[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Dynasty Draft - 3rd round in progress

revhookem

The 3rd round of our dynasty league draft is crawling along. When last I updated you, I was torn between RBrown, SJax and LJordan with my 2nd round pick (I have pick #7, 10 teams, serpentine... so selections 1.7, 2.4, 3.7, 4.4, 5.7...). I went with Brown, the next guy went with SJax... and it's been somewhat wacky since then. Here are the selections so far, by team:

#1 - Tomlinson (1.1), CChambers (2.10), DBrees (3.1)

#2 - LJohnson (1.2), Roethlisberger (2.9), McNabb (3.2)

#3 - SAlexander (1.3), MHasselback (2.8)

#4 - Portis (1.4), WParker (2.7)

#5 - McGahee (1.5), EManning (2.6)

#6 - Rudi (1.6), SJax (2.5)

#7 - Edge (1.7), Ronnie Brown (2.4)

#8 - PManning (1.8), SSmith (2.3)

#9 - TBrady (1.9), Tiki (2.2)

#10 - Caddillac (1.10), CPalmer (2.1)

There are still 4 guys before my next pick, but what direction would you lean toward? There has been this wierd run on QBs (RBs are easily worth the most in our strange scoring system), so part of me would like to secure one... but right now I'm leaning toward waiting until the 4th rd, since the guys between my pcik at 3.7 and my pick at 4.4 already have QBs. I'm wondering about Culpepper. I think the Dolphins could have a great season, and perhaps a great stretch of seasons. Culpepper certainly is questionable with his health - then again, what QB left doesn't have question marks? If LJordan somehow last through these next 4 guys, I'll almost feel like I HAVE to take him, despite already having 2 RBs. There are so many WRs on the board right now that I'm not as concerned there at this point.

So here is the wacky scoring system. We play 6 players each week, offense only... and we can play any number of players at any position. Playing against another 6 player team, your team is rewarded a TD (7pts) for each of the following: most rushing yds, most passing yds, most receiving yd, most kicking pts. Then you get FGs for the following: best TD-INT passing, ind passing, passing %; ind rushing, rushing TDs, rushing avg, # carries; ind receiving, rec TDs, # catches; longest FG. So in essence, there are 16 pts available for passing stats, 19 pts for rushing stats, 16 pts for receiving stats, and 10 pts for kicking... making RBs - esp those who run and catch - by far the most valuable players. In fact, to make a point about it two seasons ago, I played 5 RBs and a kicker in one game... and won (but I had a slew of stud RBs, which is one reason several of our owners wanted to redraft from scratch this year).

Sounds confusing, and it's unlike any other league I've ever been in - but the truth is, it makes for a lot of strategy for who you are going to start each week, always guessing about who the other guy is going to put in his lineup against you. What I've learned is that if I can have one good QB and depth at RB, I can live with uncertainty at WR (although having someone reliable there is always a bonus). The big keys are that YARDAGE is far more important than TDs, and RBs rule.

So... what would you be thinking right now if you were narrowing down possibilities for my next pick?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 3rd round of our dynasty league draft is crawling along.  When last I updated you, I was torn between RBrown, SJax and LJordan with my 2nd round pick (I have pick #7, 10 teams, serpentine... so selections 1.7, 2.4, 3.7, 4.4, 5.7...).  I went with Brown, the next guy went with SJax... and it's been somewhat wacky since then.  Here are the selections so far, by team:

#1 - Tomlinson (1.1), CChambers (2.10), DBrees (3.1)

#2 - LJohnson (1.2), Roethlisberger (2.9), McNabb (3.2)

#3 - SAlexander (1.3), MHasselback (2.8)

#4 - Portis (1.4), WParker (2.7)

#5 - McGahee (1.5), EManning (2.6)

#6 - Rudi (1.6), SJax (2.5)

#7 - Edge (1.7), Ronnie Brown (2.4)

#8 - PManning (1.8), SSmith (2.3)

#9 - TBrady (1.9), Tiki (2.2)

#10 - Caddillac (1.10), CPalmer (2.1)

There are still 4 guys before my next pick, but what direction would you lean toward?  There has been this wierd run on QBs (RBs are easily worth the most in our strange scoring system), so part of me would like to secure one... but right now I'm leaning toward waiting until the 4th rd, since the guys between my pcik at 3.7 and my pick at 4.4 already have QBs.  I'm wondering about Culpepper.  I think the Dolphins could have a great season, and perhaps a great stretch of seasons.  Culpepper certainly is questionable with his health - then again, what QB left doesn't have question marks?  If LJordan somehow last through these next 4 guys, I'll almost feel like I HAVE to take him, despite already having 2 RBs.  There are so many WRs on the board right now that I'm not as concerned there at this point.

