[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

It's the most wonderful time of the Year!

billay

So you would rather have Tubby Smith then Coach K?  I think you're still jealous over the greatest game ever.  Who won that game?

1311874[/snapback]

When was that, 92? Another case of referees cooking the books. Laettner should have been out of that game. Anywhoo, who outcoached who in 1998? Duke had far superior talent and an 18 point lead with 10 minutes left. Who won that game again? Refresh me. Both games were cases where Dook had us outclassed in talent badly (we had Richie Farmer, Sean Woods, Doug Pelphrey as serious contributors to the 1992 team...how many people outside of Kentucky have heard of them? Dook had Laettner, Bobby Hurley, Grant Hill...household names.) In 1998 it was Jeff Sheppard, Scott Padgett, Heshimu Evans, Wayne Turner et al vs. Elton Brand, William Avery, Cory Magette, Shane Battier.....both games would have been blowouts had the coaches roles been reversed. And while we are on the Tubby topic, who has more national titles since Tubby got to Kentucky? One each right? And we still have a 7-3 lead in National titles. Happy hunting.

T-minus 4 hours until J.J. Redick's first of many three-pointers. :D

1311986[/snapback]

You know that JJ has never scored 20 points in the Dean Dome?

Of course, that was when we had Jackie Manuel guarding him :D

When was that, 92? Another case of referees cooking the books. Laettner should have been out of that game. Anywhoo, who outcoached who in 1998? Duke had far superior talent and an 18 point lead with 10 minutes left. Who won that game again? Refresh me. Both games were cases where Dook had us outclassed in talent badly (we had Richie Farmer, Sean Woods, Doug Pelphrey as serious contributors to the 1992 team...how many people outside of Kentucky have heard of them? Dook had Laettner, Bobby Hurley, Grant Hill...household names.) In 1998 it was Jeff Sheppard, Scott Padgett, Heshimu Evans, Wayne Turner et al vs. Elton Brand, William Avery, Cory Magette, Shane Battier.....both games would have been blowouts had the coaches roles been reversed. And while we are on the Tubby topic, who has more national titles since Tubby got to Kentucky? One each right? And we still have a 7-3 lead in National titles. Happy hunting.

1311983[/snapback]

I think you're forgetting a guy named Mashburn on your 92 team. Also, you didn't answer my question. Tubby or Coach K?

My father's side of the family is intertwined with UNC. My grandfather was chancellor there from 1957-1964. He was actually the chancellor that hired Dean Smith as basketball coach. He was also Dean of the Law School and a Law professor there for 25 years. My Father also has taught some law there and got his undergrad degree and law degree fom UNC. In addition, my mother, aunt, uncle, sister and myself have all graduated from UNC.

The only question for Duke is do they have any/enough depth? They play 6-7 guys consistently. This has gotten them into trouble in past years (in some of the games mentioned in this thread, even) and I'm afraid it may hurt them this year again. I almost wish Coach K would play 9-10 guys regularly, even if it cost them a regular season game or two, just to prepare for the post-season. Nothing can replace having a solid, seasoned group of bench players, and this year, Duke doesn't have enough of them, in my opinion. I'll be rooting for them in March, don't get me wrong. But, I've seen it before in years past. Not enough depth to make the 6-game run. All it takes is one game where JJ or Williams gets in foul trouble and they're done.

That's pretty much my point. Has he really needed to play every minute? Would it really cost them if they sat him for 2 minutes per half regularly? Many of the games in which he's played 40 minutes were not buzzer-beaters, by any means, so I just don't understand why they don't get some of their other bench guys a few more minutes here and there.

I think you're forgetting a guy named Mashburn on your 92 team.  Also, you didn't answer my question.  Tubby or Coach K?

1312289[/snapback]

Coach K on the recruiting trail and Tubby on the sidelines. That team would never lose a game.

Took Dook -6. Took Dook s/u + over 155. UNC's gonna be tough in their crib but I think Dook takes'em out by 8 or 9. 89-81 Dook. Redick with 33. I'm only gonna get to watch the first half :D cuz I'll be at the gym. Darn trainer appointment. Fortunately I'll probably catch the tail end on one of the TVs there. Unless they're showing Wheel of Fortune and/or Entertainment Tonight... :D

Wow, great game.  UNC out played Duke but JJ was just too much.

Billay, your sig will be:  JJ Redick is god.

1312609[/snapback]

Short and sweet...the way a sig should be.

UNC played hard and made more of a game of it than I thought...of course when these guys go at it these games are always tough. We haven't heard the last from UNC.

And...way to hold on Duke.

Edited by I Like Soup

Just got home...what a game. I'm really proud of the way the heels played. They came back from 17 down to take the lead, but just made too many mistakes to put away a quality team like Duke. We actually opened the second half with 6 turnovers and no shots?!?!? Ugh. and it broke my heart to watch Danny Green shoot that floater down the sideline with seconds remaining, when the heels needed a 3 to tie :sigh: The Freshmen will learn. JJ put Duke on his back when things got tough and the Duke freshmen played well (McRoberts, Paulus)

It hurts but I'm proud of my heels.

Took Dook -6.  Took Dook s/u + over 155.  UNC's gonna be tough in their crib but I think Dook takes'em out by 8 or 9.  89-81 Dook.  Redick with 33.  I'm only gonna get to watch the first half :D cuz I'll be at the gym.  Darn trainer appointment.  Fortunately I'll probably catch the tail end on one of the TVs there.  Unless they're showing Wheel of Fortune and/or Entertainment Tonight... :D

1312366[/snapback]

I must say, I was purty darn close, except Dook didn't cover. Bassturds. Ended up being up 10 bucks or so, but woulda been nicer if they covered. :D Almost nailed Reddick's point total too!

UNC has some nice players. They're gonna make some noise down the stretch and in the tournament.

UNC is a quality team there is no doubt about that. I just wonder how they will play Sunday @ Miami after this close lost.

The fact that Duke blew another big lead scares me. They need a 3rd scorer bad. Also, I think McRoberts and Paulus will be great in a year or two. Right now there are times that I would much rather see Dockery running the point. Paulus really needs to make some shots.