[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Playoff Tie

thesobel

I am the Commish in a league where two teams tied in the first round of the playoffs this week. The league has never set up any criteria for playoff ties. It has guidelines for ties for making the playoffs (but that is when the two teams have the same record). I realize that there is no 'fair' way to deal with thisand someone will get screwed...but...What do some of you guys do with playoff ties??

There are certain rules that differ by league:

1. Higher seed wins a tie (home-field advantage)

2. Score if decimal scoring would have been used. (.1pt/yd instead of 1pt/10yds if league scoring is that way)

3. Total points including bench (not fair in this case as different teams have different bench management strategies)

4. Designated bench tiebreaker player(s). (had to be declared before the game)

5. Total touchdowns scored

6. Most points by the starting QB (or other deginated position player - had to be declared beforehand which position to use)

I would go with 1, then 2 and 5

Edited by Big John

With no rules in place, I say you do the old coin flip!!!! Tough to impose a rule after the game that has to do with roster management and I really don't like the higher seed logic. If anything, the lower seed should advance. Just because you are a higher seed doesn't mean you have a better team. The #1 seed in one of my leagues had the fewest points scored against him. That's how he made it to the playoffs. No sour grapes, but if he played in either other division, he would have been sub 500.

Without rules in place, I like either a coin flip, or pts per reception.

Coin flip is only fair way.

Imposing a rule that uses the season standings is unfair as it was not determined ahead of time.

Same goes for using a stat or player as the determining factor as the games have been played already.

Flip a coin then decide if you want to institute rules starting next week (revolving around game stats, as mentioned above, too late to declare something to do with the season standings) or stick with coin flip as the deciding factor the rest of this year and institute some rules next year.

There are certain rules that differ by league:

1. Higher seed wins a tie (home-field advantage)

2. Score if decimal scoring would have been used. (.1pt/yd instead of 1pt/10yds if league scoring is that way)

3. Total points including bench (not fair in this case as different teams have different bench management strategies)

4. Designated bench tiebreaker player(s). (had to be declared before the game)

5. Total touchdowns scored

6. Most points by the starting QB (or other deginated position player - had to be declared beforehand which position to use)

I would go with 1, then 2 and 5

1209879[/snapback]

I would go with Big John's Second suggestion. After all, they are truly the higher scoring team...