[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Wine of the week

Bier Meister

how do want to do it?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. how do want to do it?

• 1. varietal (grape)
    • 2. country
    • 3. region

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we will be drinking Shiraz this Thursday (tomorrow)  Keep checking back for the actual wines and time.

1273764[/snapback]

Sounds good. :thumbup:

Anyone ever had the Morrison Lane Syrah from K Vintners? :drool:

Sounds good.  :thumbup:

Anyone ever had the Morrison Lane Syrah from K Vintners?  :drool:

1273775[/snapback]

Never had it, but someday maybe I'll have to try it.

(I just checked and I think it is a fair bit out of our price range for our tasting series. We try to stay under $15 per wine--and in fact, I think we generally average well under that--last week for example we had a $15 wine and a $9 wine; the week before that we had a $10 wine and a $13 wine.)

Usual time (10:00 EST) in the chat-room (aka, "the pub").

I will post the exact wines that we will be drinking later today. (I'll stop by a wine store or two on my way home and see what looks good.)

Current wines under consideration are:

Rosemount Shiraz

d'Arenberg Footbolt Shiraz

Greg Norman Estates Limestone Coast Shiraz 2003

McGuigin Shiraz

Jacob's Creek Shiraz

The Wishing Tree Shiraz 2004

(final selection will depend upon prices and expected availability)

Edit to add: Final Selections have been bolded (please note the vintage on the Greg Norman)

Edited by wiegie

That Wishing Tree Shiraz is a personal favorite of mine but I've only tried one other off that list(Jacob's Creek Shiraz another good one), I'm cool with trying something else.  Are the others just as good from a value perspective?

1273835[/snapback]

Yes

That Wishing Tree Shiraz is a personal favorite of mine but I've only tried one other off that list(Jacob's Creek Shiraz another good one), I'm cool with trying something else.  Are the others just as good from a value perspective?

1273835[/snapback]

the greg norman is on some top 100 list (was it wine spectator?) at like 13 bucks. the mcguigan is a very good wine in that price range as well. i think the footbolt may be closer to $20 or 25... :D

the greg norman is on some top 100 list (was it wine spectator?) at like 13 bucks.  the mcguigan is a very good wine in that price range as well.  i think the footbolt may be closer to $20 or 25... :D

1273869[/snapback]

I'm gonna try a bottle of the Norman in the near future if that's not the one that picked. Thanks for the info, btw how much does it cost to subscribe to Wine Spectator?

the greg norman is on some top 100 list (was it wine spectator?) at like 13 bucks.  the mcguigan is a very good wine in that price range as well.  i think the footbolt may be closer to $20 or 25... :D

1273869[/snapback]

The Norman was #58 on the WS top-100 list and I am leaning towards using it. I've seen the Footbolt for around $15 sometimes, but it might get booted for costing too much. I've never seen the McGuigan so I don't know if we have it around here.

(I even saw that "The Little Penguin" Shiraz had a 86 rating from WS. At less than $8 a bottle, this might even make my list. maybe.)

Edited by wiegie

I'm gonna try a bottle of the Norman in the near future if that's not the one that picked.  Thanks for the info, btw how much does it cost to subscribe to Wine Spectator?

1273883[/snapback]

If I remember correctly it's around $45 a year. I usually bundle it together with a few other subscriptions of WS which I give out as gifts to family so it may be lower.

The Norman was #58 on the WS top-100 list and I am leaning towards using it.  I've seen the Footbolt for around $15 sometimes, but it might get booted for costing too much.  I've never seen the McGuigan so I don't know if we have it around here.

(I even saw that "The Little Penguin" Shiraz had a 86 rating from WS.  At less than $8 a bottle, this might even make my list.  maybe.)

1273893[/snapback]

I see that Little Penguin stuff everywhere, I'll pick a bottle up next time.

