[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Culpepper, can he rebound.

Sideline Merc

He tore all three ligaments. Part if his game is to scramble. Haven't heard much on the condition of the knee. Just recently met with the Vikes about a new contract and was not happy with the amount of guaranteed money. Now I know McGahee had the same injury and has rebounded it seems. Culpepper is older and heavier and at the qb position the knee is a little more exposed. Is Culpepper finished?

Nobody knows yet if he will be able to rebound. Only time will tell. He fired his agent and now he is doing the talking. He needs to hire another agent so he concentrate on rehabbing his knee instead of getting frustrated with any type of negotiations. It sounds like he wants to do it on his own. That can be a frustrating process and I hope it doesn't affect his game. Here is an article from the strib:

Culpepper seeks clarity about his role

The Vikings quarterback met with the owner and his new coach, who wanted to hear where he stands as he continues to rehabilitate his knee.

Sid Hartman, Star Tribune

Last update: February 01, 2006 – 10:49 PM

Vikings quarterback Daunte Culpepper was at the team's Winter Park headquarters Tuesday and met with owner Zygi Wilf and coach Brad Childress.

Wilf said it was his understanding that Culpepper did not make his visit here to increase his guaranteed contract of $8 million, including $6 million for reporting in March.

Culpepper did ask for an increase in his contract in a previous meeting with Rob Brzezinski, vice present of football operations, and was turned down. It doesn't make sense that a player who had serious knee surgery and might not play early next season would continue to ask for more money. Wilf did say this meeting was different.

"[Culpepper] just wanted clarification," Wilf said. "He wanted clarification of what his role is and where he stands. We tell him he is a franchise quarterback, and we're hoping he's able to come back quick enough to be able to be with us this season. We're hoping that the recovery works out well, that's all."

Previously there had been a lack of communication between Culpepper and Childress when Culpepper came to the Twin Cities. Instead of meeting Childress, Culpepper called him on the telephone.

Was Tuesday's meeting successful?

"Quite honestly, we're hopeful we can move on," Wilf said. "One thing I've learned, I'm leaving this thing up between the coaches and the players. I'm not getting involved."

What is Culpepper's future with the Vikings?

"I don't know. It's hard to say," Wilf said. "All I know is that we [Wilf and Childress] want to make sure that he's able to play healthy for our team and take us where we want to go.

"You know, a guy goes through an injury, I can't tell you what goes through his mind, but what I can say is that we're working to make sure he can come back and be happy, that's all. We're trying our best."

Cpep with Randy Moss = Really good

Cpep without Randy = Really bad

Brad Johnson did enough to almost put them in the playoffs, but couldn't dig out of the whole Cpep put them in.

The defense will be pretty darn good next year and they don't need Cpep to be a playoff team. Since 2000, they've been 5-11, 6-10, 9-7, and 8-8 with him at the helm for a full season.

I'm sure he can rebound, but why should they bother with him is the question.

I think he's done. I wonder if he's got the desire and/or heart to put forth the effort it will take to do the rehab necessary to get back into playing shape. Then he'll have to take the job back from Brad Johnson.

I think the Vikes will pay him his bonus and he'll end up on IR next season.

Daunte's problems this year was more complicated than not having Moss. To start out the season, the OL was horrible. He did have a new OC to deal with and the team couldn't even decide on who should call the plays into him. They went in different directions each week.

Done.  He is great when things are rolling, but when he starts to get uncomfortable it just crumbles completely.  He wasn't confident this year and an iffy knee can only hurt that.

1303149[/snapback]

That knee was torn up very badly.

Since 2000, they've been 5-11, 6-10, 9-7, and 8-8 with him at the helm for a full season.

I'm sure he can rebound, but why should they bother with him is the question.

1302065[/snapback]

I think this is exactly on point here. The guy has lead the team to a single +.500 season in the past 4 he played full seasons for. Why continue to have this guy lead your team? Time to either draft a new QB or find a younger FA and let Brad Johnson take the reigns in 2006 and hand them off for the future.

Childress has come out and said that once he is healthy, Culpepper would be considered the starting QB for the Vikes. It's pretty much just up to Culpepper to get himself healed. One issue of contention though, is that Culpepper wants to do his rehab down in Florida, while Childress wants him up in Minnesota so he can have a better opportunity to learn the new offense. We'll see how that all plays out.

I think at this point, Culpepper will not be traded, and he will end up coming back mid-way through next season as the starter. And for what it's worth, I was watching pretty closely, and even though the Vikes went on a nice winning streak this last year, Brad Johnson looked pretty pathetic the entire time.

Now will Culpepper be effective ever again? That my friend is the million dollar question... my hunch is that he will be good, even better than most starting QB's in the league, but never as great as he once was. And I think the mediocre team record is due more to the coaching than to Culpepper... I mean look at his stats during the time... for the most part he was doing his job quite well.

Edited by Savage Beatings