[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Brees vs Vick

spain

Considering that Brees is already injured, you've already got the out. :D

1449151[/snapback]

Considering Vicks injury history I'd say that is more than fair. Come on, what say a Falcants fan? Lets do this bet, which QB has the better passer rating by seasons end barring injury to either QB. Or we can do completion percentage or passing yards or whatever.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought that Brees had a better chance of being an impact player early on in his career than Vick. The offense that Brees played in at Purdue was basically the NCAA's answer to what Martz did in St. Louis. He was better at reading defenses than any other QB in that draft.

And, of course, just the opposite happened: Brees stumbled big-time after getting the full-time gig, while Vick was a Pro Bowler in his second season. Then, oddly enough, Brees had a HUGE breakout year in '04 and Vick actually seemed to regress as a passer.

After Brees' injury in Week 17 last year, though, I'm not sure who will be the better QB down the stretch. Marty was dumbass for even playing Drew in that meaningless game.

Passer rating is probably the best judge, but if you want to do yardage or completion percentage I'd go for that as well.

1449088[/snapback]

:D that's lame. pure passing stats do not capture vick's effect on a game and you know it. that's like saying you'll settle a bet as to who's a better football player between bush and leinart by having them run a foot race.

what's wrong with using something like fantasy points under the default huddle scoring system? something that captures the things BOTH players do well relative to the other.

Considering Vicks injury history I'd say that is more than fair. Come on, what say a Falcants fan? Lets do this bet, which QB has the better passer rating by seasons end barring injury to either QB. Or we can do completion percentage or passing yards or whatever.

1449181[/snapback]

No way I give up my sig line.

That's Norm from Cheers. :D

How about which QB has the most total yardage from scrimmage at years end?

Its time again to re-visit one of the Huddles best known and hotly contested issues: Brees vs Vick.  A couple years ago, we had HUGH debates on who would be the best NFL QB.  Drees came out of Purdue the same year Vick came out of Va Tech.  Both had very impressive college careers and we argued the topic of who would project best in the NFL.  I was squarely in the Drew Brees camp and  thought that Brees, although not as athletically gifted as Vick, would have a better career.  Most Huddlers were just as convinced that Vick would change the QB position.  I thought Vick was simply too dumb to play QB in the NFL.  If you heard him speak coming out of college, you would realize how stupid he really is.  Anyway who was right?  Brees was finally given his shot 2 years ago and has played well.  Vick has improved the Falcons, but was he really worth the 1st pick and is he a better pro than Brees?  Who would you rather have if you were an NFL Gm?

1447793[/snapback]

Brees and Porter.

brees wasn't traded either.  he was allowed to walk for zero compensation.  atlanta could certainly do that with vick if they so chose.  :D

1448912[/snapback]

SD will get a comp pick for Brees, but that's kind of besides the point. Saying he was allowed to walk for zero compensation is really ignoring the reality of the situation, don't you think ?

Edited by Cordo

1449181[/snapback]

How about total TDs passing and/or rushing?

It took me a couple of mins to figure out why rajn was so adamantly in the Bress camp :D

I think it's hard to compare QBs based on any stat really. The bottom line is W and L. Vick was the victim of a porous defense last year and that affected people's perception of his ability. I think things will be better this year.

I think it's hard to compare QBs based on any stat really.  The bottom line is W and L.  Vick was the victim of a porous defense last year and that affected people's perception of his ability.  I think things will be better this year.

1449590[/snapback]

That and the play calling of Knapp sucked on a regular basis.

:D that's lame.  pure passing stats do not capture vick's effect on a game and you know it.  that's like saying you'll settle a bet as to who's a better football player between bush and leinart by having them run a foot race.

what's wrong with using something like fantasy points under the default huddle scoring system?  something that captures the things BOTH players do well relative to the other.

1449290[/snapback]

Doesn't the Huddles scoring system only give 4 points for a passing TD and doesn't it benefit rushing yards by a QB? I'd prefer a more objecive scoring system such as Fusions or Dynasty Wars.

No way I give up my sig line.

That's Norm from Cheers. :D

How about which QB has the most total yardage from scrimmage at years end?

1449457[/snapback]

I've had mine for years and it also currently includes a tribute to a good friend of my family. But I'd be willing to alter it for a week to include a sig. Total yardage would be fine with me as well.

How about total TDs passing and/or rushing?

It took me a couple of mins to figure out why rajn was so adamantly in the Bress camp  :D

I think it's hard to compare QBs based on any stat really.  The bottom line is W and L.  Vick was the victim of a porous defense last year and that affected people's perception of his ability.  I think things will be better this year.

1449590[/snapback]

LOL, I've been a Brees supporter well before he went to the Saints. You can't blame completion percentage on a porous defense. I notice nobody is jumping to take me up on that one, but I'll still go with TDs as well.

I've had mine for years and it also currently includes a tribute to a good friend of my family. But I'd be willing to alter it for a week to include a sig. Total yardage would be fine with me as well.

1449797[/snapback]

You da man rajncajn :D

Even if I win, I won't be asking you to alter your sig. Not with a tribute to a good family friend.

Your sig stays as is. :D

What's funny is that when Vick came out I was dying to have him on my fantasy squad. In fact I did draft him that year & held him on my squad for 3 seasons and ended up trading him(for what I can't remember, but it was a pretty good deal). I've only soured in Vick within the past couple of seasons. But still I have always liked Brees as a player since he was drafted by SD. I always argued that he got a bad rap for his early struggles & it turned out I was right. Vick, however, is what he is. A RB with a strong arm. He gets by on athletic ability alone, but as a QB he will never reach the elite status that everyone thought he would simply because he has a hard time reading defenses.

Edited by rajncajn

You can't blame completion percentage on a porous defense. I notice nobody is jumping to take me up on that one, but I'll still go with TDs as well.

1449797[/snapback]

well, you're not jumping to take me up on rushing yards, either. come on, sack up :D

You da man rajncajn :D

Even if I win, I won't be asking you to alter your sig. Not with a tribute to a good family friend.

Your sig stays as is. :D

1449807[/snapback]

I'll settle for bragging rights. :D

well, you're not jumping to take me up on rushing yards, either.  come on, sack up :D

1450178[/snapback]

Shaddup Azz... :D:D

:D Waiting paitiently for someone to sack up & take the bet.

1448962[/snapback]

" I'm your huckleberry "

What are the terms? I can't go with pure passer rating. Rushing has to be added into it somehow. What is wrong with pure fantasy numbers?

He gets by on athletic ability alone, but as a QB he will never reach the elite status that everyone thought he would simply because he has a hard time reading defenses.

1449810[/snapback]

Does C' Pep make it to elite status then, people say he can't read a defense either?

" I'm your huckleberry "

What are the terms?  I can't go with pure passer rating. Rushing has to be added into it somehow.  What is wrong with pure fantasy numbers?

1450440[/snapback]

Sheesh, I've already got 4 people saying they'll take the bet. But so far it's just been for bragging rights which is fine by me as well as I can't do money.. Pure fantasy numbers are fine, but it was proposed that we use the Huddles scoring system which only gives 4 points for a passing TD & added bonuses to rushing yards for QBs. A bit of an unfair advantage IMO. I proposed that we use Fusion or Dynasty Wars scoring.

Does C' Pep make it to elite status then, people say he can't read a defense either?

1450460[/snapback]

The jury is still out on CPep, but he can certainly read defenses better than Vick. I think he'll do good with Miami.