, limit what he's not as good at.  Good coaching can teach offbeat players like Plummer to learn the value of protecting the ball, surely Culpepper can do so.  It isn't like he's a volatile personality to deal with, he's a good kid.  I still have hope for him

Go get yourself a good coach Zygi, I'll be rooting for you

1154086[/snapback]

if Zygi gives whatever new HC all the power, then, I'd agree that a new HC would be giddy as a schoolgirl to be able to have a QB of that caliber on his new team. If Zygi keeps power, I see a new QB in town, no doubt.

now this statement is very good. You proved your point very well.  However, there's a new owner in town, and Cully, flat out sucked anus this year. No way around it.

1154131[/snapback]

Yep, he sucked the first half of this season. Then again, so did McNabb two years ago.

Even good QBs have bad half-seasons. I'd wait until C-Pep had another bad half-season before I'd even think of getting rid of him. QBs that are able to be successful NFL starters aren't exactly a dime a dozen.

Yep, he sucked the first half of this season.  Then again, so did McNabb two years ago.

Even good QBs have bad half-seasons.  I'd wait until C-Pep had another bad half-season before I'd even think of getting rid of him.  QBs that are able to be successful NFL starters aren't exactly a dime a dozen.

1154135[/snapback]

yah but dude, he's going to have a bad FULL SEASON, because he's hurt. the NFL and the fans are "what have you done for me lately" and a new owner, and an impending new HC will be anxious to make waves and create that spark the Vikes lost this year. And Cully won't be back until mid next season, so it'll be another bad season for him. It's a sad situation for him. he's a good guy and deserves to be a franchise player. If a new HC comes to town, and actually gets all the power that Tice could never have, then Culpepper stays.

1) CPepper is hurt and may never be the same player again.

2) CPepper, if he is able to recover, won't be healthy enough to start playing until Oct'06...and won't be "game ready" until NFL week 15, 16 or 17 of next year...which means, that in all probability, he won't see any time next year either unless MIN is out of the playoffs (or has home field locked up) by that time.

3) New ownership at other franchises have done less dramatic things in the past than trade the current high quality QB to someone else (or cut him outright).

4) New coaches at other franchises have done less dramatic things in the past than trade the current high quality QB to someone else (or cut him outright).

5) MIN made quite a few good moves on the defensive side of the ball last off season.

6) MIN lost their All-Pro center before the season started...and, no one really knows how he'll recover either.

...frankly, there is too much uncertain to really be able to conclude anything...except that no one (including Zygi) REALLY knows what path MIN will pursue at the end of the day...

That said, I do expect MIN to be very active this offseason in the front office, in the coaching ranks, in free agency and draft-time trades.

Dumping that momo Tice would be the best thing that the Vikes could do to improve their team. As for CPep, I say give him a year or two to see if he can turn things around with a better/healthy OL.

I don't think that you will see anymore of those 450 yard rushing/5 rushing TD seasons from CPep though :D

yah but dude, he's going to have a bad FULL SEASON, because he's hurt.

1154142[/snapback]

Funny, I seem to remember Dan Marino playing only 5 games in '93 due to injury and then throwing for 4,400 yds and 30 TDs the following season. :D

the NFL and the fans are "what have you done for me lately"

Right, they can just dump C-Pep because effective NFL QBs grow on trees. :D

OK, so who replaces Culpepper? I challenge you to name one better option that they'd have a realistic shot of acquiring next year. Outside of Brees (who SD will probably re-sign), I can't think of anyone.

Culpepper is the next Kurt Warner IMO. Once he comes back, there will be a lot of excitement to see if he can produce again, but a lot of what made Culpepper special (and was conspicuously missing this year) was his ability to pull down the ball and run when nobody was open. I don't see him coming back from this injury and having the same confidence to do the things that made him a good QB.

He'll have some mediocre games the second half of next season, then the Vikes will cut him, then he'll end up somewhere like Detroit based upon his name, where he will continue to suck for a year or two before fading into obscurity forever.

Culpepper is the next Kurt Warner IMO.  Once he comes back, there will be a lot of excitement to see if he can produce again, but a lot of what made Culpepper special (and was conspicuously missing this year) was his ability to pull down the ball and run when nobody was open.  I don't see him coming back from this injury and having the same confidence to do the things that made him a good QB.

He'll have some mediocre games the second half of next season, then the Vikes will cut him, then he'll end up somewhere like Detroit based upon his name, where he will continue to suck for a year or two before fading into obscurity forever.

1155200[/snapback]

I may be proven wrong about this in the future, but I just don't see C-Pep's career going down the tubes just yet. Yeah, he had a bad first half and then tore up his knee. Big deal. He's lost his best WR, a couple Pro Bowl offensive linemen, and his offensive coordinator recently.

Look at what he did just a year ago: 69%, 4,700 yds, 39 TDs, 11 INTs. And that was without a healthy Moss for a good portion of the year. Do you think that even an "average" NFL QB could put up those numbers? Even with Moss AND Porter on his team, Collins won't even come close.

Culpepper is the next Kurt Warner IMO.  Once he comes back, there will be a lot of excitement to see if he can produce again, but a lot of what made Culpepper special (and was conspicuously missing this year) was his ability to pull down the ball and run when nobody was open.  I don't see him coming back from this injury and having the same confidence to do the things that made him a good QB.

1155200[/snapback]

Honestly, I agree...He just doesn't have the winning mentality and that goes alot farther than Raw Talent...

Compare Brady and Brooks to figure that out..

Funny, I seem to remember Dan Marino playing only 5 games in '93 due to injury and then throwing for 4,400 yds and 30 TDs the following season.  :D

Right, they can just dump C-Pep because effective NFL QBs grow on trees.  :D

OK, so who replaces Culpepper?  I challenge you to name one better option that they'd have a realistic shot of acquiring next year.  Outside of Brees (who SD will probably re-sign), I can't think of anyone.

1155081[/snapback]

man, you're dense. I'm not saying he'll suck next year if he plays a whole year. I'm saying he'll suck next year because HE'LL BE GONE FOR THE FIRST HALF. Try and stick with me here.

Who care who replaces Culpepper, maybe freaking Rivers, and a BAD ASS RUNNING BACK. The point isn't about who replaces Culpepper, it's about management going in a new direction since their franchise "star" will be coming off a horrible first half of 05' season, and the couch for the next 12 months... leading up and straight through 06' training camp, pre-season, and OH YAH...WEEKS 1-8 probably.