[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Dolphins

Duchess Jack

What are everyone thoughts on this Miami Dolphin team?

Firstly, playoffs or not – I am way happy. I was not a Saban believer when we first hired him – but I am fully in his camp now. We've just won four in a row - in December (not all in December, but you get the point). We come back in the fourth quarter under adversity (2 Rosenfelds comebacks). We pass when we are up. I have great hopes for next year.

Chambers is finally living up to his potential with mediocre, at best, QBs. The cool think here is that Sage is finally getting some looks and that Frerotte split snaps all training camp. I have to think that one of the two will be the starter next year have a much better handle on the system and players on the team.

Booker and McMichael are great talents that can kill a defense if ignored.

Kendal Newsome is speedy and Wes Welker is the second coming of Chrerbet.

Ronnie Brown is closing in on 1,000 yards (after a slow start and splitting carries) and we also have Ricky. I personally do not think that Ricky is going anywhere. Considering all that has happened, he’s looking pretty dang good. I do not know if a team can offer what he is worth to us. I personally believe that a third would be too low.

Our oline baffles me. The laughing stock of the NFL last year, Hauck (sp?) has them playing like mad men. I can’t wait to see what another quality lineman and another year under Hauck can do for this unit.

Our D line, though long in the tooth is as good as any in the NFL. Age is certainly an issue, but I have hope that Saban will score in the draft more often than not in the next couple years – so hopefully we can begin to fitler in some youth. Who knows – Manny Wright might even live up to his raw potential.

At linebacker, we scored with Channing Crowder. He’s angry and has a motor. Seau says he is coming back and is in the upper half of the linebackers in the league despite his age.

Zach, well Zach is Zach and shows no sign that he will slow down any time soon.

Our biggest problem is our D-Backs.

Tebucky and Schulters are decent safeties and we’ve decent depth.

Our Dbacks suck though. Madison is past his prime and gives up too many big plays. He is a great no2 to have, but not a no 1. Howard needs to be let go. The rookie (davis?) has been decent. I also like Will Poole. He has yet to get on the field as he’s gone on IR each of the last two training camps – but is fast and aggressive. He reminds me a lot of Surtain.

Lastly – special teams. We haven’t had a good return guy in years, until now. Wes Welker is the real deal.

So – with another year under Saban….. a little tweaking in FA …. An olineman, dlineman, CB, and QB (to groom under Frerotte) – I think we were looking at a legit Superbowl contender next year…..

Okay…have at it, haters!!!

Edited by Duchess Jack

Of course one can say Super Bowl is within reach for every team every year but I dunno. The Dolphins are a good team but like you said they have a lot to improve on. I do think they could defintely make the playoffs next year or at least be a challenge within that division.

Ronnie Brown is solid and their receivers are fantastic. The defense needs to play better more often though.

I think Saban is a great coach and I had confidence in him coming to the NFL. With all the young talent he has on that team, Saban is a great motivator and will make his team play hard and give his team a chance to win basically every year.

What pick could the Dolphins have this upcoming draft? This draft will be huge for them next year.

I was discussing this yesterday with my friend (which says alot because I generally don't give two craps about the Dolphins, except that I am Bills fan).

But they are in a good place. If they make the obvious move to deal Ricky, they could end up with lots of talent. You have to wonder what they are going to do at QB, and then you'd have to wonder if Brown can handle a full workload.

But yeah, between the draft and offseason moves, it'll be interesting to see what they walk in to next year with.

The Dolphins are still 2 years away. Saban is definetly the man. As mentioned they still have 2-3 major problems to fill. One year is not enough time to solve all 3. In addition they have played themselves into a second place schedule for next year. They will travel to the likes of Pitt, Indy and Chicago. Also the AFC Least can't be as pathetic as it was this year. I do think this year has been an absolute success. No team should take the Dolphins lightly next year. I say they make the playoffs next year--maybe play spoilers...but don't come close to the SB.

i am so impressed with Saban. he's simply the man, and in my opinion, worthy of a honorable mention in the coach of the year spot. they're supposed to be rebuilding, and ended up with a glimmer of the playoff hunt. impressive indeed.

i personally think Ricky is gone. if he actually came back and blew up, he'd be demanding the starting, featured back role, but he just couldn't pull it off. I think he goes to CAR (because CAR rb's are straight up ass) and gets a nice deal. I was in the MIA boat this year, for sure.

Going from Wannstadt to Saban has been a God send for us Dolphin fans. I can't even remember when the Dophins actually won December games.

Their biggest acquisition last off season was signing Hudson Houck who has turned a bad Oline into one that is playing very well right now. I'm excited what this team can do once Saban has TWO more drafts. Last year he struck gold with Crowder, Roth and Daniels. Manny Wright who we basically gave up our 5th round pick is starting to show signs. He has come a long way from when he broke down crying in training camp.

I see the Dolphins picking anywhere from 15-20. I pray they get to take the LT out of Georgia . . . Max Jean-Gilles(sp?). I also wouldn't be upset if they draft Jay Cutler. Michael Huff would look very good at Safety for them. I don't see them drafting a QB in the 1st round.

Ricky isn't going anywhere. I like what he brings to the team. To the Dolphins he's worth so much more than a 3rd round pick.

Somehow they need to find a QB, CB's and start to get a little younger on the Dline.

Ricky isn't going anywhere. I like what he brings to the team. To the Dolphins he's worth so much more than a 3rd round pick.

1227146[/snapback]

Can't help but disagree with this outlook. Ya it's great having two starter quality backs, but I think he could bring possibly as high as a 2nd rounder which could be spent on another "need" position. Even if it's a somethig like a 3rd and a 5th or something in that neighborhood, I think the Dolphins do make a deal to parlay Ricky into some other starters and hand the reins to Ronnie.

Just my $.02.

Can't help but disagree with this outlook. Ya it's great having two starter quality backs, but I think he could bring possibly as high as a 2nd rounder which could be spent on another "need" position. Even if it's a somethig like a 3rd and a 5th or something in that neighborhood, I think the Dolphins do make a deal to parlay Ricky into some other starters and hand the reins to Ronnie.

Just my $.02.

1227157[/snapback]

I would trade him in a heartbeat for a 2nd. I'd even take a 3rd and 4th. The problem is, there'll be a lot of backs hitting the market this year with far less baggage. We've dealt with the baggage and having done that - he seems to have more value to us.

Wasn't just last year that Alexander and James could be had for a second (third even). I think a third is even a stretch. The team would have to be desperate.

Just my $.02.

1227157[/snapback]

Ricky is one positive drug test away from a year long suspension.

Everyone knows that he could wake up one morning and decide to tour the country smoking bud in a VW bus.

The Dolphins own his rights for the next 2 years at a very reasonable cost.

Fantasy aside, I like what Denver & Atlanta do with their RB's. I see Saban doing the same and keeping both fresh or as insurance policies should one get hurt.

IMO . . that is why he's worth so much more to the Dolphins than a 3rd rd pick.

There's more good news for the Dolphins . . .

They are in great shape with the salary cap next year. Wannstadt with his stupid trades (AJ Feely) and ridiculous contracts are a thing of the past.

• 3 weeks later...

Kendall Newsom is no longer with the team. He received an injury settlement and was released.

Miami certainly has optimism for next year and their passing offense has never looked better in spite of sub-standard QBs. Only concern I would have is that Scott Linehan was the OC last year and already is being talked up as a HC candidate. He brought the MIN style of offense to town last year and it would be a shame to see him leave so quickly.