[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Panthers or Seahawks

isleseeya

IS Alexander definitely playing ? any talk about him being limited ?

obviously if he is healthy and rarin to go , the chances for Panthers to win shrink

1269979[/snapback]

Running back Shaun Alexander was administered tests on Sunday to determine the severity of his concussion, and team doctors indicated to him that he will be healthy and lucid enough to play this Sunday in the Seahawks' NFC Championship Game with Carolina.

obviously if he is healthy and rarin to go , the chances for Panthers to win shrink

1269979[/snapback]

He'll play. From what I've read and heard in the media the concussion was not that bad, and he was held out of the game for precautionary reasons.

1269979[/snapback]

In the press conference, Holmgren said SA's fine, & should play

I don't believe Alexander to be the difference maker. If he plays, the Hawks will score more TD's. If he does not play, the Hawks still win.... as long as...

Their defense stays home on all the miss direction from Carolina. The secondary is young. The bigger concern to me is Dyson. He can help those guys stay in check and push the play back inside.

Running back Shaun Alexander was administered tests on Sunday to determine the severity of his concussion, and team doctors indicated to him that he will be healthy and lucid enough to play this Sunday in the Seahawks' NFC Championship Game with Carolina.

1269991[/snapback]

Doctor: "Okay Shaun, how many fingers am I holding up (holding up 2)?"...

Shaun: "er, 4?"

Holmgren: "Close enough for me"...

The more I think about this, the more I have to lean toward Carolina. Smith is so much better than Moss it's not even funny. Carolina's other receivers are starting to step up and will have plenty of opportunities against the Seattle D. Herndon is especially weak. I watched him for a couple of years in Denver and was so glad he left.

Carolina, on the other hand can be thrown on, but I think the difference in this game is Carolina shuts down the run, and puts pressure on Hass.

Carolina 34

Seattle 24

The more I think about this, the more I have to lean toward Carolina.  Smith is so much better than Moss it's not even funny.  Carolina's other receivers are starting to step up and will have plenty of opportunities against the Seattle D.  Herndon is especially weak.  I watched him for a couple of years in Denver and was so glad he left. 

Carolina, on the other hand can be thrown on, but I think the difference in this game is Carolina shuts down the run, and puts pressure on Hass.

Carolina 34

Seattle  24

1271535[/snapback]

:D Steve Smith is muy scary but the Panthers are even more of a one-dimensional offense than Washington. You shut down Smith, you shut down the Panters. And you are right about Herndon being sucky, but he is our third corner behind Trufant and Dyson.

The Seahawks will not be shut down of offense. Too many wepons, too many ways to score. If the Hawks play turnover free they win by 10+ points. Too many mistakes and Panthers win. The edge goes to Seattle in this one.

:D Steve Smith is muy scary but the Panthers are even more of a one-dimensional offense than Washington.  You shut down Smith, you shut down the Panters.  And you are right about Herndon being sucky, but he is our third corner behind Trufant and Dyson. 

The Seahawks will not be shut down of offense.  Too many wepons, too many ways to score.  If the Hawks play turnover free they win by 10+ points.  Too many mistakes and Panthers win.  The edge goes to Seattle in this one.

1271650[/snapback]

I agree with you on some points here...CAR WAS 1 dimenionsal. Now, they are starting to include other elements into their game play. Other WRs (albeit BARELY :D) and the running game (mostly from the offensive line, i've decided) have stepped up nicely.

As much as I'd like to see them spread the ball more, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Smith cannot be covered. it would probably take 3 people to shut him down. CHI had the best chance to develop a scheme to handle him, and they layed an egg.

I don't feel the SEA DEF is good enough to have a scheme in place. i think they would have to rely completely on the athleticism, and playmaking abilities of their players, and nobody on SEA matches up with Smith. Therefore they would need 2 or 3 people on him constantly, which would simply open up the running game and even the passing game to Goings. Not to mention Carter, who is shaping up nicely.

Delhomme, when he's on fire, can shred any defense. And while he ALWAYS looking for Smith, he can very easily find another goto guy for this game. And even with 3 guys, Smith could still create a few chances for himself.

Just some thoughts.

I think there are better schemes than to leave Steve Smith wide open for 2 long TD passes.

1271753[/snapback]

Indeed. The Bears screwed up the first time with single coverage and the second time with no coverage on a mis-direction play. If Dyson can stay on the field, he and Trufant can stay at home on the mis-direction, minimizing Smith's big plays. The problem of not covering the post routes still remains, but at least the big plays will be minimized. A nice bonus would be the front four getting heavy pressure on Flaky Jake.

Indeed. The Bears screwed up the first time with single coverage and the second time with no coverage on a mis-direction play. If Dyson can stay on the field, he and Trufant can stay at home on the mis-direction, minimizing Smith's big plays. The problem of not covering the post routes still remains, but at least the big plays will be minimized. A nice bonus would be the front four getting heavy pressure on Flaky Jake.

1271830[/snapback]

Yeah, good luck with that. Single coverage on Smith is going to lead to a big day from him. Plus, I didn't realize that Dyson has a high ankle sprain. If he's not 100% and happens to be singled up on S. Smith.....count on a long play at least.

Yeah, good luck with that.  Single coverage on Smith is going to lead to a big day from him.  Plus, I didn't realize that Dyson has a high ankle sprain.  If he's not 100% and happens to be singled up on S. Smith.....count on a long play at least.

1271840[/snapback]

That's my point exactly. Dyson needs to be healthy. Many are talking about Alexander being the difference maker here. Not so.

While I didn't spell it out, I do not mean to imply single coverage on Smith. I'm pointing out that on top of double coverage, the outside guys must stay at home. Carolina was successful several times in getting the bears to bite the wrong way. The Seahawks will need to play smart. And, they can, but Dyson can bring more.