[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Do you really think that the refs are cheating

Skippy

Knowing what you know and watching all the football that you watch. Do you really think they are cheating or is maybe just some bad calls?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Knowing what you know and watching all the football that you watch. Do you really think they are cheating or is maybe just some bad calls?

• Yes they clearly cheat.
    • No they don't cheat.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

As I said in another thread, I think refs are less likely to make a call because of instant replay. Just make a call, and the booth will get it right is the mentality IMO. There isn't enough personal responsibility on the field to get the right call. IR hasn't made anything more or less accurate. Just more aggravating. If everyone is responsible, no one is responsible.

Fans sit at home and watch the replay from 10 angles for 3 minutes. They have a call in their head and are enragged if the refs don't see it the same way. Leading to more and more - "the refs suck" attitude.

What is the end result to the fan at home? 3 minutes of interrupted game time, plus the added spectre of cinspiracy theories and the sense that the product is not a good one.

This isn't just about the Steelers, its league wide IMO.

Before I consider answering this poll, I want to hear from the steeler fans that were crying 'conspiracy' after the indy game.

You all were and you know it.  Fess up.

1308030[/snapback]

I wasn't. Go find something that suggested that I felt that way. I thought it was a terrible call for sure but I did not feel like the NFL was trying to make the Colts win. I still don't even begin to think that.

It is clear to me that they need to revolutionize the way games are reffed.it would not cost much or take up much time to get a system in place.

Even if it makes games take a half hour longer I don't think you will hear the fans or affiliates complaining.

1307789[/snapback]

I disagree - both the NFL and the networks have been looking to shorten games, some of which now drag on for four hours. I seriously doubt more instant replay (and whoever called it "instant", it certainly isn't) will be brought in, unless they get rid of the nonsense of a ref running over to the booth and put the replays in the hands of the upstairs guys, like the Big Ten does.

unless they get rid of the nonsense of a ref running over to the booth and put the replays in the hands of the upstairs guys, like the Big Ten does.

1308065[/snapback]

This should be done without any question, IMO. Also they could use some radar or whatever in the endzone and sidelines. Put a freaking chip in the ball...

I guess I am going to far but they could make a lot of these calls a lot easier.

I think after the replay in Indy it was clear that that particular ref was cheating.

Tonights game did not help their cause either.

1307534[/snapback]

:D and 90% of steelers fans will have a different answer to this question today than they would have the day after the indy game.

edit: and no, they don't cheat.  they're just fliping morans, by and large.

1307538[/snapback]

yup and yup

they are doing the best they can in a very intense situation.  we have the luxury of watching instant replays from our couches over and over - they don't.  they have a few seconds to make each decision.  it's all a part of the game.  we do have the right to say whether they did a good job or whether they did a bad job, since these should be the best in the world.  it seems like the overwhelming majority feel like they did a bad job tonight.  i would agree.  doesn't mean they are cheating ... and it doesn't take anything away from the NFL and the game of football.

1307651[/snapback]

Yeah. I have reffed some football. Its a darn hard job with no TV/replay.

Wow!  At this point nearly 44% of the people think they do cheat.

1308214[/snapback]

Depends how you define cheat. The only true definition is to deliberately make an incorrect call in furtherance of some ulterior motive. It seems unlikely to me that it's an endemic issue, though there's always the possibility of a very few bent officials scattered around the league.

Depends how you define cheat.  The only true definition is to deliberately make an incorrect call in furtherance of some ulterior motive.

1308223[/snapback]

Well, that is about the only way that I look at cheating. I mean to me this question is asking if they make bad calls knowing they are bad calls for whatever the reason may be.

1308214[/snapback]

And that is really sad. While last night game was the worst officiating I have ever seen in a championship game in any proffesional or even college sport, I have a hard time saying it was fixed. It is sad that the NFL has let the officiating go so far, that it even brings the possibility of a game being fixed into question. I wish DMD could somehow send all the posts about this game to the NFL so that they can see how fans feel about the poor job in officiating that has occurred in the playoffs this year, and not just in this game. I know if it were not for fantasy football, after last nights officiating, I'd probably stop watching the NFL all together. The only thing that is going to get me to watch it next year is fantasy football, and if this trend of poor offficiating continues next year might be my last year with fantasy football. I'll have to look for college fantasy football or something.

