[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

2005 Draft specluation- Peyton

Zooty

In one league I took Peyton 4th in a 12 team league. I won the league.

Checking back over the pre-season debate about if he was worth an early pick.

Any one else win with him?

My final roster ( Start 1 QB, 2 RB/2 WR or 1RB/3WR, 1TE, K, DEF)

QB Peyton Manning IND

QB Josh McCown ARI

QB Chris Simms TBB

RB LaMont Jordan OAK

RB Carnell Williams TBB

RB Michael Pittman TBB

RB Samkon Gado GBP

RB Kevan Barlow SFO

WR Santana Moss WAS

WR Eric Moulds BUF

WR Jabar Gaffney HOU

WR Marcus Robinson MIN

WR Michael Clayton TBB

TE Antonio Gates SDC

PK Rob Bironas TEN

PK Rian Lindell BUF

DT Jacksonville Jaguars

DT Philadelphia Eagles

In one league I took Peyton 4th in a 12 team league.  I won the league.

Checking back over the pre-season debate about if he was worth an early pick.

Any one else win with him?

My final roster ( Start 1 QB, 2 RB/2 WR or 1RB/3WR, 1TE, K, DEF)

QB Peyton Manning IND 

QB Josh McCown ARI 

QB Chris Simms TBB

RB LaMont Jordan OAK 

RB Carnell Williams TBB 

RB Michael Pittman TBB 

RB Samkon Gado GBP 

RB Kevan Barlow SFO

WR Santana Moss WAS 

WR Eric Moulds BUF

WR Jabar Gaffney HOU 

WR Marcus Robinson MIN   

WR Michael Clayton TBB

TE Antonio Gates SDC

PK Rob Bironas TEN 

PK Rian Lindell BUF

DT Jacksonville Jaguars 

DT Philadelphia Eagles

1238981[/snapback]

Man, you won with those RB's and WR's? Santana is pretty good, but Cadillac was bad at times as was Pittman and Jordan. Good QB and TE, but I'm surprised you won.

Man, you won with those RB's and WR's? Santana is pretty good, but Cadillac was bad at times as was Pittman and Jordan.  Good QB and TE, but I'm surprised you won.

1239048[/snapback]

So am I. Thats why I hate Head to Head leagues. The owners with LT and SA got knocked out in the 2nd round.

Manning is what he is - a guy who is, if not the TOP QB, is at least on the short list. His 4000 yds and 30ish tds are money in the bank, year-in and year-out.

The thing is, you can grab guys who match his numbers in later rounds - f'rinstance, Palmer, Brady, and Drew Brees are EASILY in his wheelhouse this year - but it's more of a crapshoot. I'd probably address RB and WR in the first couple rounds, but if he fell to me in the 3rd, well, I'd probably still pass him up but can easily see why it makes sense to grab him there.

Manning is what he is - a guy who is, if not the TOP QB, is at least on the short list. His 4000 yds and 30ish tds are money in the bank, year-in and year-out.

The thing is, you can grab guys who match his numbers in later rounds - f'rinstance, Palmer, Brady, and Drew Brees are EASILY in his wheelhouse this year - but it's more of a crapshoot. I'd probably address RB and WR in the first couple rounds, but if he fell to me in the 3rd, well, I'd probably still pass him up but can easily see why it makes sense to grab him there.

1239142[/snapback]

Excellent info here. In one of my leagues(12 team, perf), this is the top 5 QBs with their points and draft position:

C. Palmer, 286 pts, 7.3

T. Brady, 281 pts, 5.9

P. Manning, 267 pts, 1.6

E. Manning, 252 pts, 14.3

D. Brees, 249 pts, 11.9

I think this shows that there is good value to be had at the QB position later in the draft. Incidently, I was the owner who got Brady at 5.9 and Brees at 11.9. Had I not whiffed on my #1 pick(Jamal Lewis :doah: ) I probably would have won the league.

Always believed and still do that RB's are the way to go when selecting in first round ...Then again the socring rules in the league have a lot to do with it

in my main league QB TD passes are worth only 3 pts so it makes even more sense to not draft a QB until later rounds

Good responses but the question was "how many people who argued FOR taking Manning early, did and won?"

I believe you need to lock up RBs 1&2 if possible but the debate in pre-season got me to take Manning at 4 and I was able to win the league. I'm not asking about the merits of a 1st rd QB selection.

Edited by Zooty

Good responses but the question was "how many people who argued FOR taking Manning early, did and won?"