I went shopping and here are the wines:

My shopping notes:

I first went to Cost-Plus, World Market and saw that they had the Wishing Tree for $10. They also had the d-Arenberg Footbolt (2001) on sale for $15, as well as the Rosemount on sale for $7. They had no Greg Norman. I noted their choices and then went across the street to my favorite wine store to see what they had. They had the Wishing Tree on sale for $9 (down from their normal $11.50) so I grabbed it and decided that would be wine #1. They were out of the Greg Norman and I saw no Footbolt. I decided to go to the grocery store since I was pretty sure that they would have the Greg Norman there. They did have it and it was on-sale for $12.50 (down from about $15 normally). The only problem is that it is the 2002 vintage that made WS top 100 list and the grocery store has the 2003 vintage. Oh well, I decide, we can still go with the Greg Norman and see how it tastes anyway. (It is likely that most people wouldn't be able to get the '02 anymore anyway). I apologize to Az that I couldn't match up vintages for him.

How does this sound?

Edited by wiegie

Greg Normal Estates Limestone Coast Shiraz 2003

My shopping notes:

I first went to Cost-Plus, World Market and saw that they had the Wishing Tree for $10.  They also had the d-Arenberg Footbolt (2001) on sale for $15, as well as the Rosemount on sale for $7.  They had no Greg Normal.  I noted their choices and then went across the street to my favorite wine store to see what they had.  They had the Wishing Tree on sale for $9 (down from their normal $11.50) so I grabbed it and decided that would be wine #1.  They were out of the Greg Norman and I saw no Footbolt.  I decided to go to the grocery store since I was pretty sure that they would have the Greg Norman there.  They did have and it was on-sale for $12.50 (down from about $15 normally).  The only problem is that it is the 2002 vintage that made WS top 100 list.  Oh well, I decide, we can still go with the Greg Norman and see how it tastes anyway.  (It is likely that most people wouldn't be able to get the '02 anymore anyway).  I apologize to Az that I couldn't match up vintages for him.

How does this sound?

1274229[/snapback]

Works for me.

Never had it, but someday maybe I'll have to try it.

(I just checked and I think it is a fair bit out of our price range for our tasting series.  We try to stay under $15 per wine--and in fact, I think we generally average well under that--last week for example we had a $15 wine and a $9 wine; the week before that we had a $10 wine and a $13 wine.)

1273801[/snapback]

I wasn't suggesting it for this. . .it's a special occasion sort of wine - but if you like that varietal, you can't go wrong. It's amazing.

My shopping notes:

I first went to Cost-Plus, World Market and saw that they had the Wishing Tree for $10.  They also had the d-Arenberg Footbolt (2001) on sale for $15, as well as the Rosemount on sale for $7.  They had no Greg Norman.  I noted their choices and then went across the street to my favorite wine store to see what they had.  They had the Wishing Tree on sale for $9 (down from their normal $11.50) so I grabbed it and decided that would be wine #1.  They were out of the Greg Norman and I saw no Footbolt.  I decided to go to the grocery store since I was pretty sure that they would have the Greg Norman there.  They did have it and it was on-sale for $12.50 (down from about $15 normally).  The only problem is that it is the 2002 vintage that made WS top 100 list and the grocery store has the 2003 vintage.  Oh well, I decide, we can still go with the Greg Norman and see how it tastes anyway.  (It is likely that most people wouldn't be able to get the '02 anymore anyway).  I apologize to Az that I couldn't match up vintages for him.

How does this sound?

1274229[/snapback]

I found the Greg Norman for $15.

Still looking for the Wishing Tree.

I found the Greg Norman for $15.

Still looking for the Wishing Tree.

1275097[/snapback]

I just checked the Starr's website and they carry it.

http://www.starrs1.com/starrs/store/comers...?idProduct=5546

Or call the Cost-Plus/World Market in Brentwood and see if they have it.

http://www.worldmarket.com/custserv/store_details.jsp

Edited by wiegie

The Mrs and I may join in. I have been wanting to do this, but it has never worked out schedule wise. What exactly goes on? Also we may have trouble getting the specific wine, I concur with Bier what would be a good alt.