So here is the wacky scoring system.  We play 6 players each week, offense only... and we can play any number of players at any position.  Playing against another 6 player team, your team is rewarded a TD (7pts) for each of the following: most rushing yds, most passing yds, most receiving yd, most kicking pts.  Then you get FGs for the following: best TD-INT passing, ind passing, passing %; ind rushing, rushing TDs, rushing avg, # carries; ind receiving, rec TDs, # catches; longest FG.  So in essence, there are 16 pts available for passing stats, 19 pts for rushing stats, 16 pts for receiving stats, and 10 pts for kicking... making RBs - esp those who run and catch - by far the most valuable players.  In fact, to make a point about it two seasons ago, I played 5 RBs and a kicker in one game... and won (but I had a slew of stud RBs, which is one reason several of our owners wanted to redraft from scratch this year).

Sounds confusing, and it's unlike any other league I've ever been in - but the truth is, it makes for a lot of strategy for who you are going to start each week, always guessing about who the other guy is going to put in his lineup against you.  What I've learned is that if I can have one good QB and depth at RB, I can live with uncertainty at WR (although having someone reliable there is always a bonus).  The big keys are that YARDAGE is far more important than TDs, and RBs rule.

So... what would you be thinking right now if you were narrowing down possibilities for my next pick?

1429273[/snapback]

If Jordan is out there next pick I would jump all over him.

Culpepper would not even be on my list, who knows how much he plays next year if at all.

I would jump all over Jordan. RB depth is always key. Being able to start a 3rd RB in leagues that allow it......even bigger. There is no way you should even think about a QB. You said it yourself -- Everyone between 3.8 and 4.3 has a QB. Even then, I might take a WR in the 4th if you get Jordan. Take a couple of QB's in rounds 6-10.

Thanks, guys. I'm definitely not going QB with my 3rd pick. The guys at 3.3 & 3.4 just continued the run on QBs, nabbing Delhomme & Bulger. I'm still wondering about grabbing one with my 4th round pick - but I'll have to wait and see who is there. Later round possibilities are still abundant as well.

If Lamont makes it by two more guys, I'm pouncing. If not... I don't know whether I'll go with a stud WR (CJohnson, THolt) or someone in the next tier of RBs. I'm leaning RB. As a Cowboy fan, I'm tempted to grab Julius, but MBIII makes me a little nervous. Another Jones boy, Kevin, may make more sense. Then there is also Thomas in CHI... but as a Longhorn alum, I'm pulling for Cedric to get the starting nod there (though he dug himself a hole last year). TBell, CTaylor, and DDavis are all possibilities for solid seasons too - depending on what their respective teams do in the draft.

Thoughts?

It might be hard to stay away from a QB until round 6 or 7 since you already have some teams doubling up and its only half way through the 3rd round. I wouldn't take Culpepper at all this year. Bledsoe or Warner might be good.

For your 3rd pick I would hope for Lamont. I would also look at McAllister. If you wanted a WR I would take TO or Fitz.

Edited by anscm5

3.5 took Chad Johnson...

If 3.6 passes on Lamont, he's mine. Otherwise I either go Holt, Fitz... or another RB. I'm not comfortable at all with McAllister at this stage - maybe around rd.5 if he's still there... but I'd go with either of the Jones boys (Julius or Kevin) over Deuce right now, with the uncertainty still hanging over the Saints and his having to come back from injury. Even before that he was not the same ol' Deuce.

3.5 took Chad Johnson...

If 3.6 passes on Lamont, he's mine.  Otherwise I either go Holt, Fitz... or another RB.  I'm not comfortable at all with McAllister at this stage - maybe around rd.5 if he's still there... but I'd go with either of the Jones boys (Julius or Kevin) over Deuce right now, with the uncertainty still hanging over the Saints and his having to come back from injury.  Even before that he was not the same ol' Deuce.

1431159[/snapback]

i think i'm right there with you. take jordan if he is there because you can't pass him up this late. i'd take fitz if he isn't.

keep us up to date, it will be nice to see your draft develop.

i think i'm right there with you.  take jordan if he is there because you can't pass him up this late.  i'd take fitz if he isn't.

keep us up to date, it will be nice to see your draft develop.

1431426[/snapback]

That's exactly what I'm going to do, I've decided. If Lamont falls to me, I'm taking him. If the guy at 3.6 takes him, then I'm going for Fitzgerald.

