[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Buffalo HC position

Ralph Furley

Jauron still appears to be the favorite. 2nd choice appears to be Sherman.

Buffalo recently interviewed Capers. A late addition to the search was Jim Caldwell, Indianapolis Assistant Head Coach.

It appears they are no longer interested in bringing Haslett in for an interview.

They expect to name someone early next week.

Former Chicago Bears coach Dick Jauron will be offered the head coaching job with the Buffalo Bills, team sources told ESPN's Chris Mortensen on Sunday. One team source said that Jauron should be named by Monday once the Bills complete the contract negotiations.

Jauron was selected by Bills owner Ralph Wilson and general manager Marv Levy from a group that included former Packers coach Mike Sherman, former Texans coach Dom Capers and current Colts assistant coach Jim Caldwell.

It will be Jauron.

I dont understand this hire at all.  Clearly, Levy pushed for Jauron to get hired.  Any Chicago homers think Jauron did a good job coaching the Bears?

1283149[/snapback]

Well...he did a great job when they went 13-3. Besides that year, he really hasn't done much. He was always well respected by the players and media, but there is absolutley no spark or fire in the guy. Hence the name Sleepy Dick. A decent but not great coach IMO. Don't know if he's much better than what they already had. Very akward hire to me.

I dont understand this hire at all.  Clearly, Levy pushed for Jauron to get hired.  Any Chicago homers think Jauron did a good job coaching the Bears?

1283149[/snapback]

I did not like his half time lack of adjustments.

He will not call a player out publicly.

In Chicago one of his problems was that he was loyal to a fault with his staff/players.

He is a classy guy, when dave wanstead left Chicago I hoped he would fail where ever he went, but not with dick, I hope dick will have success wherever he goes, but im glad he is not on the bears.

In Chicago one of his problems was that he was loyal to a fault with his staff/players.

1283336[/snapback]

That is a trait he shares with Sherman. I actually thought that might be why Sherman didn't get this job, but now I must wonder. Sure Sherman was 2-4 in the playoffs, but he had only one losing season and lead the Pack to four straight postseason appearances. There are guys with worse resumes out there.

I did not like his half time lack of adjustments.

He will not call a player out publicly.

He is a classy guy, when dave wanstead  left Chicago I hoped he would fail where ever he went, but not with dick, I hope dick will have success wherever he goes, but im glad he is not on the bears.

1283336[/snapback]

Jauron's positives: He was classy. Agree, he would never call out a player in public. He always was cordial with the media. He was even polite to fans who called in to his weekly radio show and ripped him a new one.

Jauron's Negatives: Agree, he was loyal to a fault with his players. For example, he had FB Leon Johnson returning punts. A freakin' fullback. :D He was loyal to a fault with his coaches. He had an offensive coordinator name John Shoop who was stubborn, conservative and in ten miles over his head. If Jauorn had gotten rid of Shoop, he might have saved his job. Jauron was also stubborn; he would never make half time adjustments. He wanted a conservative approach to offense and defense. He would play not to lose. He also hated playing rookies and did little to develop younger players. Every game was "just another game" to him, and that blah attitude carried over to his players.

Who knows? Maybe he learned from his mistakes...maybe he didn't. I hope he does well, but if you're a Dolphins, Patriots or Jets fan, you probably don't have too much to worry about.

Edited by Wolverines Fan

He was even polite to fans who called in to his weekly radio show and rip him a new one.

He wanted a conservative approach to offense and defense.  He would play not to lose.  He also hated playing rookies and did little to develop younger players.

1284653[/snapback]

The situation heightened in October 2002 when a caller to the Monday night show called then Bears coach Dick Jauron "a coward" following an overtime loss to Detroit. and hub Arkush cut off the caller, saying, "Where did you play football? . . . Where did you coach football?"

that was a show I always listened to, the best part was the last 20 min when callers would call in. I got out of hand some times.

I give Dick credit for going to that show each week and getting smashed by callers, while keeping his composure.

and about the conservative approach I agree, I remember him saying something like "we just need to keep the game close, and hopefully will have a chance to win it with a field goal at the end." I understand about holding on to the ball, field position, ect......but I cant have my team play the whole game with a prevent offence and defense.

And a side note, he is a real good golfer, I got to see him play, the man is good.

The situation heightened in October 2002 when a caller to the Monday night show called then Bears coach Dick Jauron "a coward" following an overtime loss to Detroit. and hub Arkush cut off the caller, saying, "Where did you play football? . . . Where did you coach football?"

that was a show I always listened to, the best part was the last 20 min when callers would call in. I got out of hand some times.

I give Dick credit for going to that show each week and getting smashed by callers, while keeping his composure.

and about the conservative approach I agree, I remember him saying something like "we just need to keep the game close, and hopefully will have a chance to win it with a field goal at the end." I understand about holding on to the ball, field position, ect......but I cant have my team play the whole game with a prevent offence and defense.

And a side note, he is a real good golfer, I got to see him play, the man is good.

1285116[/snapback]

I forgot all about that show on the Score. Jauron did keep his composure, although I don't know how. I swear, I think Hub Arkush would hold Jauron's balls for him during that show.

Anyway, Jauron is a classy guy, and I'm hoping he does good things for Buffalo. As a word of warning...if you ever hear the name John Shoop or anything about his offense, just get in your car and drive far far away until the season is over.

1285116[/snapback]

I forgot about that. :D

Arkush got pounded for it and rightfully so. He also kissed Wanny's backside.

Jauron should have fired Shoop. That guy was terrible!

If he can get a solid staff together, then his loyalty will prove to be an asset. Remember Belichick's tenure with the Browns. People can learn from their mistakes, and I'm not too suprised he's been given another shot.