[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I just know the Lions will screw this up!

BigTen

Haslett likely a strong candidate for Lions :D

Friday, January 06, 2006

By Tom Kowalski

ALLEN PARK -- Detroit Lions president Matt Millen has said he won't discuss any of the team's possible head coaching candidates until a small group of finalists is determined.

But a casual conversation a couple of years ago revealed Millen's respect :D for former New Orleans Saints head coach Jim Haslett, who will be interviewed today in Allen Park.

Prior to a training camp workout, Haslett's name came up during a conversation with a reporter. Millen spoke highly of Haslett's toughness, game strategy, his passion for the game and how well he handled practices and his players. :D

After interviewing Haslett, Millen is expected to fly to Denver to meet with Broncos offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak on Saturday.:huh: Because the Broncos have a bye week in the playoffs, Kubiak must be interviewed before the end of this week or he won't be available until after Denver is no longer in the playoffs.

Haslett, 50, won NFL Coach of the Year honors in 2000 when the Saints had a 10-6 record, won a division title and also won their first-ever playoff game. They eliminated the defending Super Bowl champion St. Louis Rams 31-28.

In 2002, the Saints started 9-4 but lost their last three games to miss the playoffs. The Saints finished strong in 2004 with four consecutive victories, but just missed making the playoffs in the final weekend. It was the second season in a row the Saints finished 8-8.

It all fell apart this season after Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans, severely damaging the Superdome and sending the Saints to San Antonio. The Saints were forced to play their "home" games at three different sites and often had to change practice sites because of events going on at the Alamodome.

The Saints' final "home" game was a 13-12 loss to the Lions on Dec. 24.

After losing their season finale to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Haslett was quoted as saying, "This is not a 3-13 football team. They've been through a lot."

In a prepared statement following his firing earlier this week, Haslett said, "There is no denying all of the effort we put in didn't provide the results you need in this league."

Haslett, who had an overall record of 46-52 in New Orleans, is still owed $3.2 million from the Saints because he has one year remaining on his contract.

Haslett joined the Saints after spending three years as the defensive coordinator of the Pittsburgh Steelers (1997-99). Haslett was also an assistant with the Saints (1995-96), Los Angeles Raiders (1993-94) and the Sacramento Surge of NFL Europe (1991-92).

Haslett was an All-America defensive end at Indiana and a second-round draft pick by the Buffalo Bills. Haslett spent eight years with the Bills and one season with the New York Jets (1987) before retiring.

:D:D:D

Hey Millen :D:D:D

I have lost hope before anything has even been revealed.

Edited by BigTen

frankly your loss of faith in millen is unjustified....look at his last two coaching hires....He likes to hire the first guy he talks to...boy that guy is smart....remember Bill Ford Jr. when he announced the hiring of Millen? He called him a "TOWERING INTELLECT" and that from the guy who is running Ford Motor company. and look how well they are doing.

just think if hanson had not made that kick against New Orleans Detroit would have the #2 pick overall...oh well....

i think detroit needs a 2nd team.

just think if hanson had not made that kick against New Orleans Detroit would have the #2 pick overall...oh well....

1250356[/snapback]

Actually they would have the number 3 pick by virtue of tiebreaker but your point is well taken.

I don't think Millen will hire Haslett (even if he thinks he's the best man for the job). The public ridicule that Millen has had to endure (especially the last half of this season) will not exactly be quelled by bringing in the coach from a team that won less games than they did.

Edited by Puddy

Whoever Millen picks, policyvote will think that it is a brilliant choice.

Policy , Egret , Furd , Dr. Love , Russman , and Chiefjay I have an announcement to make. I will no longer wallow in the dissapointment that comes with being a Lions fan. After being properly schooled by whomper with his pro football acumen I declare this. I'm Puddy and I love the Dallas Cowboys.

:D Megan Fox

I think they should bring back Darryl Rogers.  He was one heckuva coach!

1250530[/snapback]

you are right....Darry Rogers called it. After meeting with WC Ford he went to his press conferance and said the now immortal phrase "what does a guy have to do to get fired around here"

he lasted almost the entire next season.

you are right....Darry Rogers called it.  After meeting with WC Ford he went to his press conferance and said the now immortal phrase "what does a guy have to do to get fired around here"

he lasted almost the entire next season.

1251856[/snapback]

Isn't that a paraphrase of what Wayne Fontes said at the press conference after he was fired. He said "Wadda ya mean I'm fired"...

Whomp, we left it unsetteled, but I'm going to send ya $20 since I broght it up-Peace PD.

1253212[/snapback]

no need..Im just busting balls

Guest THEbigred

lol @ this thread - poor Lions

Who's coaching Mich St now? They seem to have a habit of producing great coaches lately, plus you'd have that real nice in-state thing going.