Either way, I am seriously considering taking a QB with my 4th rounder. I'll just have to wait and see what happens between now and then.

That's exactly what I'm going to do, I've decided. If Lamont falls to me, I'm taking him.  If the guy at 3.6 takes him, then I'm going for Fitzgerald.

Either way, I am seriously considering taking a QB with my 4th rounder.  I'll just have to wait and see what happens between now and then.

1432290[/snapback]

Resist the urge to go for your QB next round, especially if you get Jordan. I won 2 SB last year and had Plummer on 1 team and the trio of delhomme, brunell and green on the other. Not 1 of these guys was taken before the 7th round. You should be able to get some real good quality players at other positions in the 4th due to so many qb's being taken already. Make them pay by depleting the other positions, if nothing else you'll have some great trade bait to get the qb you want.

JMHO

Resist the urge to go for your QB next round, especially if you get Jordan. I won 2 SB last year and had Plummer on 1 team and the trio of delhomme, brunell and green on the other. Not 1 of these guys was taken before the 7th round. You should be able to get some real good quality players at other positions in the 4th due to so many qb's being taken already. Make them pay by depleting the other positions, if nothing else you'll have some great trade bait to get the qb you want.

JMHO

1432360[/snapback]

I hear ya... and that was certainly my plan going in, that I should probably stick to...

That's exactly what I'm going to do, I've decided. If Lamont falls to me, I'm taking him.  If the guy at 3.6 takes him, then I'm going for Fitzgerald.

Either way, I am seriously considering taking a QB with my 4th rounder.  I'll just have to wait and see what happens between now and then.

1432290[/snapback]

i have a feeling jordan will go right in front of you, if not then POUNCE,

as far as the QB goes, look at how many have QBs then ask yourself is there really value in getting one now(ie RD4) and the answer is an overwhelming NO....i would easily wait til round 7/8 at the earliest...

also do not overlook CHESTER TAYLOR he will be a top 20 RB this yr with some additional upside...dont worry about the draft they didnt sign him to platoon him...i would jump on him in round 4 if at all possible(hell i might even consider him over a WR if jordan is gone) but i am a RB W.hore

i have a feeling jordan will go right in front of you, if not then POUNCE, 

as far as the QB goes, look at how many have QBs then ask yourself is there really value in getting one now(ie RD4) and the answer is an overwhelming NO....i would easily wait til round 7/8 at the earliest...

also do not overlook CHESTER TAYLOR he will be a top 20 RB this yr with some additional upside...dont worry about the draft they didnt sign him to platoon him...i would jump on him in round 4 if at all possible(hell i might even consider him over a WR if jordan is gone) but i am a RB W.hore

1432390[/snapback]

keggerz has some nice koolaid here...I am drinking it....

Jordan will likely go to the Eli owner....take Chester and be pretty much locked in with 2 good backs regardless.....

if it's not PPR league....ehh I still take him...Hutch is simply vicious...

3.5 drafted CJ

3.6 drafted Culpepper :D

So with 3.7, I just selected my 3rd RB in as many picks: Lamont Jordan of Da Raydahs. My team thus far is: Edgerrin, Ronnie Brown & Jordan. :D

There are now 6 picks between me in my 4th round selection. I'm leaning toward WR, but will have to wait and see what happens. Thanks for the help - and I'll keep you posted. (I'll probably start a new post with each round that shows the whole board taken to that point, so it's easier to read.)

3.5 drafted CJ

3.6 drafted Culpepper  :D

So with 3.7, I just selected my 3rd RB in as many picks: Lamont Jordan of Da Raydahs.  My team thus far is: Edgerrin, Ronnie Brown & Jordan. :D 

There are now 6 picks between me in my 4th round selection.  I'm leaning toward WR, but will have to wait and see what happens.  Thanks for the help - and I'll keep you posted.  (I'll probably start a new post with each round that shows the whole board taken to that point, so it's easier to read.)

1432564[/snapback]

I'd seriously consider Fitz or Holt if they are available...and that's a huge if..

I'd seriously consider Fitz or Holt if they are available...and that's a huge if..

1432570[/snapback]

Fitz and Holt, in that order, are at the top of my wish list. Looking at the guys who will select between now and my next pick - 3 teams with 2 selections each - I'm guessing at least 2, possibly 3 or 4 WRs will be taken by the time I pick. So it's doubtful either of those guys slip through. Then again, I never would have thought Jordan would slip to me in round 3!