Edit to add: I voted no, but that doesn't make me feel much better about it.

Edited by Perchoutofwater

I think the NFL ought to instruct it's officials to throw flags only in judgment call cases where the issue is obvious. Holding and PI are two areas where there are way too many flags thrown and you go back and look at the replay and see a hairline decision. When it's a hairline decision, keep the darn flag in your pocket.

1308214[/snapback]

FWIW, Skippy, I voted No. But it's becoming more and more obvious how vigorously they suck ass.

Edited by Big F'n Dave

while i voted 'no' and do not feel that they "cheat", i do believe they're influenced by popular sentiment, by the glamourous reputations of people like brady and manning, by storylines like dungy's and bettis'. it probably works its way into their actual officiating on a more subconscious level than a conscious (cheating) one, but i think it's fairly obvious that one way or another it DOES work its way into their actual officiating.

After watching that crap yesterday, I am convinced that more than one of the zebras was deliberately cheating. Way too many calls went against Seattle for it to be mere incompetence.

I stopped following boxing many years ago because of the obvious BS involved. Now it looks like the NFL is no better than a Don King "championship" bout.

I think I'll watch March Madness and Little League baseball instead.

I don't think they are cheating.... at least knowingly, but I do think there are times when they allow outside pressures to affect them at times.

The NFL has to fix the officiating and clean up the rule book. What the heck is a "football move"? It's nonsense. Catch the ball, get two feet down, or a knee or elbow, it's a catch no matter where it happens on the field. Get the ball over the pylon to score, not a hand or a foot. Make the refs full time employees. The NFL has made it very difficult on the refs with some of these rules revisions.

A flag like the one thrown on Hasselbeck, that has to be challengable. An illegal cut block on a tackle? I've never seen such a ridiculous call in my life. They need to loosen up on the PI calls and the holding.... I saw no holding on that pass to the one, and the contact between DJax and the DB was incidental, or call it flag football, and people can start betting on the refs.

That game gave the "Terrible Towel" a whole new meaning.

PS: I would have liked another poll choice, something like "Are the refs sometimes biased".

Edited by Rovers

I think it's human nature to cheat, and refs are in fact human. I don't konw if i'd accuse them of taking brides or betting on games, but like all men, they have favorites, they're influenced by the surroundings and peer pressure, that alone can cloud their judgement and make a questionable go in a certain direction, and by defintion THAT IS CHEATING!

Really, some may laugh but why not take the refs OFF the field and put 7 refs in a booth with many monitors and every play if 4 press a button and see a foul they agree on, then it's relayed to the field. It's not rocket science, they do it in boxing for punches landed in the olympics. It won't slow the game down at all, and will probably speed it up a bit.

Edited by theeohiostate

A flag like the one thrown on Hasselbeck, that has to be challengable. An illegal cut block on a tackle? I've never seen such a ridiculous call in my life. T

1308496[/snapback]

That play reminded me of the scene in "Remember the Titans" where the QB cut-blocked the blitzing LB and the coach wanted a roughing penalty. "On the Quarterback? You gotta be kidding me, coach"

Yep, that call on Hassellbeck had to be one of the worst calls in NFL history.

While I don't think that they're cheating, I do believe that the TV networks are in a good position to pay the refs more than the NFL can, in order to achieve the results they desire.

1308025[/snapback]

The Networks have much less to do with the outcome then Vegas, Sportsbetting has made the NFL what it is today and in itself is much larger then the NFL.

If that guy was in someone's pocket, why wouldn't he immediately signal a TD emphatically?

It was an odd call as it appeared he was going to spot him down short of the goalline, but then he signaled a TD.  There wasn't enough evidence to overturn the call on the field that happened in the 2nd quarter.

1307991[/snapback]

The fact that it appeared as if he were going to initially mark him down inside the one and then signaled a TD was huge. If he was marked down inside the one and Pittsburgh challenged the play, they probably wouldn't have overturned that call either because there was no clear cut visual evidence he made it over the line.