[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Johnny Damon

Mr. Pennypacker

the sox lit dotel up on back to back days in may last year....he throws hard..but hes a hit or miss guy if his fastball isnt moving...anyway, i think his acquisition by the yankees will have little effect on the 06 season...hes got months of rehab ahead

as far as johnny

as johnny requested, ill remeber the world series...ill how he lead off game 7 of the 04 alcs with a base knock...moved to 2nd and was thrown out at home after manny ripped a basehit.....ill never as long as im alive forget that feeling when he took javy vazquez deep....it was that moment i knew

ill remember his hustle....how he saved schill in tampa this year catching a ball off the wall in the bottom of the ninth, in a tie game, with two outs and the runners off with the pitch....and how he leadoff the top of the 10th with the game winning homerun

but ive got to believe...he wasnt really in the red sox plans...especially at that price....as theyve been incquiring about several centerfielders over the last month or so

so be it

im not one of those sox fans who tries to put a positive spin on everything

but im glad the sox stuck to their guns...kind of like with pedro last year....they do not seem to fear a backlash from the fans when they let a star walk....they havent compromised the integrity of their future payroll by caving

they laid down what johnny was worth to them...and stuck to it...using the free agent philosophy that theo had installed

they laid down what johnny was worth to them...and stuck to it...using the free agent philosophy that theo had installed

1229979[/snapback]

And so far... it's worked. Maybe they can use that extra money on a higher quality shortstop. I don't know who's available.

everybody forget that the sox spent their first 1st rounder in june on jacoby ellsbury....who is basically a johnny damon clone

the kid stole 23 bases in 35 games in class A lowell...hit 317 also....give the guy a full year next year in the minors...hell probably be ready for the big leagues in a year

heres a little info on him

Born: September 11, 1983

Madras, OR

Height: 6-1

Weight: 190

Bats: Left

Throws: Left

Drafted: 1st round, 2005

How Acquired: Draft

College: Oregon State

High School: Madras (OR)

ETA: mid-2007 Scouting Report: Ellsbury was on of the best players in the NCAA in 2005. He is very fast, plays excellent defense, and has shown a great ability to get on base. Decent gap power for a centerfielder who projects as a lead-off hitter. Has often been compared to Johnny Damon. Also said to be a team leader.

News Archive

Red Sox Nation - Ellsbury Interview

Awards

Red Sox Minor League Base Stealer of the Month (Jul. 2005)

whats the point of overpaying for johnny, when they drafted this kid with johnny in mind

i dunno whats so funny

the sox laid down what theyd pay..just like they did with pedro...u dont want it...walk....we aint compromising our financial philosophy for anyone...and the front office doesnt fear in and cave for any feared backlash by the fans...4x10 is what johnny was worth to us....

we arent the yankees...we cant spend 200 plus mil and still lose money!...we cant cheat the luxury tax by charging the yes network 50 mil for the tv right, whent he contract is worth at least 3 times that

I don't think the Red Sox front office did the wrong thing... personally, I think he was a bit overrated. But I do find it amusing and ironic the one player Red Sox fans loved is now part of the Evil Empire. Just wait till Brady leaves for the Raiders some day... :D

Damon is a very good player but to be honest, I can't stand the guy because he's so friggin dumb. It pains me to listen to him speak or look at the stupid look on his face. I'm grateful for what he did for the Sox, but I think they made the right move in letting him go - paying him $13mm per year when he's 35 and 36 would not be money well spent. Sox could go out and get Jeremy Reed to fill that hole - the kid has tons of talent and could really take off in the Sox' lineup (and I certainly think he's worth an Arroyo or Clement). I'm anxious to see what they do . . .

I don't think the Red Sox front office did the wrong thing... personally, I think he was a bit overrated.  But I do find it amusing and ironic the one player Red Sox fans loved is now part of the Evil Empire.  Just wait till Brady leaves for the Raiders some day...  :D

1230330[/snapback]

he's the one player Sox fans loved? What about Ortiz? Varitek? This statement is nonsense.

Damon's overrated. Yankee fans are going to be disappointed with his defense, especially because CF at the Stadium is deeper than at Fenway and he already couldn;t make a throw all the way back to the infield.

His shoulder has been crapping out more and more over the last 3 years. Say Hello to Bernie Past His Prime II

Anyone else watching the press conference on YES right now? I have to say, Damon looks very uncomfortable already, he's stuttering and his voice keeps cracking. :D

Boston fans, was he always this uncomfortable with public speaking? This is painful to watch, he can't hardly get a sentence out.

Edited by Skrappy1

F**** MLB- I am done with these f'ing guys. Damon now a Yankee?? Clemens back to Boston- I am done with baseball. Watchin this squid put his NY hat and jersey on right now in his press conference- MAKES ME WANT TO PUKE. All these guys on Roids, lying thru their teeth at us the fans. MLB is falling far behind NFL, NBA IMO. From now on, done. I could care less about baseball. NFL is a great product, and so is the NBA- baseball??? forget it-

MLB- :D:D