I believe you need to lock up RBs 1&2 if possible but the debate in pre-season got me to take Manning at 4 and I was able to win the league. I'm not asking about the merits of a 1st rd QB selection.

1239487[/snapback]

I don't think you are going to fine to many. If you look at each team that took Manning in the top of the draft and where they finished. He went #1 in my two drafts. 1st is head to head, Finished 3rd overall but was 6th in points. Very lucky with the schedule. The 2nd was just a points league and that team finished 5th in scoring. Manning didn't win many leagues this year like the year before.

The real story this past year was RBs. I can't recall this many misses or disappointments on the top RBs in years past. Their were alot of 1st round disappointments this year. LT's #'s were good but disappeared in the playoffs, DD - Hou just sucked, Duece injury, McGahee was terrible, the Jones boys to much hype? and so on. The only RBs this year that were good were SA - lived up to the #2 spot, TIKI, Edge, Jordan earlier in the year, Portis and Rudi later on in the year and LJ who was a beast when Priest went down and half these guys went in the 2nd round or later.

I took Manning 1.4 or 1.5 this year. I ended up 4th overall in points and missed the playoffs. I missed because Peyton wasn't up to his usual worth those first couple of games and put me in the hole early on. Even if I had won though I would not have done well in my playoffs week 15 and 16 since Peyton (and Marvin) played limited amounts and not exceptionally well as compared to prior weeks.

I own Peyton and Marvin in one league and Edge in another. In the future, I'll probably shy away from Manning if I had the opportunity.

1239487[/snapback]

In the 2 leagues I am in both lost in the playoffs, partly because the Colts were so good. Brady is almost equally consistent, I like him better in later rounds.

but the question was "how many people who argued FOR taking Manning early, did and won?"

1239487[/snapback]

In the league I commission, the Manning owner was waaaaaaaaaay out of it.

In one of my big money leagues, the Manning owner won it all - of course, he also had Tiki Barber and Reuben Droughns as his 1-2 punch at RB, which didn't hurt; he also got lucky, he finished 6th out of 10 in overall points.

In my main money league, the Manning owner made it to the conference championship.

...but one team does not a player make.

How many owners waited and took Palmer, Brady, Hasslebeck, Vick, Eli Manning, Brees, Plummer or even Bledsoe and won their championships? This is a MUCH more likely scenario than drafting Manning in the first and winning it.

In my leagues here are the QBs for the winning teams (you will notice that Peyton isn't on ANY of them):

Eli Manning (drafted Collins, got Eli off waivers)

Hasslebeck (drafted in the 7th round)

Jamie Martin (kept Culpepper)

Delhomme (drafted in the 11th round)

Brees (drafted in the 9th round)

Dynasty Leagues

Palmer

Palmer

HAG leagues

Palmer (drafted in the 7th)

Palmer (drafted in the 7th)

Brees (drafted in the 12th)

...Then again the scoring rules in the league have a lot to do with it

1239172[/snapback]

Yes, in our league, all TDs (QB, RB, WR, or TE) are worth 7 points, so QBs can potentially dominate. In 2004, Manning and CPep were far superior to other QBs in point totals, but in 2005, there really wasn't that much domination by one or two guys, so RBs once again were the most valuable commodities.

I held Manning as one of my keepers, which would have been the #8 pick. I did win the league, but not because of Manning IMO. To be honest, I'm not sure how I won?? I guess because the guys I played against in the playoffs didn't score well.

Manning did finish second in total points in this league behind Palmer.

Manning

McNair - a big 1 point in the championship game

Garrard

S Jax

T Jones

Caddy

F Taylor

Faulk

Barlow

Benson

Holt

S Smith - another big 1 point in the big game

R Moss

Branch

Wilford - started him over Moss and Branch...won me the title by 2 pts.

Stevens

Troupe - 0 pts in the big game

J Brown

Denver D/ST

You must keep one and have the option of keeping two more. If you keep the second or third, you lose your 1st and/or 2nd round picks next year.

Would you keep Manning? How about Smith or Holt?

In the league I commish, Manning was taken 1.2 and he won the championship. 12-team re-draft league, standard scoring and 16-man rosters.

His team was not spectacular, but his opponents tanked during the playoff games. The championship game was the lowest overall scoring game of the season. The guy ended up starting Breese over Manning the last two weeks of the playoffs (against Indy and KC).

Go figure :D:D