[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The 2005 season will go down in infamy

PantherDave

i agree ...NFL needs to look at all the refs and start to get rid of some and train others to step up

1267136[/snapback]

I would like to see younger full time refs that work much like team players, watching film and working on their craft every week.

I don't know why in this day and age, that they don't have and "officials" booth where all plays are seen via live feed by multiple officials and radioed a single on field official, that only priority is citing the penalty. They could use a buzzer approach for penalties similar to olympic boxing where 3 officials see a penalty, push a button and it's relayed to the man onfield.

Some of the calls this year are beyond ludicrous-plain and simple.

1267133[/snapback]

And Mike Perreira (Ferreira???) has supported every single one of them. Maybe it's time for a new head of officiating. I can't wait to hear the explanations of how Assante Samuel committed pass interference last night and how Polomalu did not intercept that ball.

And Mike Perreira (Ferreira???) has supported every single one of them.  Maybe it's time for a new head of officiating.

1267721[/snapback]

yeah that always pisses me off. like the tuck rule "correct interpretation" that was never the correct interpretation until THAT game. they'll never admit their guys were wrong even when they clearly are because it undermines the game results.

I think you're approaching it from the wrong end. It's the rules that need fixing first, not the officials. The inconsistencies of officials are caused by the inconsistencies of the rules. Time to strip out all the tucks and football moves and get back to basics.

I agree. For instance, there was this huge ruckus concerning the "horse collar tackle". Apparently one of the aspects of this rule is that it only applies if the victom is a high profile wide receiver. I saw guys getting tackled like this during the season, and I don't remember it being called once.

its a f'n traveshamockery!!

Edited by Skilly

Well, the Car/Chi gamed pretty muched summed it up yesterday-blatant PI on Carter that was not called, and letting the Bears O snap the ball two seconds after the play clock expired, which resulted in a INT for Car, when it should have been 3 & 15 for the Bears. Just plain horrible-plain and simple.

Well, the Car/Chi gamed pretty muched summed it up yesterday-blatant PI on Carter that was not called, and letting the Bears O snap the ball two seconds after the play clock expired, which resulted in a INT for Car, when it should have been 3 & 15 for the Bears. Just plain horrible-plain and simple.

1269017[/snapback]

Both of those examples instantly leapt to my mind as soon as I started reading this thread. I haven't talked to anybody about this today, and I haven't listened to or watched any commentary on it either... which means those two non-calls were completely and totally obvious to any objective viewer. The NFL definitely needs to address obvious non-calls in some way that doesn't totally destroy the flow of the game. I would think the technology is up-to-speed enough to allow for a solution at this point.

But in spite of all of the horrible officiating throughout the year, I think that this season wil be mostly known for the sheer volume of serious player injuries.

Some of the calls this year are beyond ludicrous-plain and simple.

1267133[/snapback]

couldn't agree with you more. but that play in the Indy/Pitt game where both teams moved and NO fouls were called, takes the cake... I'm still shaking my head over that one . At least with all the other horrible calls this weekend, decisions were made. They have to make a call on that play. Any call, I dont care if they get it wrong, I'm used to that, but to not call anything is just unbelivable

I can't help but wonder if this could be an unintended consequence of instant replay. I have never seen referees take so long to make calls. I just don't remember that many plays in the pre review era where the officiating crew meets even before someone has made a call! I saw that happen several times this year.

You have to wonder if those cameras put a different kind of pressure on these guys. They do know if they are wrong, the eye in the sky will make it right. I just think they are getting gun shy.